Unable to erase DVD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

curioustechy

Journeyman
I've been using a Sony DVD-RW for quite some time without any problem. I've erased & wrote more than 10 times.
But last day i could not erase the disc. I use power iso. But i tried with nero too. Even the context menu 'erase disc' is missing. Nero says the disc is not rewritable.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Even RW discs have it's lifetime. Try the same on some other PC too. If the case is same, it's time to throw away the disc.

BTW why buy CD/DVD-RW? Instead get Pendrive. 32GB became so cheap nowadays.

gameranand

Living to Play
1. Try it on some other PC. If successful then it means your drive is faulty.
2. If not erasable on other PC also then it means CD/DVD is faulty. :)

saswat23

Human Spambot
Even my Moserbaer CD-RW was showing such problem, I just couldnt erase anything.
So, I kept it. And when I used it after ~6months I was surprised to see it working. I could even erase all data and write easily. :razz:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
CD/DVD-RW can be erased and re-written only for a limited number of times. After that it will work only as CD/DVD-R. The count naturally goes from 50-200, depending on the price & maker of the disc.

quicky008

Technomancer
have u tried using InCD?It is usually included in most Nero Installation discs and if you have one,you can install it and give it a try-I've successfully formatted many of my older DVD-RW discs in the past using this tool and so its quite possible that it may work in your case too.

Whats the make and model of your DVD-RW drive?Certain Dvd burners are not good at handling rewritable discs and so you should test it on another drive before discarding it-sony DVD-RW discs don't wear out so fast-I had one that lasted almost 4 years and was written and rewritten several times during that period.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
try with imgburn and full erase option and of-course with a different DVD RW drive.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
about time you tested ;-) .. anyway, nice to know that it worked ( with same DVD drive, right ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom