Vista - Will it Fly or Fall

Will Vista back up Microsoft's fortunes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Re: Vista - Chalega ki Doobega?

Chalega ya Dobega? Chalega bilkul

People are lazy in general, and do not wish to learn something new when they can use a pirated product so easily. Viruses? So what, back up data regularly, format and reinstall, the panacea for all windows ills.

Linux on the other hand requires a person to use his/her brain a lot more initially because of a little different way things are done. I myself took a year before I could bid goodbye to windows, errr.... almost, my Nokia PC Suite for my 7610 requires windows, whereas in Linux I only have bluetooth push services. So I use my Rs. 3500 OS only for my cellphone!

I heard that its not so easy to get certified in Linux as it is to pass windows certification exams. I am not surprised :)

mediator

Technomancer

NucleusKore said:
People are lazy in general, and do not wish to learn something new when they can use a pirated product so easily.
NucleusKore said:
Linux on the other hand requires a person to use his/her brain a lot more initially because of a little different way things are done.
Ahem! On one hand u want people to learn something new and then on other u want something that requires less brains. What actually do u want? Learning requires brains. Don't u agree?

If u want people to learn something, then IMHO there doesn't exist a better option than Linux/Unix.

And if people can scan for viruses, undo the damages done to windows, then ofcors reading the step by step tutorials ,from which even a child can learn today,shudn't even bother them. When I think of the pain that Xp cozed me, then undoubtedly I find today's linuxes much more easy and simple. I don't wanna divert the topic so please read the windows Vs linux debate.

nucleusKore said:
Viruses? So what, back up data regularly, format and reinstall, the panacea for all windows ills.
Looks like u have got a lotta time for that nuisance! BTW, I did reformat and reinstall Xp 3 times in the past 6 months now and all the back up was done to same old Linux drive! :D

praka123

left this forum longback

AFAIK Microsoft this time is aggressively marketing its windows oses,they are raiding even small firms selling PCs with pirated windows.they started putting hoardings all over the city about the need for buying windows/office licenses and benefits of updates through subscription system.
these are what i observed lately in a city which can be called pirates:D heaven(No Offense!)
Coimbatore-TamilNadu.
MS will be planning such measures for other such cities/towns.
BTW i read MS is backed by NASSCOM in their raids for pirates.what is NASSCOM:rolleyes:

mediator

Technomancer

praka123 said:
AFAIK Microsoft this time is aggressively marketing its windows oses,they are raiding even small firms selling PCs with pirated windows.they started putting hoardings all over the city about the need for buying windows/office licenses and benefits of updates through subscription system.
these are what i observed lately in a city which can be called pirates:D heaven(No Offense!)
Coimbatore-TamilNadu.
MS will be planning such measures for other such cities/towns.
BTW i read MS is backed by NASSCOM in their raids for pirates.what is NASSCOM:rolleyes:
Heh, looks like a nice time for linux vendors and open source community to spread its wings. They shud follow the same and raid even small firms with pirated stuff and tell em about open source and linux. :D

NucleusKore

TheSaint

mediator said:
Ahem! On one hand u want people to learn something new and then on other u want something that requires less brains. What actually do u want? Learning requires brains. Don't u agree? ........

Nice reply, my post was intended tongue in cheek. Like I said, although I am a GENUINE Microsoft Windows user, at the end of a year of using Open SuSE I am left with only one use for windows, that is working with my Nokia 7610.

Aberforth

The Internationalist

aryayush said:
Yeah, that is what I meant. I was saying that if installing programs in Windows is a snap, then it is heaven in OS X.
In this aspect, it definitely goes in this order: Mac OS X >> Windows >> Linux.

Well I still can't come to terms with drag and drop installation of Macs (much like vBulletin plugins). I like a software to be a part of a system like integrated to it, not a plugin which is what Mac does - Windows and Linux don't...:p

NucleusKore said:
Chalega ya Dobega? Chalega bilkul

People are lazy in general, and do not wish to learn something new when they can use a pirated product so easily. Viruses? So what, back up data regularly, format and reinstall, the panacea for all windows ills.

I heard that its not so easy to get certified in Linux as it is to pass windows certification exams. I am not surprised :)

Exactly. People are lazy and resistant to change. Anyway backing up isn't essential if you have a dedicated Windows partition, al you do is reformat and install. And not all people use pirated products, a lot of OEM PCs come with Windows preinstalled and they are optimized for Windows XP and you'd be hard pressed to find high end OEM Linux systems.

I find Microsoft Certification doubtful, like PMT exams, objective type exams have an element of luck and lottery in addition to hard work.

