Why is Indian Animation/Cartoons so incredibly bad?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Animation will take some time to improve in India....
but Indian comics are @ par with DC/Marvel comics...paper quality improved,so as the Graphic Art,Design etc

cyborg47

Technomancer
but Indian comics are @ par with DC/Marvel comics...paper quality improved,so as the Graphic Art,Design etc

True, do people remember the Hanuman comics back in the 90s? The art style was miles ahead than the DC or Marvel comics. I still remember the artwork so well, no interpretation of Hanuman matches this one.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It isn't the quality of the drawing or anything else of that sort which causes animation to be bad in India. Rather, it is the lack of detail in the animations itself that causes it to be bad.

For example, when someone is speaking, instead of some lipsyncing, most indian animation studios just do open-close mouth motions. Then, the characters themselves appear unnaturally animated. There is no concept of "camera motion" in many cartoon animations. Environmental animation is lacking or non-existent.

For 3D rendered animations, a lot of the above applies, apart from the low polycount, low-res rendering, low quality effects and a lack of effort to blend animation with real acting.

Of course there are exceptions, but the above applies in case of most.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
just realized Indian animation is not bad at all
we make pretty good animated movies, among the best - Finding Nemo, Madagascar, Cars, Wall-E and Up! check out this 2010 src (pdf) for more detailed info

And Prime Focus World, a company founded in Mumbai has worked on the very best
Prime Focus has had the honor of helping to bring some of the best-known Hollywood feature film releases to spectacular life, including the critically acclaimed Gravity for director Alfonso Cuarón, and the stereo re-release of the 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz. Other films we have partnered on include The Great Gatsby (2013), White House Down, World War Z, Men in Black 3, Star Wars: Episodes I, II & III, Dredd 3D, Total Recall (2012), Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Resident Evil: Retribution, Green Lantern, Immortals, Wrath of the Titans, Mirror Mirror, Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Avatar
homepage of Prime Focus World

looks like our local production houses cannot or are not willing to afford good quality animation. in the credits, seen some of our own animation outsourced to ukraine and korea instead of being made locally. not saying the country of origin makes a diff, but the budgets do.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I haven't read the whole thread, but here are my views.

The first reason I think Indian animation industry "sucks" is because of lack of good producers. The only good producers are the ones who use a narrow or limited subject matter that only a small demographic would appreciate as opposed to international flicks that are made to market to an international audience. Indian producers are not trying to do something revolutionary or groundbreaking, either because they are not confident that it would sell or because they just because they have more money than brains.

Secondly, In India, everything thinks that Animated movies and serials are for Kids. This is why producers are only making animated features aimed at kids.

Thirdly, there is no quality control. When high budget international animated movies are outsourced to Indian studios, there is a representative who verifies whether the animations are of the right quality that the standard requires, that is why their movies look much more polished than fully Indian animated features where quality control is taken with a pinch of salt.

Fourthly, Marketing. Making animated feature films to sell to Indian audiences will not sell much because of the mentality. If they want any success, they will want to market to an international audience and to do that they need to maintain the standard that is demanded at the international level. They should learn from Japan, who markets everything in a manner that it would be appealing to an international audience as well as at home. That what I like about Anime and Manga. Some of them are made in a way that it is very location and culturally neutral, such that any person around the world could feel connected to it and/or imagine it in their own manner.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I haven't read the whole thread, but here are my views.

The first reason I think Indian animation industry "sucks" is because of lack of good producers. The only good producers are the ones who use a narrow or limited subject matter that only a small demographic would appreciate as opposed to international flicks that are made to market to an international audience. Indian producers are not trying to do something revolutionary or groundbreaking, either because they are not confident that it would sell or because they just because they have more money than brains.

Secondly, In India, everything thinks that Animated movies and serials are for Kids. This is why producers are only making animated features aimed at kids.

Thirdly, there is no quality control. When high budget international animated movies are outsourced to Indian studios, there is a representative who verifies whether the animations are of the right quality that the standard requires, that is why their movies look much more polished than fully Indian animated features where quality control is taken with a pinch of salt.

Fourthly, Marketing. Making animated feature films to sell to Indian audiences will not sell much because of the mentality. If they want any success, they will want to market to an international audience and to do that they need to maintain the standard that is demanded at the international level. They should learn from Japan, who markets everything in a manner that it would be appealing to an international audience as well as at home. That what I like about Anime and Manga. Some of them are made in a way that it is very location and culturally neutral, such that any person around the world could feel connected to it and/or imagine it in their own manner.

Right on good sir !!!!

Top Bottom