Wanted:: C.h.e.a.p.e.s.t. Desktop configuration (only CPU)

Gollum

Collector
Getting a ddr3 ram with amd athlon 2 2xx is useless. Since it will only support speed up to 1066 and not 1333. So one should only get ram that will run at its full potential.

ssb1551

Technomancer
BTW, another good mobo to go with first config is Biostar 780L with ACC support ( Based on 760G chipset ) @ 2.2k only plus you will get a pen free with the box but it supports only DDr2 mem.

:rofl:..Well I got a pen free wid my Biostar MoBo(MCP6P3)!!

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ n tht too a crappy a$$ pen not even Piérié Cardin/Montblanc or even a Luxor :D..
But jokes aside no complaints abt my MoBo!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting a ddr3 ram with amd athlon 2 2xx is useless. Since it will only support speed up to 1066 and not 1333. So one should only get ram that will run at its full potential.

It's not actually useless - going for DDR3 is a little bit more future proof for upgrading but as you've said Athlon II 2xx don't support speed upto 1333MHz I've suggested in my first post about a DDr2 based rig.

But you can always OC a athlon II X2 to to retain 1333 Mhz speed :

Overclock3D :: Review :: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor Review :: Introduction

BTW, not all Athlon II X2 2xx has mem clock limitation of 1066 MHz - there are rumors that AMD Athlon II X2 255 supports speed upto 1066 MHz for DDR2 and 1333 Mhz for DDR3 and Athlon II X2 260 officially supports 1066 MHz for DDR2 and 1333 Mhz for DDR3.

Gollum

Collector
That is out of question with a tiny budget such a this. And overclocking is not a good option on a cheap motherboard.
On a side note, what advantage does ddr3 ram have over ddr2 besides speed? Like what is the difference between 1066ddr2 and 1066ddr3?

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think OP can get TopGear's config within budget as price for Athlon II processors have been reduced. I purchased Athlon II 245 @ 2.45K on 6th of November. And regarding cabinet, I don't think Zebronics Bijli is required. any cheap cabinet will do. Get a normal Zebronics/Intex cabinet @ 0.8K with 450W SMPS. It will run your PC with ease.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
And overclocking is not a good option on a cheap motherboard.

yes OC using a cheap board isn't recommended but a slight OC (if OP wants) isn't a bad thing either,

On a side note, what advantage does ddr3 ram have over ddr2 besides speed? Like what is the difference between 1066ddr2 and 1066ddr3?

faster data transfer rate @ same speed.

also DDR3 price falling & in many places its available for 1.*k whereas DDR2 cost ~2.*k.

OP
sude

sude

Tech'ing life seriously!!
That's really a tough call !

AMD Athlon II X2 2xx - get the cheapest one you can get around 2.8k
Gigabyte 740G DDR2 mobo @ 2.6k
1 GB DDR2 Ram @ 1k
Zebronics Bijli cabby @ 1.6k with PSU

> I find this ^ config pretty much ok. no issues with it. And as Cilus recommended, If i replace Zeb Bijli with a normal one i will save some extra bucks.. :)

Sempron 140/145 - 1.8K approx (single core but cheap, fast, low TDP)
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE - 2.9K approx iirc ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
(Socket AM3, HyperTransport 3.0, 760G chipset, Integrated ATI Radeon 3000 graphics, DVI port for LCD monitor, EPU for power saving, 6x SATA ports, ...)
2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM- 1.7K approx for Kingston
Zebronics cabinet with PSU - 1.6K approx
Total - 8K approx

>> well the above confi is fine too, but i would suggest apart from Sempron/Atom/Celeron.

AMD athlon ii x2 240 @ 2.8k
Gigabyte 740G @ 2.7k
1 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1.1k
Zebronics Bijli + PSU @ 1.3k
Total:7.9k

btw Pegasus the price of RAM is for Dynet/Hynix not Kingston. Kingston costs 2k. And I have to say please stop suggesting ASUS motherboards.

>> Guys, is Asus bad? my friends who are using Asus MB didnot complain anytime..

Buying a cheap config will make you regret later!

>> well ayush, i will not be using this system for more than a year. i will be selling off this upgraded system. so no worries..

^ nothing like that. Even for 8k he aint getting a bad deal. And if browsing internet and watching a few movies is what he does, then it's not bad config at all. 740/760G cipsets will be able to play old games and that's what he is interested in. Later on if he has the budget he can always get a better rig. People these days find use for a second rig (for downloading, playing music etc. or for just experimenting with networking features). So he might not regret it all.
Still I would suggest that if the op plans to upgrade in a year or so, he may save some money by buying sempron.

And ayush chand, I don't think that's a good way to advertise your blog. Put it in your signature if you want to. Don't disturb the post.

>> +1

yep, that one is based on DDr2 and the second one is based on DDr3 ram.

BTW, another good mobo to go with first config is Biostar 780L with ACC support ( Based on 760G chipset ) @ 2.2k only plus you will get a pen free with the box but it supports only DDr2 mem.

but by buying this mobo you can save 600 bucks and you will be able to get a tri core Athlon II X3 4xx cpu and you have the potential to unlock it into a quad core

>> what is the total price then.. if i consider this MB.??

Giving a pen with a motherboard. That's the height of being illogical

>> I am into Online Adoperations, and this is the most ridiculous gift i have heard with regards to any thing technical.

That is out of question with a tiny budget such a this. And overclocking is not a good option on a cheap motherboard.

I think OP can get TopGear's config within budget as price for Athlon II processors have been reduced. I purchased Athlon II 245 @ 2.45K on 6th of November. And regarding cabinet, I don't think Zebronics Bijli is required. any cheap cabinet will do. Get a normal Zebronics/Intex cabinet @ 0.8K with 450W SMPS. It will run your PC with ease.

yes OC using a cheap board isn't recommended but a slight OC (if OP wants) isn't a bad thing either...

>> True i am not gonna OC it.. :) not required.

One more thing, hows the resale value of AMD based systems?? lets say after 1 year?

Regards_SUDE

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

yes OC using a cheap board isn't recommended but a slight OC (if OP wants) isn't a bad thing either,

faster data transfer rate @ same speed.

also DDR3 price falling & in many places its available for 1.*k whereas DDR2 cost ~2.*k.

DDR2 mems are phasing out rapidly - in many shops you won't even find theses and many manufacturers have stopped producing this and DDR2 ( 800 MHz ) and DDR3 ( 1333 MHz ) price is almost same. DDR3 consumes a little less power too but I do appreciate there's not much performance gap between DDR2 1066 MHz and DDR3 ( 1333Mhz ) running at 1066 MHz but DDR2 1066 MHz module is very expensive as compared to value series 1333Mhz DDR3 modules.

Bijli has the the best ventilation available in budget cabby category - so going for bijli is recommended.
That's really some awesome pricing.

@ sude

Get AMD Athlon II X2 245 @ 2.5k
1 GB DDR3 Mem from Transcend or Kingston @ 1.1k
Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 @ 2.8k
Bijli with PSU @ 1.6k

total = 8k

if you are you want DDR2 based rig then consider this :

AMD Athlon II X2 245 @ 2.5k
1 GB DDR2 Mem @ 1.1k/1.7k ( for 2 GB DDR2 Mem )
Biostar 780L mobo @ 2.2k
Bijli with PSU @ 1.6k

total 7.4k/8k ( for 2 GB DDR2 )

Now it's your call - so make the choice.

It's very hard to predict the resell value - so can't comment on that.

acewin

Point Blanc
and any of these config would be better than Pentium D based system which were 30K when they had started. It is

always buy a good mobo because latter you will realize when you want to add new HW it is blocking.
If interested in watching movies buy good nice display panel

go for DDR3 config, because they will become cheaper. use 2GB RAM chips 1GB will come out to be very less.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, OP should get 2GB ram instead of 1GB though it will increase his budget a little bit.

Top Bottom