By the way Microsoft marketing strategies are good, they create an illusion among not-to-tech-savvy entrepreneurs that Windows is better supported than Linux. I like to point out you can pay and get support for Linux and the overhead costs are still cheaper...in Windows its not just the OS but anti virus, antispyware (using precious resources) which have to be accounted for. And Microsoft gives 'third party findings' of corporations where Windows has an edge instead of the large numbers like NASA, FBI, Google, Yahoo who live off Linux. Marketing is the art of fooling, and if people can be fooled by a multi million dollar giant, its naive to think Vista will sink.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

the thing is, people only think of linux as Free OS with lots of configuration required to work on it. Why don't digit or other magzines provide info about paid linux distro, like Suse or Mandriva, they are dirt cheap compared to Windows & take away half the work required. They come with codecs, some firewall....mostly near-pro apps

Not everyone needs windows for gods sake, offices, cyber cafes will do fine with Linux & WINE

However in the end we find that Windows is the most idiot proof OS out there. Talk about OS to a noob & the first word which comes out is "Windows". It's the general OS, mostly auto configures, not like linux. Let users use what they want, & if they like Linux they can switch to it, it's their choice

gadha

Right off the assembly line

doobega. no doubt about that. even though it may rake up some fortunes for microsoft but i believe that its cost will pull it down, at least in india. there is not much new in vista as compared to other windows versions..

rajasekharan

Youngling

Please microsoft , take such measure that no copy of illegal windows can be installed what so ever or something like that . . . Means more Linux popularity ,all games and softwares to Linux and death of microsoft . . Please please kill piracy to doom yourself and free others :p . . This is the only time i am with "antipiracy " thing :lol:

NucleusKore

TheSaint

I too am against piracy, hope they crack down real hard. It will be good for Linux. Otherwise they will be forced to cut their exorbitant prices.
Where else can you find, the vendor of an OS selling their own antivirus ! To safeguard against the bugs in their OS! Its a laugh, someone should take them to court.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.

NucleusKore said:
Where else can you find, the vendor of an OS selling their own antivirus ! To safeguard against the bugs in their OS! Its a laugh, someone should take them to court.
Very funny...LOL:D

pauljose

Broken In

will run. wen MS launches a product the world always puts it down. but eventually 89% of the world still runs MS. so after the launch many bugs will be found. i was told that around 3800 bugs have already been reported and MS will fix the bugs. so software is free of bugs. so in my opinion in the long run Vista will run. and don't expect any new OS from MS soon.---- Chalega.

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail

I also second that opinion that windows vista especially because of the fact that windows vista is slower than xp on an indentical spec pc.one of the main reasons I upgraded to xp was beacuse of it being faster than 98 by quite an amount however vista is banking purely on its aero interface and has only a few perfomance boosters like superfetch and readyboost.One ofthe other annoying things is that there is no introduction of anew file system;i.e;winfs with it.And the cost rs 18000 for the ultimate one.Atleast till the prices of components like ram and gpu's drop vista doobega.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aneesh kalra said:
I also second that opinion that windows vista especially because of the fact that windows vista is slower than xp on an indentical spec pc.one of the main reasons I upgraded to xp was beacuse of it being faster than 98 by quite an amount however vista is banking purely on its aero interface and has only a few perfomance boosters like superfetch and readyboost.One ofthe other annoying things is that there is no introduction of anew file system;i.e;winfs with it.And the cost rs 18000 for the ultimate one.Atleast till the prices of components like ram and gpu's drop vista doobega.

Actully, if u read the comparision of Vista editions before buying...you will find that u do not require anything other then Vista Home premium at max worth Rs 11k.

The reason Vista is slower then XP on old computers is the lack of drivers. If you have a computer with proper vista compatible Chipset, I/O, sound card, nework & graphics card driver, then Vista is faster then XP, cos the UI is drwan using graphics card which gives the CPU about 10% more working power which is used in the UI drawing in case of Windows XP, & the hardware knows how to work with Vista

Anything over 2 GHz, with 512 MB RAM & Intel 845G can run vista, without aero though.

Anything over 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM & 128 MB FX 5700 or Radeon 9600 or Geforce 6150/Radeon X200 onboard can run vista aero fine

ECE0105

In the zone

For people who say that Mac has great Security :

*news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6046197.html

Linux has no issues with Virus ???? 2 mins on Google got me two links here... I guess people can find many more...

*www.kaspersky.com/linux
*free.grisoft.com/doc/4040/lng/us/tpl/v5

No, I am not Supporting Windows.... Have tried using Vista and it is working fine for me.. No AV or Firewall installed yet... The only problem is that it keeps prompting me a 100 times whenever I wanna do anything...

Inspite of all the shortcomings... I guess Vista is gonna be the OS of most Desktops in the Near future...

P.S. I found a news article that has some interesting info...

*www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/early_vista_sales_dont_tell_the_whole_story.html

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

ECE0105 said:
Linux has no issues with Virus ???? 2 mins on Google got me two links here... I guess people can find many more...

*www.kaspersky.com/linux
*free.grisoft.com/doc/4040/lng/us/tpl/v5
Have you tried to look beyond the top of it? The anti-viruses exist to protect client which make the use of linux as the server. Or if you are stupid/daring enough to want to run windows viruses under wine. Show me any linux based viruses in the wild. Yeah proof of concept viruses do exist but they don't do anything per se. It maybe possible for linux to have viruses in the future, but it won't be as much as what we see on windows. As it is, for now, we don't need to worry about viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom