Vista - Will it Fly or Fall

Will Vista back up Microsoft's fortunes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Some SmartAlec @ TechCast had pointed out a definitive list of why Vista can't survive.

According to him, Apple and Linux will soon take a big dip into Microsoft's market share.
His list goes so....
1. It's expensive
2. It doesn't offer features promised that would have made it a contender, in essence, it's too little too late.
3. Many home and business computers won't be able to run it, cutting a huge slice out of their market share.
4. Its 5,000 different versions will leave users shocked and confused as to which one is right for their needs.
5. Dell, the world's biggest PC corporation is now giving users the option to not have Windows pre-installed on their computer.
6. Linux is free and is all the time getting new features and programs that make a switch beneficial to the uncertain user.
7. Apple is hip with the young crowd and the early adopters, meaning that Vista won't be as well received with them.
8. Security is an issue and probably won't be fixed for a while to come.
9. Even if your computer can run it, many features that are graphically intensive won't be runnable or will run slowly.

His list is true to an extent. As with all Windows applications.
Whatddya say... will Vista survive Macs & Linuxes or will Microsoft have a great fall?

Amazon Vista Sale

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: Vista - Chalega ki Doobega?

SmartAlec said:
4. Its 5,000 different versions will leave users shocked and confused as to which one is right for their needs.

6. Linux is free and is all the time getting new features and programs that make a switch beneficial to the uncertain user.
7. Apple is hip with the young crowd and the early adopters, meaning that Vista won't be as well received with them.

dont agree to the quoted points ....

VD17

Journeyman

it might have a tougher run than XP did when it was launched.. but dont forget.. this is Microsoft, for cryin' out loud... they have a HUGE brand image and that itself makes people blindly trust MS.. besides, with all that eye candy, ppl. will be all the more tempted. Remember, most ppl. in developed countries wont find vista that "expensive"...

subratabera

Just another linux lover.

The best thing about Micro$oft is, they are extremely good at marketing their product. So, no matter how good or BAD Vista is, they will surely able sell it to the masses...AFAIK Apple's new OS is far more superior than Vista, but very few people know about its features...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

koolbluez said:
Some SmartAlec @ TechCast had pointed out a definitive list of why Vista can't survive.

According to him, Apple and Linux will soon take a big dip into Microsoft's market share.
His list goes so....
1. It's expensive
2. It doesn't offer features promised that would have made it a contender, in essence, it's too little too late.
3. Many home and business computers won't be able to run it, cutting a huge slice out of their market share.
5. Dell, the world's biggest PC corporation is now giving users the option to not have Windows pre-installed on their computer.
9. Even if your computer can run it, many features that are graphically intensive won't be runnable or will run slowly.

His list is true to a huge extent.
Whatddya say... will Vista survive Macs & Linuxes or will Microsoft have a great fall?

Ya may be ,but something i' like to say :)

1. It's expensive
XP was too.

this one i agree

this was case with XP too

This point is stupid and idiotic. I like choices.

i hope everyone follows Dell ;)

Linux was free always.

ya apple has its followers as always , nothing new.

This case was worse with XP.

Same was with XP when it came.

Similar case that was with Xp when it released ,still people run XP on their systems , there can be many reasons for vista to fail. the points made by that guy dont convince me.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

koolbluez said:
1. It's expensive
Really speaking, which paid OS has even been considered cheap
koolbluez said:
That's the worst part about Vista but it's only known to tech entuiasts. For general users, there are no missing features cos ads never told them about it.
koolbluez said:
Many of them can still keep XP, till support lasts
koolbluez said:
This is one good thing. Choices are always better.
koolbluez said:
And few of them have some crappy FreeDOS or some stupid half-baked, stripped down, featureless linux installed. So, that's hardly appealing. They can just put in a working Linux distro and refuse support since users aren't paying for it.
koolbluez said:
Linux has been doing that all the time, just that, with a lot of cash and industry support coming in now, linux is getting advertised. So, people are coming to know linux. And that linux indeed has a GUI.
koolbluez said:
It's been so since eternity. Apple need to give an aggressive push to the markets and launch ads and campaigns by now.
koolbluez said:
Upcoming SP1?
koolbluez said:
But many people will install it to boast, and maybe even upgrade the hardware for it. But, the same people refuse to buy Mac, which has a better UI.

