Which One To Opt For ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
i wanna switch over to Linux .........

there are three options available for me : uBuntu 7.04 , Fedora Core 6 n the Open SuSE 10.2 !! But i wudn't like to opt for FD 6 coz FD 7 is goin to be launched on 24/5/07..

i wud like to take advice from all members here that which 1 the best in terms of features n graphical interface .....

Plz suggest me fast...

Thnx

BlackBerry7100g...

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

sry guys...mods u can move it in open source.....but keep the replies coming ! :D

and one more thing....can i triple boot linux wid my Windows XP Prof. & Windows Vista Ultimate ?....also suggest me some good apps for linux...

Last edited:

Third Eye

gooby pls
BlackBerry7100g said:
and one more thing....can i triple boot linux wid my Windows XP Prof. & Windows Vista Ultimate ?....also suggest me some good apps for linux...

Yeah

BlackBerry7100g said:
i wanna switch over to Linux .........

there are three options available for me : uBuntu 7.04 , Fedora Core 6 n the Open SuSE 10.2 !! But i wudn't like to opt for FD 6 coz FD 7 is goin to be launched on 24/5/07..

Ubuntu is the best

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i think U Should try Ubuntu 7.04 or PCLinuxOS 2007

while ubuntu has a GUI for easily installing Codecs , etc propreitary soft ,
PCLinuxOS 2007 version comes bundled with all propreitary drivers.

also the interface os PCLinuxOs is much more polished n beautiful than the default ubuntu .
*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/d/519-2/boot13.jpg
*debianadmin.com/copper/albums/ubuntu7/1.png

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
PC Linux login screen looks juicy. Nice work zeeshan, but next time, resize the images to 640X480 or link them

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you are a n00b, I'd suggest using Ubuntu and get a hang of what Linux is all about. You can then graduate to FC or SuSE.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
If you are a n00b, I'd suggest using Ubuntu and get a hang of what Linux is all about. You can then graduate to FC or SuSE.
What do you mean by graduate to FC or SUSE? What can ubuntu not do that they can?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Sorry, I didnt mean that Ubuntu is an incapable OS. Ubuntu is quite capable by itself. I meant that once he gets used to the basic terminologies and concepts of Linux, he can try experimenting with other distros.

Sorry for the offence.

mehulved

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Sorry, I didnt mean that Ubuntu is an incapable OS. Ubuntu is quite capable by itself. I meant that once he gets used to the basic terminologies and concepts of Linux, he can try experimenting with other distros.

Sorry for the offence.
I didn't take any offence but I wanted to know what made you think so, specially since you used the word graduated.
If you'd mentioned graduate to debian/slackware/gentoo/freebsd, that would be understandable as these are considered distros that are difficult to begin with. But, nonetheless they offer so much more ease for power users who're used to it.

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

hey guys ...thnx for ur replies...

i m more interested in that version of Linux which has advanced features ! ....n wats abt the apps for linux ??? plz suggest sum apps......

also, can i run the games in Linux like NFS , CS etc... ? n temme one more thing ...wats the procedure to install Linux ? is it the same way as we install windows ?

Thnx

BlackBerry7100g. :D

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well most apps come bundled with your distro so you won't need to install any extra apps for em , n even if u do there r very good gui's(like tho software manager in ubuntu , or the ubiquitous Synaptic) that will help u find apps for the task u wanna do.

if u specifically tell me what u wanna do then i'll be able to suggest you apps or you can browse the app lists posted by digitian in this thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6478

mehulved

BlackBerry7100g said:
i m more interested in that version of Linux which has advanced features ! ....
Linux from scratch
BlackBerry7100g said:
n wats abt the apps for linux ??? plz suggest sum apps......
Like what? There are just too many and they all serve varied purpose
BlackBerry7100g said:
also, can i run the games in Linux like NFS , CS etc... ?
Well there are linux ports for a few games but well gaming on linux hasn't exactly taken off. There's wine and it's commercial counterpart cedega but neither can match what windows can do natively. The problematic part is DirectX
BlackBerry7100g said:
n temme one more thing ...wats the procedure to install Linux ? is it the same way as we install windows ?
More or less similar but again depends a bit on which distro you are gonna isntall.

Pathik

Google Bot
Well go ubuntu only if u have a fast broadband connection... else go for Fedora Core 6 or Open suse 10.2...

mediator

Technomancer
^Or u can get FC6 from some PC magazine.

gx_saurav said:
PC Linux login screen looks juicy. Nice work zeeshan, but next time, resize the images to 640X480 or link them
Then, U shud take a look here and u'll discover new meanings of the word "juicy"!

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Having tried OpenSuSE 10.2 and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, I would suggest that you start with Ubuntu. It really is better for first time users.

As far as my choice goes, I like SuSE more than I like Ubuntu.

For triple boot, it has already been answered, yes you can. I have currently SuSE, Win, Ubuntu triple boot.

As suggested by pathiks, you need broadband for Ubuntu, as the CD does not come with many apps. SuSE is much better in apps selection (source, various reviews I have read).

And if you are looking for an easy to use distro, then Ubuntu is the one for you, it suggests codec installations. You don't have to worry about administration tasks. The update manager is very good. But with suse you can have some trouble in enabling the mp3 support for Amarok, plus you need to D/L vlc, add repos and all.

Now it's upto you to decide.

Aditya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom