Vista - Will it Fly or Fall

Will Vista back up Microsoft's fortunes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Re: Vista - Chalega ki Doobega?

someone said that vista can do file search better n looks good than WinXP. If thats the reason we need a new version of Windows (which i believe is hilarious excuse to release a new OS), I'd suggest get a desktop search software n google some theme. you can customize your WinXP as cool as Vista (even mac, linux whatever you want). JUST FACE IT. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY. i completely agree with freshseasons's points.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

sivarap said:
I thought MAC is expensive...PLZ confirm.
The cheapest Mac is the Mac Mini which is priced at Rs. 33,000. When you include the display, keyboard and mouse - it will come to around Rs. 40,000-45,000. (Depends on the quality of your display.)
I do not doubt that a computer that has similar hardware specification to the Mac Mini might be a tad cheaper than it, but there are several things to consider:
1. The software. Mac OS X is the best operating system on the planet and frankly, the price of Rs. 40,000 is damn cheap if it can afford the satisfaction of running Mac OS X. Even a PC worth Rs. 2 lac cannot buy you that feeling. No viruses or malware, extremely stable, zero learning curve, elegant design, completely functional out of the box and better software than on Windows. I have a MacBook Pro that cost me Rs. 1,47,000 and it was a total pain to pay that much for it. But today, after having used it for more than half a year, I can proudly say that it was the best way to spend my money. I bought the best laptop in the market at that time and I am completely satisfied with it. Am I ever going to buy a PC in future? Not if I am paid to do so!
2. The experience. Apple's machine are not just about the hardware or just about the software. It is about the integration of the two. The software knows everything about the hardware it's running on and vice-versa. The result: rock solid stability.
3. Value of intagibles. Is there any value for a person coming to sit near you to ask you about your laptop and saying that it is incredible? Any substitute for the feeling of happiness when a computer does something that you expected to take half an hour in five minutes? There are a lot of such intangibles. I was working on my laptop one night and my brother hit me from behind and flicked the light switch off and ran away. The keyboard backlight came on and I just continued working. It was I who laughed at him. :lol: Once I was watching a DVD and he pressed the 'Eject' button on the keyboard. The movie paused and it asked me whether I was sure I wanted to eject the disk. I just pressed the 'Play' button on my Apple Remote and the movie started playing as if nothing has happened. And I don't even know what state my MBP would have been in had it not been for the magnetised power cord. There are a lot of such things that I cannot possibly mention here.
4. The support. Apple has one of the best customer support networks out there. When my MacBook Pro arrived at my house, it had a faulty latch. The lid used to pop open by itself. I phoned AppleCare and they picked it from my house and returned it within three days. And you know what, they replaced the whole display. Why? Because replacing the display is faster than opening it up and replacing the latch - and they did not want to keep me waiting. goobimama (Milind) had to send his iBook to AppleCare and they gave him a PowerBook as a replacement till his iBook was fixed. Can you put a price on convenience?
5. You can run Windows and Linux within Mac OS X, without even the need for a restart.

I could go on and on and on. People complain about how Apple's computers cannot be upgraded. To hell with it. I don't care. I have a computer and it works fine and dandy and has the potential to do so for many years to come. I think this is a great positive point that users are not allowed to mess with the hardware, ruining the stability of the system in the process. How many times do people complain on this forum itself that they installed a new graphics card and their system is constantly restarting from that point on or the display is garbled or some other problem? When you think your computer needs an overhaul, sell it on eBay. Macs have an awesome resale value when sold outside India or online.

sivarap said:
What happened to the "rumour" hat Mac is being tweaked to run on X86?
It has been running on Intel 32-bit and 64-bit processors for quite some time now. If you are talking about running it on a PC, that is possible too but you will have an unstable, buggy system and it is illegal. Plus, it is not the easiest job in the world to install it.

sivarap said:
So...MACs can be pirated ?
Yes, the operating system can be pirated and so can all the other software you use on it. However, not many people pirate the operating system because at Rs. 5,000, it is dirt cheap and Mac users generally have a strong sense of loyalty towards Apple.

My advice: DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE, INCLUDING ME. Try it yourself. Go to any Apple Authorised Reseller near you and ask them to give you a demo. They will show it to you in as much detail you prefer and you can really get a feel for the system. And then use the brain God has endowed you with to make a decision. In India, most people buy Nokia phones and use Windows 98. If you are one of those, Macs are not for you. If you are willing to think different, however, give it a shot. :)

And do read this article. It is the most accurate one I have ever seen:

*utilware.com/switching_files/shapeimage_3.png

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

^^^^ why are u hijacking the thread again, as if u got a job in apple viral marketing team.

Macs can be pirated. Just go to Google & search for OSX86 project

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Ofcourse its not. most of the offices & bussiness wait for the first batch of Fixes (Read SP1) before deploying. It's been only 2 month of its release. You cannot expect it to over come the sales of XP so easily

The thing is, everyone wants to go with Aero glass, it's a misconception that Vista requirs a graphics card to run. Well, it requirs only to run aero glass not the OS itself. You yourself know whats the condition of graphics card in the indian market out there & how much they sale. onboard still prevails....just wait for 2 months, the biggest graphics chip company Intel is relesing GMA X3000 along with AMD X1250 & nVidia Geforce 7 based onboard graphics which will lower the cost required to use Vista. The hardware is out there but not the awareness

I see lot of people coming to computer shops, asking for Vista but then falling back cos they think it needs a graphics card a must which is usually out of there budget.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Pray tell me what is the use of Vista without its biggest, most important feature?

Anyone can install Google Desktop Search and have Live Search like functionality.

sivarap

In the zone

aryayush said:
The cheapest Mac is the Mac Mini which is priced at Rs. 33,000. When you include the display, keyboard and mouse - it will come to around Rs. 40,000-45,000. (Depends on the quality of your display.)
I do not doubt that a computer that has similar hardware specification to the Mac Mini might be a tad cheaper than it, but there are several things to consider:.............
I Do accept everything you say....But telme howmuch affordable are MAC s/ws?

[Honestly...I was cut off from the tech wrld for some time...I even forgot my forum id n i've registered in as a newbie]

Are teh MAC OS s/w as abundant as for win or as cheap(read as free) as for LINUX????
----------------------------------------------
I know I am deviating frm the topic.... I looked for a "Clone thread" option...cldn't find it :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

^^^ This is already posted so many times. Aero is not the only biggest feature of Vista

1) DirectX 10

2) Windows Aero, GPU based UI

3) WPF, DWM

4) IPv6 based compleately re-writen networking stack which results in faster & safer networking then before in Windows

5) Compleately new HD Audio stack, full 32bit full duplex complience. Other OS have AC'97 still. Not even Soundblaster

6) New I\O stack (not talking about readyboos etc here)

7) TPM Support

8 ) EFI support

9) Full drive encryption in form of BitLocker

10) Windows Imaging Component

11) Windows Color System

12) Windows Mobility Center

13) Windows SideShow

14) InkCanvas

15) HD Photo & XPS

16) Internet Information Services 7

17) Windows Meeting Space

Points 1 to 6 alone make it worth upgrading from XP

Last edited:

shashank4u

Youngling

Most of the people can't upgrade to vista becoz of its heavy RAM requiremets..

even at 1 gb RAM its performance is not that cool..

so i prefer to stick and work fast in XP rather than crawling in VISTA .

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

sivarap said:
I Do accept everything you say....But telme howmuch affordable are MAC s/ws?

[Honestly...I was cut off from the tech wrld for some time...I even forgot my forum id n i've registered in as a newbie]

Are teh MAC OS s/w as abundant as for win or as cheap(read as free) as for LINUX????
No, they aren't as abundant as in Windows. But consider this - there are several chat clients in Windows that support many protocols like Miranda and Trillian and others. But there is only one I know of on the Mac, Adium. But Adium is better than any of the Windows clients and every person who uses a Mac and IM uses Adium. It is open source and free, of course. You have every sort of application on the Mac platform, but you do not have as many choices as in Windows. But the applications are generally much better than their Windows counterparts. There is an application called QuickSilver on the Mac. If you buy a Mac, that is the first software you should install. It is also free and it is the most useful software in the world. And it has no replacement on the Windows platform.

And then there is the huge advantage Mac OS X has over Windows and Linux. You can run any application in the world on a Mac, even Windows and Linux applications. I am not kidding. Look at this.

As for free applications, yes - there are a lot of free and open source applications for the Mac. And they are very good too. Plus, you have these websites that come up from time to time such as MacApper, Macheist, Macappaday, etc. which give you paid applications for free. :)

And, of course, you can also pirate any paid software you want if you so wish to. Just like Windows, there are dedicated forums that discuss warez and cracks for Mac applications. :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

aryayush said:
Yes, the operating system can be pirated and so can all the other software you use on it. However, not many people pirate the operating system because at Rs. 5,000, it is dirt cheap and Mac users generally have a strong sense of loyalty towards Apple.

Apple sells OS software with every MAC sold, no apple computer comes without a copy of OS, so piracy does not affect them that much ,and this is the reason they care less. On the other hand windows has to do all the messy wga thing because a normal PC user is not forced to buy a computer with windows installed. Thats why piracy affects them on a larger scale.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
No, they aren't as abundant as in Windows. But consider this - there are several chat clients in Windows that support many protocols like Miranda and Trillian and others. But there is only one I know of on the Mac, Adium. But Adium is better than any of the Windows clients and every person who uses a Mac and IM uses Adium. It is open source and free, of course. You have every sort of application on the Mac platform, but you do not have as many choices as in Windows. But the applications are generally much better than their Windows counterparts. There is an application called QuickSilver on the Mac. If you buy a Mac, that is the first software you should install. It is also free and it is the most useful software in the world. And it has no replacement on the Windows platform.

Here is the thing, that Adium you are talking about is based on LibGAIM, again I don't think adium is giving anything back to LibGAIM. Besides that so called cool chat client doesn't support webcam or VoIP chat.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent

aryayush said:
As for free applications, yes - there are a lot of free and open source applications for the Mac. And they are very good too. Plus, you have these websites that come up from time to time such as MacApper, Macheist, Macappaday, etc. which give you paid applications for free. :)
:shock: Paid applications for free how?

aryayush said:
And, of course, you can also pirate any paid software you want if you so wish to. Just like Windows, there are dedicated forums that discuss warez and cracks for Mac applications. :)

Looks like Mac Marketing Freak

cool chat client doesn't support webcam and VoIP then what it do?:D
LOL...

and he is saying its better than any of windows chat clients ROFL...

sorry can't stop laughing...

LOL LOL LOL...

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

tarey_g said:
Apple sells OS software with every MAC sold, no apple computer comes without a copy of OS, so piracy does not affect them that much ,and this is the reason they care less. On the other hand windows has to do all the messy wga thing because a normal PC user is not forced to buy a computer with windows installed. Thats why piracy affects them on a larger scale.
Leopard is being released soon and I will buy it, of course. Every other Mac user I know is planning to buy it too. The reason, as I have already mentioned before, is that the price is very low and existing users get it at a discount. Plus, Mac users have a sense of loyalty towards Apple because we love our Macs. The same cannot be said for PC users though.
And no matter how you try to spin it, the fact remains that Microsoft does not give a damn how the user experience for their customers. All they care for is how they can cash in more money.

piyush gupta said:
:shock: Paid applications for free how?
I don't know and don't care. All I know is that I got a lot of genuine paid software for free from these sites and that's all I care about.

piyush gupta said:
Looks like Mac Marketing Freak
:confused: What do you mean?

piyush gupta said:
cool chat client doesn't support webcam and VoIP then what it do?
LOL...

and he is saying its better than any of windows chat clients ROFL...

sorry can't stop laughing...

LOL LOL LOL...
Plug a ball of smelly cloth in your mouth. I am sure it will subside.

Yes, Adium does not feature video and audio chatting and that is a much requested feature that everyone is asking for. Hopefully they'll add it soon.

We can use iChat and Skype for audio/video chatting though and Adium for text chats.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Leopard is being released soon and I will buy it, of course. Every other Mac user I know is planning to buy it too. The reason, as I have already mentioned before, is that the price is very low and existing users get it at a discount. Plus, Mac users have a sense of loyalty towards Apple because we love our Macs. The same cannot be said for PC users though.
And no matter how you try to spin it, the fact remains that Microsoft does not give a damn how the user experience for their customers. All they care for is how they can cash in more money.

Pwned again :D, you are yourself admiting in public that you are a freeking macboy
I don't know and don't care. All I know is that I got a lot of genuine paid software for free from these sites and that's all I care about.

:D Talking about cracks & pirating apps is not allowed in the forum. Must be by posting 1000 Pro-Apple posts in various forums & doing viral marketing for apple. This thing is same with all macboys, they are the best marketing agent apple has

Plug a ball of smelly cloth in your mouth. I am sure it will subside.

Yes, Adium does not feature video and audio chatting and that is a much requested feature that everyone is asking for. Hopefully they'll add it soon.

We can use iChat and Skype for audio/video chatting though and Adium for text chats.

Pwned again, angoor khatte hain boy, grow up

You said Adium is better then the chat clients available on Windows from Yahoo\MSN\AOL etc.....for what, text chat...thats toooooo 1998 :D . Abe what good is a chat client without these features in 2007. U must be blind or something cos i really don't see how u find adium so much better then Windows based chat clients

& yeah, iChat which only works with AOL or .mac & Skype which only works with..well Skype. Did you forget to read that i mentioned Yahoo & MSN in my above post;)

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
Pwned again :D, you are yourself admiting in public that you are a freeking macboy
Actually, I am not just admitting it, I am pretty proud of the fact that I like something that is better than every other computer out there. I am happy that I know how to choose between good and great. As for my being a 'freeking macboy', whatever that means, I never said that I am.

gx_saurav said:
:D Talking about cracks & pirating apps is not allowed in the forum
A dazzling display of language skills again! These are not pirated applications. These are genuine paid software being distributed for free with valid registration numbers and the permission of the developers. I am not even shy of giving the links: *www.macheist.com/
*www.macappaday.com/

Pwned again, angoor khatte hain boy, grow up

You said Adium is better then the chat clients available on Windows from Yahoo\MSN\AOL etc.....for what, text chat...thats toooooo 1998 :D . Abe what good is a chat client without these features in 2007. U must be blind or something cos i really don't see how u find adium so much better then Windows based chat clients

& yeah, iChat which only works with AOL or .mac & Skype which only works with..well Skype. Did you forget to read that i mentioned Yahoo & MSN in my above post;)
Adium is a multi-protocol chat client. It is not equal to Yahoo! or MSN. And we have webcam support for the MSN Messenger on the Mac. So please keep that trap of yours shut when you know nothing about something, which is pretty much always.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Actually, I am not just admitting it, I am pretty proud of the fact that I like something that is better than every other computer out there. I am happy that I know how to choose between good and great. As for my being a 'freeking macboy', whatever that means, I never said that I am.

A dazzling display of language skills again! These are not pirated applications. These are genuine paid software being distributed for free with valid registration numbers and the permission of the developers. I am not even shy of giving the links: *www.macheist.com/
*www.macappaday.com/

what else can we expect from you in this thread which was about Windows Vista but now hacked by macboys :D

Adium is a multi-protocol chat client. It is not equal to Yahoo! or MSN. And we have webcam support for the MSN Messenger on the Mac. So please keep that trap of yours shut when you know nothing about something, which is pretty much always.

pwned again, you sure u r not lieing

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent

@gx

Why we r arguing with him

looks like a child who ust says one thing i like it thats why its best

I DONT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK
i know it is the best
ya we accept it is the best for u:D

But hey i feel he gives something to Apple
Guess what?

At least telling them

Please do some marketing for Mac and me otherwise i have to go to each & every person on forum and post some 1000 posts so that they understand what Mac:D:D:D

U talking about he lying i feel me is much idiot than a lier

Arya grow up baby
with having 1000 posts and more than 100 reps
u r supposed to be a mature guy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom