what makes apple a winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix

they make such revolutionary products. for eg the ipod was something never before seen. nobody at that time had thought a player with 2-3 buttons could do so much. and ease of use, beauty et al.
and now to the iphone, their touchscreen phone still doesnt have a serious competitor. you may say its better marketing.. but you cant deny the fact that it works well, its got stunning display, very responsive touch screen.

the OS is also supposed to be fast, light .. no bugs/viruses(very few atleast). whatever they make seems to be a hit. their laptops are sleek , sexy and functional for the common person. so what makes that company work? is it because they are looking into the future? while other companies are busy improvinsing what they already have??

mrintech

Technomancer
The best est thing (not thing literally) is Steve Jobs. Just get your hands on his Biography and you will know how he suffered his earlier days of life.

He is a Man of Iron Nerves, as he never setback whenever life screwed him.

Must Read his Biography ;)

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
The initial feeling of being special by owning an apple product.
the feeling of being superior by owning an apple product.
The marketing genius that is Steve jobs.
And all thanks to apple customers. They spread the feeling !

Ya of course, Design then comes 3rd. Quality 4th. Features Last, some where down the line at Position 100.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
^^^I would rather think otherwise.
You have got to give due where it is.Apples do make great products.
Nothing came close to ipod.Same with iphone.
I hated iphone before, i mean saw the reviews and the deficiencies in the functionality and the lack of features.And i cursed a gadget like iphone.
However this was untill i actually got one and then it was totally different experience. I could never later go back to my Windows based HTC mobile,though it had more features than iphone because iphone made things so pleasing to operate and so simple.Its totally different world out there.I mean you have got to own it to actually know its values.One cannot just compare 2 products and arrive at have and have-nots.
Same with Macs i suppose.Ya i have been using Hackintosh for a while , and leopard looks good though personally i am more comfortable with Vista.Still Leopard wasnt a bad shot and i still believe had i used leopard for another month i would have been hooked.But you cannot judge mac leopard with Hackintosh.You need to use and own mac pro or imac for that.
P.S.Everything , every single hardware worked on my Hackintosh and i was able to get Quartz extreme to work along with airport and everything.I love working with imovie,i still need to use hackintosh.
Actually this is not a comparison.Its and an opinion.
I still think getting work done is more important.The way you do it is not.
Its like Religion.Work is you God and religions are like operating systems ,like your mode of arriving at the destination.Your God.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
forever said:
I still think getting work done is more important.The way you do it is not.
I think bit differently. I think both of them are a 50-50. OR 60-40 at the most. And thats where Apple scores. They have a really improved way of doing things that have been done before.

The products dont have out of the world features; they just work on one of the features and it makes their products stand out in the crowd.

This kinda strategy has both, good and bad aspects. Apple ignores the bad side and carries on. They are an arrogant company, no denying at that. But their arrogance does not come in the way of people who want to adopt their products.

And yeah, there is a sense of superiority/eliteness associated with owning their products, despite the products being minimalistic and simple.

But yeah, I'd like them to hear out to the demands of users a bit more. I mean, just 2 USB ports in the base Macbook? No way of sending files from iPhone to other devices using Bluetooth? Common! :neutral:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The combination of Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive.

Never compromise on cost and quality attitude. (only time they compromised on quality was for iphone 3G with cheapo grade plastic and we all know what happened).

Regular udpates to product line.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Aesthetics, attention to details, out-of-the-box thinking, customer service and the ability to take decisions and sticking to it even if people don't always agree with them on it.

Also Apple does not really innovate. They take current ideas and then take it to a completely different level and leave people scratching their heads and thinking 'why didn't we thought of that?'. Good example is iPhone. It's not the idea. It's the execution.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
nobody at that time had thought a player with 2-3 buttons could do so much

That isnt apple's original product. They used it and patented it, only because the previous patent expired as the original inventor didnt have enough money ($60000) to gte an international patent.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
That isnt apple's original product. They used it and patented it, only because the previous patent expired as the original inventor didnt have enough money ($60000) to gte an international patent.
that guys made a player which could hold around 3-4 minutes of music IF I am correct, much much before anyone.. late 70s? early 80s? I forgot the specifics, name.

chandru.in

In the zone
Apple does on its own what it does well, UI design. The rest of the core stuff it just steals from where license permits. BSD's kernel, D-Trace, KHTML (parent of Webkit), etc.

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Apple does on its won what it does well UI design. The rest of the core stuff it just steals from where license permits. BSD's kernel, D-Trace, KHTML (parent of Webkit), etc.

If I am not mistaken, aren't the things you mentioned Open Source? Then how come taking something from the Open Source community called 'stealing'? Isn't that the whole funda of Open Source?

chandru.in

In the zone
If I am not mistaken, aren't the things you mentioned Open Source? Then how come taking something from the Open Source community called 'stealing'? Isn't that the whole funda of Open Source?
No but only if they give back their contributions to the main projects. Forking it (webkit) or just running away with it is not good.

As I told unfortunately the licenses allow this. So it is not legally called stealing but morally it is.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You have a population so DUMB that they cannot recognise a monopoly when they see one

AND/OR

when they finally do realise it, are too lazy to do ANYTHING about it other than submitting meekly and cribbing about restrictions of freedom.

This applies to ALL monopolies.

Hope that answers the question.

Addendum: I have seen the iphone and the ipod.

Revolutionary? YES

Worth the price of freedom? No

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
See History and See Who started making thin laptops ( no not mackbook air, even before that ) and everyone knew Newton was ahead of its time . and Lisa And Apple II . Everything is Great

Also MackbookAir Pure Beauty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom