Trai recommendation on minimum broadband speed expected soon

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
I don't know what are parameters they considered or which plans effected but my friend has 1500/- plan for 4 mbps till 40 GB and he has got a bump from 512 kbps to 2 mbps.

Just sharing an experience.

Last edited:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I don't know what are parameters they considered or which plans effected but my friend has 1550/- plan for 5 mbps till 40 GB and he has got a bump from 512 kbps to 2 mbps.

Just sharing an experience.

And where is 1550 plan in BSNL ?

- - - Updated - - -

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) is expected to shortly come out with its recommendations on redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2 mbps from the current level of 512 kbps.

The department of telecommunications (DoT) had in July 2014 notified the minimum broadband speed by changing the new definition of broadband, by raising the broadband speed to 512 kbps from the earlier 256 kbps. Initially in July 2009, Trai had recommended that DoT should make it mandatory for broadband speed to be 2 mbps.

Sources saidTrai is also giving final touches to its recommendations on right of way (RoW) for telecom service providers which will help in laying the optic fibre for wireline services like broadband and FTTH services connecting every home with the optic fibre network, which would eventually minimise reliance on deficient spectrum, largely used for mobile services.

Source: Trai recommendation on minimum broadband speed expected soon | The Financial Express

Let's hope. :pray:

BSNL already geared for this and made joke out of it by making all plans 2mbps till 1 GB FUP.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ ISP of your friend ?

BTW, It's only a recommendation by TRAI so an ISP can accept or deny it as per their choice ;)

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
^^ ISP of your friend ?

BTW, It's only a recommendation by TRAI so an ISP can accept or deny it as per their choice ;)

BSNL

BSNL 1500 Plan -4 mbps till 40 GB 512 kbps thereafter -> revised to 4 mbps till 40 GB 2 mbps post fup

Don't know whether it's combo or what.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see any plans with 40GB FUP @ 4MBps speed on BSNL's website so I'm assuming it's some special plan for some particular region. Can you tell your friend is from which state and city. If he can mention / share the plan web link that would be great.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
I can't see any plans with 40GB FUP @ 4MBps speed on BSNL's website so I'm assuming it's some special plan for some particular region. Can you tell your friend is from which state and city. If he can mention / share the plan web link that would be great.

I guess it might be old plan then.
He's from Pune.
Lives in Sindh Society.
For connectivity they have an BSNL exchange in the society itself.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
The problem with Indians is that they are satisfied. There can only be progress if we are unsatisfied with what we have. Very few of us are unsatisfied which is like 0% of the Indian population if rounded off. If at-least 50% of the population is unsatisfied then there will definitely be progress. Then again Ignorance is bliss for most Indians.

even if you are unsatisfied , you can't do much in this country ...

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Already MTNL has done this from 1 October 2015.
As announced earlier

Others have to follow.
Or next big thing can't be done !

*www.digit.in/forum/technology-news/194785-bsnl-broadband-offer-minimum-internet-speed-2mbps.html

2Mbps MTNL no FUP

I only understood this FUP problem when I was in Bangalore
filed a grievance to BSNL in Bangalore about how students just cannot work with these speeds

I see many times that MTNL has increased the post FUP speed to 2 Mbps minimum. However, I am still on 1 Mbps and pay 750 bucks a month.

Am I missing something here? When was this announcement made? When will it be implemented? Any credible source?

Edit: Generally MTNL, considering its the poorer cousin of BSNL generally upgrades its speed a little while after BSNL does. So the fact that MTNL has minimum 2Mbps while BSNL is still at 512Kbps minimum is a little hard to digest.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
MTNL office close to me is very helpful, and yeah we got a 2 MBPS no FUP upgrade, but that was only because the guy at the office insisted that we use that plan only and never upgrade
I cannot find the relevant line on the site that says that existing customers can continue using their plans at the rates, but this is the provision I guess, under which people currently have very good MTNL plans
so had 1 mbps at Rs 999 or so, this got upgraded to 2 without FUP. The closest thing I can find is this :
For truly Unlimited plans there is no fair usage policy, however MTNL reserve the rights to discontinue the benifits if the plan is used beyond the prescribed TRAI Guidelines for any commercial / telemarketing activities. This will be also applicable to customers of fair usage unlimited plans.
*mtnlmumbai.in/index.php/broadband-services/triband/unlimited-plans

that is the "loophole" for those with good MTNL plans. Was called triband when it was released. MTNL is the more streamlined valonqar for BSNL.

also, really respect BSNL for the connectivity they offer in the Himalayas.

kartikoli

Busy!!
Actually I am satisfied with my BSNL EVDO where I get 1~2 mbps speed for 750rs per month with NO FUP. Thankfully I live near telephone exchange so its good but that cant be said for everyone.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
MTNL office close to me is very helpful, and yeah we got a 2 MBPS no FUP upgrade, but that was only because the guy at the office insisted that we use that plan only and never upgrade
I cannot find the relevant line on the site that says that existing customers can continue using their plans at the rates, but this is the provision I guess, under which people currently have very good MTNL plans
so had 1 mbps at Rs 999 or so, this got upgraded to 2 without FUP. The closest thing I can find is this :

Unlimited Plans - MTNL Mumbai

that is the "loophole" for those with good MTNL plans. Was called triband when it was released. MTNL is the more streamlined valonqar for BSNL.

also, really respect BSNL for the connectivity they offer in the Himalayas.

I live close to an MTNL exchange too. The guy at the exchange told the same thing about not to change the plan since I will be benefited from an upgrade. I had started this plan when it was 256 Kbps. Then upgraded to 512 then 1 Mbps, no FUP ever. I guess I should give them a call again :p

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
TRAI said:
National Telecom Policy (NTP) - 2012 has a goal of Broadband onDemand and envisages leveraging telecom infrastructure to enable allcitizens and businesses, both in rural and urban areas, to participate inthe Internet and web economy thereby ensuring equitable and inclusivedevelopment. It provides the enabling framework for enhancing India’scompetitiveness in all spheres of the economy.

The targets andstrategies as envisaged in NTP-2012 are:

Target:

3. Provide affordable and reliable broadband-on-demand by the year2015 and to achieve 175 million broadband connections by theyear 2017 and 600 million by the year 2020 at minimum 2 Mbpsdownload speed and making available higher speeds of at least100 Mbps on demand.

5. Provide high speed and high quality broadband access to all villagepanchayats through a combination of technologies by the year2014 and progressively to all villages and habitations by 2020.”

Further, Point 1.5 of part IV strategies contained in the NTP-2012 statesthat:
“To revise the existing broadband download speed of 256 Kbps to 512Kbps and subsequently to 2 Mbps by 2015 and higher speeds of at least100 Mbps thereafter.”

*www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/Recommendation/Documents/Broadband=17.04.2015.pdf

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
2mbps is very good, don't know why people are complaining. Agreed, upgrade speed is slow when compared to others, but any "development" should be criticized constructively.

- - - Updated - - -

TRAI's recommendation is for DoT, not for ISPs. After that, DoT "usually" implements it, then no body can deny it.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
2mbps is very good, don't know why people are complaining. Agreed, upgrade speed is slow when compared to others, but any "development" should be criticized constructively.

- - - Updated - - -

TRAI's recommendation is for DoT, not for ISPs. After that, DoT "usually" implements it, then no body can deny it.
Maybe because of the ridiculous 1 Gb FUP limit...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, did not know the chain of command :D but they will sure implement some highly pathetic FUP or they just already did with BSNL 2mbps speed upgrade. Now ISPs can say they are going by DOT's guideline but the users have exceeded their allotted high speed bandwidth so to keep the broadband smooth for all they can't give same speed toa ll as it will hog their system and many users won't get good browsing experience so they can revert back the speed.

Telling this coz with some mobile operators unlimited so called 3G plans once you cross the high speed data limit you are back on either 64kb or 128kb .. so wired BB players are no different. And no the FUP is not going to change anytime soon.

funskar

Padawan
Actually I am satisfied with my BSNL EVDO where I get 1~2 mbps speed for 750rs per month with NO FUP. Thankfully I live near telephone exchange so its good but that cant be said for everyone.

Bsnl is going to shutdown evdo & wimax all over india soon..
Enjoy it till jan

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Maybe because of the ridiculous 1 Gb FUP limit...

Okay, did not know the chain of command :D but they will sure implement some highly pathetic FUP or they just already did with BSNL 2mbps speed upgrade. Now ISPs can say they are going by DOT's guideline but the users have exceeded their allotted high speed bandwidth so to keep the broadband smooth for all they can't give same speed toa ll as it will hog their system and many users won't get good browsing experience so they can revert back the speed.

Telling this coz with some mobile operators unlimited so called 3G plans once you cross the high speed data limit you are back on either 64kb or 128kb .. so wired BB players are no different. And no the FUP is not going to change anytime soon.

If I'm not wrong, "minimum speed" means that the speed should be no way less that the defined speed, doesn't matter FUP is there or not.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
If I'm not wrong, "minimum speed" means that the speed should be no way less that the defined speed, doesn't matter FUP is there or not.
Yes. You are right.

This is what TRAI defined

TRAI said:
It is universally recognised thatthe minimum speed as perdefinition of broadband in Indiais very low i.e. 256 kb persecond. What has been proposed by the Authority aspart of the National Broadband Plan is a minimum downloadspeed of 512 Kbps immediately and 2 Mbps by 1st January2015. It is absolutely essentialthat this definition is adopted;failing which, there will beserious quality of serviceissues.

Though, "2 Mbps by 1st January 2015" is still a dream. :-?

Top Bottom