What is rooting ?

bubusam13

Human
Minutes before I was on iGyan website reading reviews on Micromax A70 where I came to this term rooting? What exactly is it ? Can someone explain.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Rooting is a process that allows users of mobile phones and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's Linux subsystem with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and manufacturers put on some devices. It is analogous to jailbreaking on devices running the Apple iOS operating system.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)
what is rooting? - Android Forums

In short you can make your phone do things that is not possible on stock firmware like Overclock the proccy,etc

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
So Micromax A70 have a 5MP camera which record video in VGA. So is it possible to make it record in HD by alterations in the firmware or will require extra hardware support ?

Sarath

iDota
I just spent the whole week studying this very thing. If you want me to provide links I will be happy to do so.

BTW you reminded me I was to go ahead with rooting my phone today. Fingers crossed.

Among all the bloat, I would like to mention a few things. Firstly, study about routing thoroughly and extensively and then go ahead with rooting your phone.
Secondly, rooting does not enhance hardware in anyway except to make it most efficient use. In other words, you can't make a vga cam take HD vids by rooting.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
All the best. I too do such things putting thousands of rupees at stake. When I was very new to computers, I opened it up to see wats inside and can I assemble it myself... fingerscrossed. Aniwy...

5MP camera is enough to take HD videos. I think so. And its just a firmware related issue. So I asked do I need additional hardware support and alterations in firmware is enough.

Yes, provide me the links.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No. Sorry but I donot think that you can make it record HD vids. YOu need a able processor(A70 processor cant do it)
Then you need sufficiently fast data speeds.

Soumik

Padawan
well, am having mixed feelings here. Please enlighten me.
What i feel is if the chipset running the camera is strong enough to bear HD video recording, its possible with software/firmware upgrade. eg: even if Micromax A85 doesnt officially support HD, am sure a dual core tegra 2 can deliver full HD videos.
But taking my Motorola Defy for example, it depends on the lens module which is installed in the device. Even though both the available variants have 5MP lens' , one can shoot HD videos, and the other cant.
So it must be dependant on the camera module itself too.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Even I recently read somewhere that Micromax A70 is a graphics unit in it. I have a reason to believe because the touch is too smooth.

@Soumik Does Micromax A85 it have flash and swipe. Swipe didnt install on A70. Does it have a GPU ? It is rebranded Wellcom's A100 available in Thailand.

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
The processor will most likely be the bottleneck. That means you wont receive optimum performance while recording HD videos, however most likely you wont be able to even record it in HD.

Micromax A70 isn't available worldwide hence might not have exclusive support.

Go to this link:
Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

I forgot these links were specific for my phone: PLEASE DON'T TRY THESE FOR YOUR PHONE. YOU RUN A RISK OF BRICKING IT
I am giving you a link to this excellent guide which will make you accustomed to the various methodology of rooting etc
[Guide] All in one 'Namaste guide' to Bootloader unlocking, Rooting, Flashing & more. - xda-developers

Sarath

iDota
^You're welcome. Most of all thank that guy who made that huuge post and has helped thousands like us newbies :))

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
bubusam13 said:
Even I recently read somewhere that Micromax A70 is a graphics unit in it. I have a reason to believe because the touch is too smooth.
Use a iPhone once and it redifines smooth :wink:

Anyways, no I dont think the A70 is enough to record 1080p HD. The iPhone with the latest 4s only became capable of doing it.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Ahh... you should not use the term only because there are other also that are capable of even doing more than just recording 1080p video. Full HD 1080p resolution videos in 2D and HD 720p resolution videos in 3D by LG Optimus3D P920 Flipkart.com: LG Optimus3D P920: Mobile

and Full HD by Flipkart.com: LG Optimus 2x P990: Mobile

Niilesh

Padawan
Hey i remember reading that cyanogen mod(or may be its modified version by XDA developers) on one mobile made it able to record HD video. So it is possible. When i first read that i was like :shock:
but i don't remember which mobile was it. This news is about 2 months old.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Ha...Ha...Ha... Even a Schoolboy will not ask such a question :) That was funny Man !!

What make it that funny for you man? Would you elaborate it and let other share the fun ? [:)]

Hey i remember reading that cyanogen mod(or may be its modified version by XDA developers) on one mobile made it able to record HD video. So it is possible. When i first read that i was like :shock:
but i don't remember which mobile was it. This news is about 2 months old.

Yes NILESH, theoretically it should work though I agree with other that 600 MHz processor of A70 won't be able to handle it. And as far I know, not in just mobile phones, in many electronics equipments the companies make alterations in firmware to separate higher and lower models. Hardware remains the same.
That's why I asked that question. After all Sansa Clip+ can even play videos :)

clmlbx

Technomancer
Hey You should look @ this interesting article for Start

A Novice’s Guide to Android Rooting, Recovery and Flashing

Sarath

iDota
Ha...Ha...Ha... Even a Schoolboy will not ask such a question :) That was funny Man !!

Lol...that was a normal query. He just wanted to know whether his 5MP cam (which I mistook for VGA -apologies-) can record HD video.

"Puchne mein kya jaata hain"- Tata Sky adv works in real life too.

Today we might find it funny but tomorrow there might be a custom mod that can OC the CPU and aid in HD recording. You never know.

In fact if someone had asked about 4 years back that if I "jailbreak" my ipod will I get bluetooth connectivity. Some people would have laughed their balls(eye) out but it turns out that it indeed has a deactivated BT chip and can be activated through the jailbreaking process.

Just be careful and watch this song meanwhile Jessie J - Who's Laughing Now - YouTube
:D

@OP: Take extreme care and proceed towards it. Unfortunately the Mircomax isn't available in many countries and hence does not have freelance developers at XDA and such bringing out custom ROMs for it. Even its rooting process ma vary from others, so try reading about anyone else's attempts at rooting it.

Also let us know of your progress.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Hey You should look @ this interesting article for Start

A Novice’s Guide to Android Rooting, Recovery and Flashing

Thank uou for this useful piece of information :)

@Sarath Thanks for support man. Yes I remember that iPod thing and how it started. Some users saw the bluetooth icon flashing on iPod screen and that raised the curiosity.

Top Bottom