Top CD Burning problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvin

Broken In
i happened to stumble upon this valuable info.
thought it might be of use to many.

Top CD Burning problems

This is a list of the most common reasons for burn failures. If you are having successful burns, these steps are not needed.

1.)Make sure you treat your blank CD-R's with respect. Scratches or dust may cause write errors! Handle the disc carefully when transferring it to the CD drive!

2.)DMA & Auto Insert Notification (AIN)
DMA does not allow the CPU to have full control of the Writer, thus causing Lock-ups and Buffer Under Run Errors. Auto Insert Notification causes a CD Disc to autorun. This causes problems when you use the Writer as the Reader & as the Writer. Rule of Thumb, always uncheck Auto Insert Notification and DMA

To disable AIN with MP3 CD Burner, simply go into the Preferences and uncheck "Auto Insert Notification". You will have to reboot.

3.)Media
Non-Branded media/No Name media is generally lower quality and are commonly referred to as Seconds or "B" grade. This type of media will cause errors when writing, especially on the outer part of the disc (500 MB or better) where the dye becomes thinner. This can also cause playback problems.

4.)Close all Programs prior to Writing
Using CTRL+ALT+DEL will allow you to access the Close Program window. The only programs that should be running while Writing are EXPLORER, NTI Software & SYSTRAY if you must. TSRs will steal CPU time away from the Writer, which may cause Lock-ups and Buffer Under Run errors.

5.)Screen Savers & Virus Checkers
These programs should have been closed in step #3. Screen Savers, Virus Checkers, Crash Guards and Uninstallers will intercept commands and steal CPU time away from the Writer, which may cause Lock-ups and Buffer Under Run errors. (Screen savers are automatically disabled during a burn with CD Burner.)

6.)Power Management
Power management is a program that shuts down the Hard Drive and turns off the computer's monitor to save energy. These actions may cause Lock-ups and Buffer Under Run errors if they happen during the writing process. It is highly recommended to turn off Power Management in both the Control panel and in the computer's BIOS. (Power management is automatically disabled during a burn with CD Burner.)

7.)Defragging the Hard Drive
It is recommended to Defrag the Hard Drive prior to writing a CD. If the Hard Drive is fragmented, it will cause the Hard Drive's access time to diminish. A slower access time may cause Buffer Under Run errors due to the extra time it takes the Hard Drive to send the data to the Writer.
8.)Disc Compression
Compressed Hard Drives (Double Spaced) will cause the access time to diminish. A slower access time may cause Buffer Under Run errors due to the extra time it takes to uncompress the data and send it to the Writer.
9.)Newest Writing software
A lot of little problems are solved by upgrading to the latest Writing software. Updates have patches to fix bugs and known writing problems. It is highly recommended to always use the latest software available. Check the latest version at *www.cdburner.com/download.htm
10.)Viruses
There is always a possibility of a Virus being on your system causing weird problems. Running a Virus scan on the computer will verify a clean system. Make sure you have the most current virus definitions installed in your Virus program. In addition, don't forget to turn off the Virus program prior to writing.

11.)Reboot/Restart
If the computer has been on for a while, reboot (restart) the computer prior to writing.

12.)Multiple Writing Software Programs
Having multiple writing software on your systems (Adaptec, Nero, Prassi, Veritas, etc.) are known to cause system lock-ups. This is due to each writing software modifying the same files "winaspi.dll, wnaspi32.dll, and apix.vxd" and then not being compatible with each other. This normally is the case on older operating systems (Windows 95/98/NT). In newer operating systems, writing software's have their own ASPI layer, however more than two writing software are also know to cause lock-ups.

13.)Log file says "*** Found DLL's for WinOnCD!!!".
There are known conflicts between WinOnCD and our MP3 CD Burner software on some Windows installations. If you are having burning problems, and your log file says "*** Found DLL's for WinOnCD!!!" you may choose to uninstall WinOnCD via the Add/Remove Control panel. Alternatively, you can go into your "WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS" directory and rename the following files:

from C2APIX.VXD -> to C2APIX.BAK
from C2REC.VXD -> to C2REC.BAK

Restart Windows and try the software again. If it doesn't make a difference and you want to continue using WinOnCD, you should restore the 2 files to their original names.

14.)Bus Mastering Driver Conflicts
They cause intermittent lock-ups and static on audio files. Most Bus Mastering drivers are not compliant with any Writer, Tape Back-up, etc. Uninstalling the Bus Mastering drivers will fix a lot of writing problems. (Manufactures: ALI, VIA, SYS, Intel, CMD, OPTI, TYAN, AMD) This is only for the technically experienced. Most people reading this should have an experienced Windows technician check this out. More on this in the McFadden FAQ. Here's how one person went about fixing it

15.)Newest Firmware
A lot of little problems are solved by Flashing the Writer to the latest firmware available. Updated Firmware has patches to fix bugs and known writing problems. It is highly recommended to always use the latest Firmware available.

16.)Dual Boot Systems
Multiple Operating Systems are known problems with Writers. Trying the Writer on a Single Operating System is an easy way to confirm this problem. We do not recommend or support Dual Boot/Multiple Operating Systems due to known problems.

17.)CD-ROM Dos Drivers
Computers that load the CD-ROM DOS driver (16 bit) in the Config.sys file and the Microsoft extensions (MSCDEX.EXE) in the Autoexec.bat file, may/will cause conflicts with the Windows drivers. It is highly recommended to remove these lines from the above-mentioned files. Symptoms would include Lock-ups, Buffer Underruns, Intermittent errors, and Yellow Exclamation points on the Primary or Secondary IDE ports.

18.)Startup programs are slowing down computer.
The solution is to disable startup programs. Warning! If you aren't sure what you are doing, proceed with caution! Click Window's Start button, followed by clicking "Run". Type "msconfig" without the quotes followed by clicking "OK". Click on the "General" tab, followed by un-checking "Load Startup Group Items". Click "Apply" and then "OK". You will need to restart. (Note that some startup items might be necessary to run your computer peripherals. This is a good test to see if a start up program is slowing your computer down, though.)

If you need to re-enable Startup programs, repeat the instruction above, except make sure to check the "Load Startup Group Items"

source :*www.acoustica.com/mp3-cd-burner/support/burning-problems.htm[/u]

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Tried all measures mentioned, even used a cleaner, yet burning a 52x cd for 2 mb atleast takes 20 mins on my Sammy drive :( I have 512 MB RAM to top it all up :roll: :( :(

OP
C

calvin

Broken In
QM i think i've given most of the measures that we users can take to solve writer problems ourself.
if it doesn't help i guess u'll hav to contact ur manufacturer.
sorry man.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
disabling DMA slows the drive a lot . may be i'm wrong , but thats what i observed on my CD rom drive . dint disable it on riter .

I think leaving DMA selected is much better.
Also , thanx for lot of these infos , in fact i wasnt doing any of them . usually i play games , of rip vedio files while CD - writing , Now i'll avoid them , though they dont cause problems to me .

Does buffer underrun protection help in any way.
I have HL DT ST GSA 4163B . As u recommended i flashed the firmware from A102 to A105 . I dont see any changes. Can u point out the advantages.

gauravsuneja

macaddict
my cd-writer is giving a lt of noise and is seems
like cd writable is moving at a fast speed so that it may break any time teh noise is so much and the burn process is not able to compleet after 5% .what to do .is there any specific place in delhi if it wants repair or i have to completetly buy a new cd writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom