Unable to move files from Ex. HDD...

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
I have a portable Seagate 320GB HDD from which i am unable to move some files. I want to move its files into my computer and empty the hdd. But some files get stucked at the same point while moving them. I am using teracopy to move the files.

Pls help...
Thanx in advance

Sujeet

Undead!!!
First Scan Your HDD for Virus using Antivirus.
Maybe some of the file on your ext HDD are infected so AV might be blocking them during copy operation.(Ofcourse only in case you have an AV installed already)

Check For HDD errors using this:Download HDD Scan 3.3 Free - A useful tool for testing your hard drive - Softpedia

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
^^I hav bitdefender 2012 and i have scanned the hdd for any viruses but non where found. Do you think using teracopy can cause this problem?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Yup.
Whenever i try copying teracopy for file transfer my Avast Internet Security 2012 Gives Me Warning that teracopy.exe is potential threat.I dunno why.
But i simply allow it through settings of Avast after which teracopy works perfectly fine.
Try copying with Bitdefender turned off.
90% PROBABILITY that it will to do the trick.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yup.
Whenever i try copying teracopy for file transfer my Avast Internet Security 2012 Gives Me Warning that teracopy.exe is potential threat.I dunno why.
But i simply allow it through settings of Avast after which teracopy works perfectly fine.
Try copying with Bitdefender turned off.
90% PROBABILITY that it will to do the trick.

teracopy sandboxed? happens with me. later disabled autosandbox & sent teracopy the way of dinosaurs. problem solved :mrgreen:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
teracopy sandboxed? happens with me. later disabled autosandbox & sent teracopy the way of dinosaurs. problem solved :mrgreen:
Yup.
Not only Teracopy ,my previous two copier programs had similar issues.

Suspecting on teracopy is too much. AVs need to increase their AI. I can't imagine to live without teracopy.

Windows 8 explorers's file transfer has similar features though nowhere close to teracopy.
You must have used it i guess.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
OP's problem is most probably due the very same reason.
His teracopy is getting blocked by Bitdefender.
@OP Unistall Teracopy and retry(Uninstalling Bitdefender wont be a good idea at all)

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Ok guys i have tried everything(file copiers, windows explorer copier, scanning the HDD with bitdefender, shifting usb port from front to the main back ones, using another wire) but some cyclic redundency error occurs. Even tried using cmd but it said:
Data check (cyclic redundancy check).
0 fille(s) copied.

Do you think i must try in some other computer?

Later Editted-
I just remembered that i recently gave my hdd to a friend who had given something to me and copied something else from my hdd. He had copied the contents the wanted easily. So i can conclude that the hdd i not running properly with my pc. I am also having issues with my Win7 OS. Also, before that i had upgraded to Win8 DP and then restored win7 from windows.old folder using cmd. Can that cause such errors?

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Cyclic redundancy errors are mainly caused due to hardware failure of storage devices.Maybe HDD needs servicing.!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use Recuva, do a deep scan and try to recover only the files currently in the HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - scan your HDD for bad sectors - use seagate seatools for windows for that.

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
I downloaded SeaTools and did a long generic scan. It failed which depicts that my HDD has bad sectors. I wanted to backup what all i can but now i am facing another problem that some files are copying with variable speeds(b/w 0.5mb/s to above 30mb/s) which i very time consuming. Also the files with variable copying speeds are mostly some of the recent files.

Please help, i dont want to loose my data.

Top Bottom