Which One To Opt For ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aditya.shevade said:
^^ Well OK, technically 4. But do you have any idea why only 4? What if someone wants more than 4 OS? What should be done in that case? I have seen people go with triple boot, even I have a triple boot. You never know, people might soon go for more than 4 OSs.

Aditya

it's not necessary to install an OS on a primary partition most new OS'es have the ability to boot from Extended partitions too , so in effect you can have 3 primary partitions n one extended partition which may be subdivided into logical ,n technically the number of logical partitions is not limited to a specific value so you can very well deca-boot :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Unless you are into graphics intensive or media editing you will hardly even need swap with 2GB of RAM. 2xRAM was applicable in older kernels, newer ones need maximum 1.5XRAM but with 2GB of RAM, he can even do without swap but just in case he can keep a swap of 200-300MB or even 500MB if needed.

blackberry, just go to disk partitioner in windows and delete whatever partition you want, don't format it to any filesystem. Then start installation again. This time while partitioning comes, select use free space. It will automatically create the required partitions.
As for the graphics trouble, which onboard card do you have?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well most of the system's i have tried installing ubuntu(line cd version) give problem so this time i've only downloaded the alternate version , it works perfectly .

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
tech_your_future said:
As for the graphics trouble, which onboard card do you have?

hey tech... i m having the Intel 915 GL Chipset ...

Possible said:
Make free space of 1.5x your RAM, that other partition of

does this means i have to make a partition of 1.5*1024 MB ??? :(

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
BlackBerry7100g said:
hey tech... i m having the Intel 915 GL Chipset ...
I think it should work quite smooth with i810 driver. I guess the slowness is due to the fact that you're running it from CD, CD's are way than hard disks.
BlackBerry7100g said:
does this means i have to make a partition of 1.5*1024 MB ??? :(
No. 1.5x is the max. size. I don't think you will ever need that much. Anyways no one should have more than 1GB of swap unless they're into graphics or multimedia editing and stuff.
I myself have 768MB of RAM and my swap partition is 768MB too, but I don't recall more than 150MB ever being used. Even 150 was touched when I had beryl, openoffice.org, azureus, conky(updating every min) and opera(had some bug back then) and about half a dozen other apps running.
I doubt that you would be ever needing swap really.
Not even when running 3D desktop.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
pathiks said:
Well go ubuntu only if u have a fast broadband connection... else go for Fedora Core 6 or Open suse 10.2...

Why is the broadband connection speed important here ? Updates ?

Vivek788

In the zone
i love ubuntu but the 7.04 beta and now the final is not being installed at all ...it stuck
Can u suggest the distro having gud resemblance with ubuntu?

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
vignesh said:
Why is the broadband connection speed important here ? Updates ?

Ubuntu CD comes with minimal packages. I have no idea about DVD. But if you compare SuSE's S/W list and Ubuntu's.... then you will know why you need a broadband connection.

It is mainly for getting S/Ws which are not provided in the CD, plus updates.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I think ubuntu has almost everything a basic desktop needs except the restricted formats.. anyway ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom