what makes apple a winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Not necessarily. Installing Ubuntu on a custom built PC is far easier than Mac OS X.
That's like saying it is far easier to wash dishes in a dish washer than a washing machine.

Mac OS X is only meant to be installed on a Mac, unlike Ubuntu, which can be installed on basically any computer which meets it's minimum hardware requirements.

chandru.in

In the zone
That's like saying it is far easier to wash dishes in a dish washer than a washing machine.

Mac OS X is only meant to be installed on a Mac, unlike Ubuntu, which can be installed on basically any computer which meets it's minimum hardware requirements.
That's why I said apple is not necessarily better than Linux. What is it that you didn't understand?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
That's why I said apple is not necessarily better than Linux. What is it that you didn't understand?
What I don't understand is why would you want to bring up the topic of installation on custom machines when that is something Mac OS X is just not made for. If it were a discussion of Linux and Windows Vista, then it would've made sense. In case of Mac and Linux the installation factor just cannot be brought in to the discussion.

chandru.in

In the zone
What I don't understand is why would you want to bring up the topic of installation on custom machines when that is something Mac OS X is just not made for.
To show that Apple is not always better than Linux. Ability to run on custom built systems is indeed a positive trait of a platform.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
NucleusKore said:
Addendum: I have seen the iphone and the ipod.

Revolutionary? YES

Worth the price of freedom? No
You sound like "RUN RUN! The machines are taking over!!!" kind. :rolleyes:

krazzy said:
:lol:

chandru.in said:
Ability to run on custom built systems is indeed a positive trait of a platform.
I second that.
But why do we need such discussions? Mac>Linux, Linux>Mac, Lin>Win .. :confused:
There are specific scenarios where one subdues the other. If Macs are useless; why does it have substantially more market share than all-linux-distros-combined?

Psychosocial said:
No way Mac OSX can be better than Linux.
Now THAT may not be binding as well.

4T7

Journeyman
If I am not mistaken, aren't the things you mentioned Open Source? Then how come taking something from the Open Source community called 'stealing'? Isn't that the whole funda of Open Source?
Well the BSD license permits you to steal :p

OK...

Apple>Windows
Linux<Apple

winner = Apple

everyone happy ?
That was a joke right? :p

Last edited:

chooza

Journeyman
Hi,
I simply just didn't understand why there are such comparisons. All three are totally different from each other in every respect. When apple was designed for Graphics, movies editing(remember TITANIC was develpod on Linux Plateform), Windows or PC was developed for mass, and Linux was designd just as a cult product by programmers from all over the world>Apple have their own tightly integrated system, you cannot make a device driver or softwares just out of thought. Windows or PC have a very strong vender base, huge array of softwares, and Linux is you just think abt feature and they have it.When we talk about ipod, dont we think its just a followership, (Hey, he have one, I will have my own too.),,please Use products from Creative. They are far better then Ipod, whether quality, features, etc.imp. price. So please, dont start any thread just becoz of personal exp and give your verdict.

vandit

In the zone
yup ipod cant be called an invention. There were many music players available before ipod was rolled out.
apple a winner ?? not really.
ok why do we need a phone which has touchscreen with features like zoom, rearranging icons, tilt detection etc and compromises on features like bluetooth file transfer, video recording etc. for a feature wise comparison check this out....
*vandit007.blogspot.com/2008/12/benchmarking-approaches-insanity.html

ok apple guys may argue that bt-file transfer was left out to decrease piracy of sound files but shouldnt they have adopted the symbian approach to not allow protected files to be sent over bluetooth.
Moreover there are restricitions on the mobile operator you can choose(without breaching the warranty that is....)
and who wants an OS on which I cant play call of duty world at war ???

pickster

Professional Layabout.
Why linux isint so popular is because majority of computer owners are people who are not geeks/exposed to things like that.

they see a Mac, they see people with Macs, and they think, "that machine is sexy! that interface is slick! i want one!"
that doesnt mean Macs are just for show. its just that people go for whatever works for them.

if macs are too expensive, then the obvious choice is Windows.
Lets be realistic here, how many people who are not that into computers would try Linux? and how many of them would try OS X?

aura

Sync dreams to reality
Apple has a confined and closed ecosystem of software and product development like the mac software and hardware are closely integrated and it will not work with any other hardware and so on.

This really generates a lot of curosity amongst people about the product and hence people but it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom