Which One To Opt For ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
mediator said:
^Or u can get FC6 from some PC magazine.

Then, U shud take a look here and u'll discover new meanings of the word "juicy"!

well mate i was talking bout default look of distro , otherwise u can endlessly customize ur installation n be happy .

a polished interface distro looks much appealing , like when u install SLED it installs grub but it's GRUB is a customized version with a SLED background n very good looks .

nyways , my point is Ubuntu is one of the best looking distros out there , Kubuntu is another story btw :D

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
although i m having a fats broadband connection...i wud like to ask y r u ppl recommending fast connect for ubuntu ?? n one more thing..ubuntu is the best for first time users ? does this means it is the basic of linux ?? i have mentioned earlier that i wud like to switch to the most advanced version of linux n not the basic one...

also i was chking out the ubuntu website....i stated that ubuntu 7.04 is till 2008 only ..will it expire after that ???

Thnx

BlackBerry7100g..

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
BlackBerry7100g said:
although i m having a fats broadband connection...i wud like to ask y r u ppl recommending fast connect for ubuntu ??
Cos ubuntu just comes with minimal of softwares to get started with. Doesn't give too many choices which can confuse new users. So, you need good connection to download additional software and customise the system as per your needs. Also, with open source development moves a lot faster so you will get a lot more updates.
BlackBerry7100g said:
n one more thing..ubuntu is the best for first time users ? does this means it is the basic of linux ?? [/quoute] It means it makes things easier for new users by it's newbie friendly approach. Some of them being - small default install so new users need not be confused with plethora of softwares at their disposal, huge documentation, including some proprietory drivers, etc.
BlackBerry7100g said:
i have mentioned earlier that i wud like to switch to the most advanced version of linux n not the basic one...
There's LFS, Gentoo, Slackware.

BlackBerry7100g said:
also i was chking out the ubuntu website....i stated that ubuntu 7.04 is till 2008 only ..will it expire after that ???
Updates and security fixes will be supplied till 2008 but I hardly see anyone who hasn't updated to latest version that is released. And their release cycle spans 6 months. So, next version will be coming around 10-2007.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@Blackberry, you said that you have not used linux before, and that you would like to use it.

Trust me man, Gentoo, LFS are not for first time users. You can always use them, and have no problems, but the question is, do you have enough time to learn things the hard way? Once you learn everything, then as already said by tech_your_future, the powerusers love those distros. But can you spend that time in learning.

And you first asked for advanced features. Advanced features like what? I have used about 4-5 Distros till date and the difference was in look, feel, stability, support, community. In short all distros have their existence. All are different, so please mention what advanced features you are looking for.

The best idea is to go for Ubuntu, it is not anything less than the rest of the distros. It just does not confuse the noobs and also has a very good community support, so if you have any troubles, you will always find solutions for sure.

Again, I don't know why, but I like the look and feel of SuSE. The choice is yours.

Aditya

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

CONCLUSION :: First trying ubuntu then switching onto FC or Open SuSE ! btw ..wen is Open SuSE 10.3 gonna release ?

amitava82

MMO Addict
Many windows users have this confusion that Linux is difficult to use and its only for Geeks. So I'm conducting a sort of experiment. here is the deal. I'll gift my PC to my 10 years old sister with Edubuntu installed on it. NO WINDOWS. she does not have any computer knowledge apart from running MS Paint. I'll guide for one week and after that she is on her own. Let me see how heard linux is for a new user (a kid!) according to MS boys. I'll post the report after one month.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
BlackBerry7100g said:
CONCLUSION :: First trying ubuntu then switching onto FC or Open SuSE ! btw ..wen is Open SuSE 10.3 gonna release ?

well you're underestimating ubuntu mate , it can doo all that other distros can do , it's just that it's easier to do that in ubuntu also it has a very big community support in the form of it's forums so u can get help almost instantly there.

Also , MOST of the linux EXPERT tasks r done at the COMMAND LINE so it doesn't matter what you're usin , you'll be doin all the serious stuff in the CMD .

amitava82 said:
Many windows users have this confusion that Linux is difficult to use and its only for Geeks. So I'm conducting a sort of experiment. here is the deal. I'll gift my PC to my 10 years old sister with Edubuntu installed on it. NO WINDOWS. she does not have any computer knowledge apart from running MS Paint. I'll guide for one week and after that she is on her own. Let me see how heard linux is for a new user (a kid!) according to MS boys. I'll post the report after one month.

mate , please don't use the word Fanboys or Windows Boys here , u're the one who'se starting the Win vs Linux Vs Mac topic in this thread , so u shud be called a Fanboy , eh :cool:

amitava82

MMO Addict
^^ neither i used "Fanboys" nor "Windows boys". I don't have any intention of starting a war. may be u r little sensitive to those words.. :lol: be cool :cool:

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

well guys...i downloaded ubuntu.... i m experiencing prbs in installing that... i m having 6 partitions [ C D E F G H ] of NTFS file system ...wen ubuntu installer asks that select the partition on which u wanna install ubuntu [ i want to install on G: ] n select for G: its gives an error wen i press he fwd button that root directory not mentioned n sumthing like swap ...wats this ?? Plz help me in installing ubuntu...

Possible

Custom User Title
You need to split a little of its space and make a filesystem of 'linux-swap'. Its VFS for Linux, necessary.

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

how to make that "possible" ??

i know how to split but dunno how to make a filesystem of 'linux-swap !! :confused:

Last edited:

Possible

Custom User Title
Oh its easy, the list box where you choose ext3 has a linux-swap. Just select that, it needs no mount point either.

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

ok thnx...will try n post in 2 mins...

*i14.tinypic.com/43y5kt4.png

wat to do at this moment...plz explain step by step :confused:

also ...rite now i m running ubuntu thru live cd...n haven't installed it...graphics are weird..

here's my config..P4 3.2 GHz ...2 GB RAM n 128 MB Onboard Graphics Card

Last edited:

Possible

Custom User Title
Make free space of 1.5x your RAM, double click the free space, in the Filesystem dropdown box, choose swap and hit ok. Then make that other partition of ext3 and set its mount point as /. Done, proceed.

amitava82

MMO Addict
isn't 500 MB Swap is sufficient considering he has 2GB RAM? i have 1 GB ram, I've made 500 MB swap and ubuntu hardly use any swap from that...

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Yes, 500MB ram ought to be enough when you have 2 GB ram.

@Blackberry,

Go to system > Admin Tasks > Gnome Partition Editor.

Then Delete the partition sda9. Then create a new partition by right clicking on the free space and selecting new. Let the size be 8000MB. Make the filesystem ext3. Then create another partition of remaining space and select the filesystem to be swap. Then proceed. I am not sure that you can have more than 4 primary partitions with linux. So you might have a problem, but give it a try. It looks as you have extended partitions judging by the names. Try it.

Then go ahead with installation. At the 4th step, right click on the 8000MB and type
Code:
/
Where it says Mount Point. I think Ubuntu auto configures the swap. So once you select the root ie:-'/' partition, click next and go ahead.

Hope this helps.

Aditya

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
amitava82 said:
Let me see how heard linux is for a new user (a kid!) according to MS boys. I'll post the report after one month.
oh yeah , then wat's this ?

aditya.shevade said:
I am not sure that you can have more than 4 primary partitions with linux. So you might have a problem, but give it a try. It looks as you have extended partitions judging by the names. Try it.

well it's not actually dependant on linux , Technically, a hard disk may contain as many as four primary partitions it's not dependant on OS .

n i suggest that a swap space of 1 gig might be optimal , although wherever i've read they say Swap must be 3-4 times your RAM , dunno wha logic is used in that ?

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Well OK, technically 4. But do you have any idea why only 4? What if someone wants more than 4 OS? What should be done in that case? I have seen people go with triple boot, even I have a triple boot. You never know, people might soon go for more than 4 OSs.

Aditya

mediator

Technomancer
3-4 times? :shock: where did u read that? I used to read that its like twice the size of RAM but that too when u do memory intensive operations!
*www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-swap-adding.html

With 2 GB RAM I dont think that a swap is even required! I have 512 MB RAM and normally xmms,10+ webpages,gimp and a few pics can be found open on my PC these days with only around 30 MB swap being used out of the 300 Mb that I have allocated!

So @BlackBerry : Even if ur planning to run Oracle Server side by side of a few applications like I do, then also I think a maximum of 500 MB swap will be more than enough for ur configuration. If ur just a desktop user, then u may add a 100 MB swap or may be no swap at all! DOn't worry, when I installed Suse 9.1 personal when I was a noobie I didn't install any swap, but still I cud play xmms, open 10+ web pages etc! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom