Why is Indian Animation/Cartoons so incredibly bad?

Tobuscus

Broken In
The title says it all.This is a hate thread:wink:

I watch a few cartoon channels (or rather i'm forced to by my little cousins),and everyone of them features at least one Indian cartoon which sucks really bad. For example, Chota Bheem, a relatively better cartoon.

The cartoon has very poor animation and even poorer drawings. Come on,I don't think the animators even know what they're drawing half the time. :shock:
The English in it is poor but relatively better. Often there are stupid & funny uses of phrases which make u LOL quite hard.:p

Then,there's the plot of each episode.....which is just....soo crappy & predictable.
Have you guys seen the number of Krishna,Hanuman, & Mahabharata animated movies recently? They lack creativity,talent & brains.

Overall, I feel less proud of my country after every episode. :-(:-(:cry::cry:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
low budgets, some of the big budgets movies have a ton of animators who do exceptional work, you will not even notice it is animation most of the time (Golmal 3, Houseful 2 etc)

animation is not cheap its very expensive

Flash

Lost in speed
We lack resources. As anorion said Indian cinema has Budget constraints.
Our makers can make 3-masala movies for the money of single animation movie.

Indian animation movies are still underlings among world cinema.

sujoyp

Grand Master
our animation industry is totally depend on outsourcing projects ....one of my friend was working on Shreak 2 movie in 2008 ...and he told me that most part of that movie was made in india....just that since it was an outsource project no body can claim its made in india

Flash

Lost in speed
our animation industry is totally depend on outsourcing projects ....one of my friend was working on Shreak 2 movie in 2008 ...and he told me that most part of that movie was made in india....just that since it was an outsource project no body can claim its made in india

Indian companies do character-modelling for big movie & game companies. But, what we need is a FULL-and-FULL world class animated movie. It makes me feel that WE LACK INNOVATION and IDEA.

We have to learn a lot from Disney & pixar. Animated movies should give us a sense of belonging to the movie itself.

I almost cried at the climax of Ratotouille, where Anton Ego recollects the feelings of his childhood on tasting the Ratatouille.

Dont say me sissy. Thats the level of achievement, indian animated movies need.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Indian animators do not get Big Budget and most importantly time well it is dependent on budget..

If you talk about hollywood there they take month for pre-production then month or two in production and again months for post production.. and this all for any average movie.

movies like avatar and nay other good movies takes years to finish..

but here producers want their output in less then 6 months.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
think we export bits and pieces of all sorts
knowledge, and creativity also, apart from core animation inc models, rigs, textures, lights, poses, ... list is endless actually

its not a technical prolem, our movies look a lot more processed. In fact multi- layer compositions, green-screening, animation and colour correction are all used superflously and carelessly to the point of being overused, as against most foreign productions - they have smaller more focussed, and much more complicated cgi segments interspersed with camera only sequences
there is no demand for only animation productions here, people still think animation is for kids, and there is a lot more demand for big stars. just look at how colourful and glamerous our movies are, dont think even james bond producers spent as much time on touching up the lead actor's abs as we regularly do in our films
these big budget movies include plenty of real good animation

6Diablo9

How to change user title?
First of all there should be audience for Animated movies. Most of people in India think that Animation is for kids. And so Indian animation makers here focus the stories more towards kids, therefore crappy. If you compare Anime in Japan, even the Adults go over there for these movies or at least many of them watch it on TV. There is different genre targeted towards different age, sex. And the're sure that at least someone is gonna watch their show on TV. But in India if you tell people that you watch Cartoon/Anime you're sure to be ridiculed. Thats why creating cartoons in India is not a very high paid job. Indians do have lot of potential of creating Cartoons or at least the Animation part, thats why lot of it is outsourced by Hollywood giants(where there is more audience for that media).

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^what tech are you talking about? the bleeding edge technology is created in tandem with production demands
we are as good, only we dont have fully animated movies... matter of time till some good filmmaker/ studio masters this technique if and when animation clicks here

Flash

Lost in speed
We need world class animation movies. Our producers/directors are unaware of the trends in animation.
Though we use animation in special shots, none is bold enough to produce a full-length-animation-movie.

We need guys like John Lassetter & Brad Bird.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
we need some common ground
chacha choudry animation will be hit?
or panchatantra animation will be hit?
it's not so hard. it's not like all hollywood movies are original concepts. almost none of the big hits are. Avatar is only exception, everything else is based on something else, a comic, a novel, or an adventure ride, or something.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^Arthur C clarke who writes 2001: A Space Odyssey (donno if he was living in Sri Lanka at that point), or Michael Crichton who pens Jurassic Park, Congo, Disclosure, Sphere and so many others... you can make a list of movies that followed books. the best we can do is Chetan Bhagat and Amish Tripathi. only hipsters are aware the Blue Umbrella exists.
our cinema is at a better level than our literature, maybe our writers suck
look at our music, our movies, all copied instead of something original.
our studios are top grade, we have many as good and better than the best. our mainstream industry is the biggest in the world, and that requires a ton of cgi. we may not have Massive sims, but we sure got loads of Smokes - think we might just be the biggest industry for FMCG shots (think pens, cereals, soaps, washing powders, toothpastes, shampoos, facials, deodorants, paints, chocolates, creams and all those stuff .... someone sits animates all that stuff)
at copying we are baap of all, wud rate gol mal 3 above pulp fiction or matrix in terms of pure pop culture references per second.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Do you mean HANUMAN-the animated movie?

We should appreciate our attempt in Roadside Romeo

yes,hanuman,bal ganesh and many more.. but point is if you want audience you need to show something new..not same story that every one knows about.. and personally I am always against any religions and religious things.. (no offence and I meant all religions not any one. and it is just an personal opinion. )

and yes roadside romeo was very good attempt but again story was very weak.. same Indian Love story , they just removed humans and added Dogs in it ... :lol:

and +1 to Anorion.. would love to watch chacha chaudhry, akbar birbal, panchtantra.. .well anyway I love all Animated movies and have watched many and yes I do go in Theater to watch..

Top Bottom