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人

Vovv.... guyz... Yeh main nahin keh raha... TechCast mein likha hai...

BTW... very mixed comments. But seems like Macs too stand a chance :wink:

Hey.. guyz... these r not my ideas... just wanted to bring out a poll on the same. Goin well so far...

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

i hope apple comes out wid a mac os for every pc user! that will be direct tough comptt. to vista! u simply can't resist the mac os. the rock solid bsd core and an excellant gui! apple should've been awarded the company of the century!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

infra_red_dude said:
the rock solid bsd core and an excellant gui!
and other open source software like apache, cups, etc make up a quite substantial part of the system.

B

Bassu

Yeh sure its gona work

Last edited by a moderator:

Aberforth

The Internationalist

Vista is an MS product, predicting doom for it is going too far. Windows still is the favorite of average computer users who will get scared the hell out if you show them the BIOs setup screen in their computers. Besides they aren't going to miss the features in Vista as they haven't tried the better alternatives like Linux in the first place. Moreover Linux is still a little 'geeky' as getting it to work involved a fair bit of work unlike Windows. And which MS OS wasn't expensive, Windows '95 shipped for about Rs. 15000/- when it was released, didn't spell doom for Microsoft.

Mark my words, when Vista is released and in customers' PCs they'll be rambling about how MS made amazing innovations like Aero Glass interface. :D

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer

Its very hard and useless to predict if VISTA will "chalega ya doobega".

When Xp came around most of my friends still had PCs with 64 MB RAM. But Xp survived and got successful then. Each n every hardware has a life. That life is governed by physical parameters. People will have to upgrade their existing machine with time and technology.

Gaming is a very big department and it needs high configurations. With time its obvious that technology will improve and so will the gaming department. Extreme Gaming enthusiasts upgrade their PCs like in every 6 months or less. My friend buys the latest graphic card wheneva its out. And the gaming department is ruled by Windows.

If such people can waste their money on upgrading their PCs for gaming, then installing VISTA will be nothing for them. Yes they can use XP, but then again whats the use of using an old OS on latest hardware?

VISTA prices also may fall. It has not released yet officially and we r all making guesses here. So there's no doubt that people will upgrade their PCs. They will have to upgrade their PCs either due to sluggish/failing hardware or to njoy the latest technology. Their hardware may survive longer, but not forever.

The only thing that will concern the average users who r least interested in gaming is price of VISTA. But again, prices may fall or as usual piracy will rule atleast in India.

So IMHO, one cannot clearly give his verdict clearly if Vista will "Chalega y doobega". There r too many factors that govern this.

As for Linux, yes one can give his/her verdict affirmly that it will continue to rise. Its requirements r low too. The people who have their old PCs working fine, may continue using Xp or use Linux to Njoy the thrill associated with it.

Only, Time will tell if VISTA will "chalega ya doobega"! :)

praka123

left this forum longback
It will be a Huge Success :(

Coming to reality,With people all over the world applauding for past 14+ years on every release of Windows and microsoft's gr8 ad campaign,Vista will be a huge success.
But I expect End Users soon realise that Vista be a pain in the back with its incorporated DRM(Digital Restrictions Management)
But with Vista released,Hardware vendors may be benefitting for the major upgrade of H/W for Vista.
Linux already is getting much easier for Desktop Users and the old rumour that Linux is for geeks turned to be a lie formatted by Windows fanboys.
GNU/Linux is as good as or even better than Vista in Eyecandy and *NIXens are famous for its stability,security etc.But Free Software People cant beat Microsoft's influence in detecting the future of OS business as what i think.they(MS) are the *BORG* You know what can they do.:razz:

kumarmohit

Technomancer

I agree with mediator that its still to early to predict if Vista will be a success or failure. But its eye candy itself is going to be a USP considering that most people have not either seen OSX or still think Linux is a CUI operating system.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

MacOS will never dent in Windows Vista market, as long as it runs on Apple's properity hardware

Linux has potential, but not enough compeling features, & too many different standerds. It's not there yet, if it's the future, i will grab it in the future.

Windows Vista will rule, cos it has DX10 which drives the gaming Industry. It has new features which will bring new hardware standerds (Hybrid harddisk anyone). It's like a combination, Windows moves the CPU/GPU market, & new CPU/GPU move the Windows market

shashank4u

Youngling

na chalega na dubega ..vista will swim slowly..(terega)...
it ll not be a huge success like ms xp...which is a hot favourite
for pc s with decent configuration.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com

Vista has the power to rock.......but what it demands is a good hardware configration...XP also did that....so...Vista will swim(as said by Shashank4u)

and soon take over market ...

but i am wating for XP sp3....wow...ne idea??

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mediator said:
VISTA prices also may fall. It has not released yet officially
It has been released. It was already launched when you posted. :)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

gx_saurav said:
MacOS will never dent in Windows Vista market, as long as it runs on Apple's properity hardware

Linux has potential, but not enough compeling features, & too many different standerds. It's not there yet, if it's the future, i will grab it in the future.

Windows Vista will rule, cos it has DX10 which drives the gaming Industry. It has new features which will bring new hardware standerds (Hybrid harddisk anyone). It's like a combination, Windows moves the CPU/GPU market, & new CPU/GPU move the Windows market

thee biggest Plus factor with MS is the gaming support in it's OS .

sreevirus

Certified Nutz

In my personal opinion, Vista's here to stay, whatever Linux enthusiasts and Mac maniacs might say.

You know, I've introduced some of my friends to Linux (SuSE and Ubuntu). But no one of them gave any hints of liking Linux. I still consider myself a n00b with linux (well, maybe an above-average n00b), but the number of phone calls I had to answer with respect to Linux doubts and queries were far too many when I compare it with Windows XP. People learn Windows far more easily than Linux. I would never complain about the advancements in the Linux GUI (openSuSE 10.2 is a real eye candy). But my friends were never satisfied with the Linux experience overall.
At one instance, my friend wanted to use XGL with compiz in SuSE on his PC. He's been really frustrated with it, and he still hasnt succeeded in configuring it. The result: he has given up. Also, since he's an avid gamer, he has shown the finger to Linux (believe me). If open-source freaks on this forum have grudges against my comments, read a little bit more.
When non-geek people generally think of an OS, they want things to be smooth (its a fact, many people will vouch for this). Please, look at what's easier: playing a DVD on windows, or downloading stuff and spending a large amount of time configuring stuff in the wild hope that you might be able to play it on linux. I've seen more people learning to configure things on windows without any help from the internet or a geek, than people trying out stuff by searching on google for help with Linux (I'm just one of them). C'mon man, why is open-source still closed when it comes to adding a little bit of proprietary stuff, that might endear it to more people on the lookout for a good software experience?? No mp3. No videos. This is not what normal people want. And the distros that do have these features out-of-the-box are indeed costly. (I rest my case here).
My friend was just one complainer. Another guy got scared of the GPL, referring to 'Use at your own risk' (yeah, he read the license).
And yes, no one was very happy or keen to use the command line for every damn mundane jobs.
Linux still has a loooong way to go, and I'll be waiting for a 'real' user-friendly Linux OS like I've been doing for 2 years.

Mac might be able to give Vista a run for its money, but I really don't see it gaining a foothold in India very soon (thanks to closed hardware and of course, the astronomical cost)
{Since we're on the topic, one of my friend's cousins couldn't access Sify internet through her macbook pro, and sify guys had no idea what the hell was going on; she had to use bootcamp to install XP...Anyone who might be able to help please PM me}.

So back to the topic...Vista will BE the preference for many now, in my own opinion...but then again, I could be wrong. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom