The Windows Mobile Thread

noob

Cyborg Agent
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I'm telling my friend to get a Lumia 800. Hope there will be no problems with the device. :)

He wanted a BlackBerry. :lol:

NO..get an Asha phone but not Lumia 800. BIG NO...at-least get a WP8 device,

I'm telling my friend to get a Lumia 800. Hope there will be no problems with the device. :)

He wanted a BlackBerry. :lol:

For me its not even 2 months when I purchased Lumia 900 and I've started realizing the dead platform and can't wait for Lumia 920. There are so many new apps that are coming for WP8 but when you realize that your current OS doesn't support it hurts. Time since WP8 was launched I've seen more than 1000s of new applications and upgrades launched by Nokia but only for WP8.

Although Nokia will continue providing support for its existing Lumia devices, a fact that I like the most about Nokia. But WP 7.X is a dead platform it will be better if you can wait for lumia 820 instead.

thats exactly the reason of so many people are having bad experience with android. An average consumer cannot differentiate between stock and skinned android. So techies comparing stock android to WP is pointless because 99% use skinned android and receive no updates. on 2nd thoughts most of them dont worry about updates. Anyway both OS have their own philosophy and own advantages. Is it really necessary to fight out and prove which is better?

Expressing your openion is not an argument!!! I've read numerous articles and with my personal experience I've concluded that there are some core features that make WP a much optimized OS (Specially WP8). Yes there is lack of App Support but within less than an year we will see Market place filled with half a million applications.

On android side, yes there are some things that I prefer over WP, since WP is still maturing. I find GS2 keyboard much better compared to my Lumia 900, then I consider WP more of a closed OS compared to WP. Then there are more apps but most of them are repeated Apps.

But I have 2 Galaxy S2s in my family and I've found Android more buggy compared to WP. Find its memory utilization bit sluggish. Take an example

1) My mom owns GS2 with ICS (purchased from UK) and my Wife owns an indian GS2 having GB. In both the devices I have to go to task manager and clear the memory otherwise the battery drains fast and it freezes. Despite the fact that GS2 has dual core and contains double the RAM compared to my Lumia 900 which still have WP 7.5. But I never faced any memory or battery issue till now and still runs smooth.

Yesterday I went to a Nokia store and asked about the availability of LUmia 920. He said that it will come by the end of Nov or first week of Dec with no information on pricing. I was SHOCKED!!!! with the pricing of HTC 8X in indian market which is coming out to be 35K. I think LUmia 920 might be around 40K. In case if any of you find any info on availability of Lumia 920 in Delhi please let me know

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone

Expressing your openion is not an argument!!! I've read numerous articles and with my personal experience I've concluded that there are some core features that make WP a much optimized OS (Specially WP8). Yes there is lack of App Support but within less than an year we will see Market place filled with half a million applications.

On android side, yes there are some things that I prefer over WP, since WP is still maturing. I find GS2 keyboard much better compared to my Lumia 900, then I consider WP more of a closed OS compared to WP. Then there are more apps but most of them are repeated Apps.

But I have 2 Galaxy S2s in my family and I've found Android more buggy compared to WP. Find its memory utilization bit sluggish. Take an example

1) My mom owns GS2 with ICS (purchased from UK) and my Wife owns an indian GS2 having GB. In both the devices I have to go to task manager and clear the memory otherwise the battery drains fast and it freezes. Despite the fact that GS2 has dual core and contains double the RAM compared to my Lumia 900 which still have WP 7.5. But I never faced any memory or battery issue till now and still runs smooth.

Yesterday I went to a Nokia store and asked about the availability of LUmia 920. He said that it will come by the end of Nov or first week of Dec with no information on pricing. I was SHOCKED!!!! with the pricing of HTC 8X in indian market which is coming out to be 35K. I think LUmia 920 might be around 40K. In case if any of you find any info on availability of Lumia 920 in Delhi please let me know
a better candidate to compare with WP8 would be iOS 5 (than Android) in case of stability, responsiveness, user experience. Android again has lot of things which makes it much different, which i mentioned earlier.
Since iPhone 5 is already available at 45K, and if Lumia 920 is priced at 40K, the comparison would be fair.

market wise, windows main competitor for No.3 Position would be BB10.

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah

What do you guys say about the HTC 8S? Rs 19,260. Better? Already stretching budget by 2k to get a good phone. I'm aware that there are no good Android phones in that budget.
Finally some sense. :)

Absolute no to each and every WP 7.x device. Don't even dare to waste your friend's money. :mad:

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

yahoo mail app? no
but you can use WP's own mail app with active exchange. Works great.

if you can get the 8s, then definitely get it.

Krow

Crowman
Haha, he wont review it. But I will write a WP8 piece for my company. Will post it here.

I can't find HTC 8S anywhere though. Have you guys seen it online or in stores?

noob

Cyborg Agent

What do you guys say about the HTC 8S? Rs 19,260. Better? Already stretching budget by 2k to get a good phone. I'm aware that there are no good Android phones in that budget.

Galaxy Nexus for 20K (18K with ebay coupon code)

a better candidate to compare with WP8 would be iOS 5 (than Android) in case of stability, responsiveness, user experience. Android again has lot of things which makes it much different, which i mentioned earlier.
Since iPhone 5 is already available at 45K, and if Lumia 920 is priced at 40K, the comparison would be fair.

market wise, windows main competitor for No.3 Position would be BB10.

Yes IOS and WP8 are on par in terms of smoothness. In indian market Lumia 920 has to compete with Galaxy S3 in terms of price and iPhone 5 in terms of better features. So if Nokia price themself 40 K in order to compete with iPhone 5, it will fail. However if they price on par with Galaxy S3 they will succeed. So just like the case with AT&T they have to put a subsidized price in order compete with Galaxy S3 and HTC 8X and be a HUGE success.

BTW I just saw its latest price in ebay. Its coming out to be 37950 INR, so hopefully when its launched the price should either be lower or the same.

ajaymailed

In the zone

Yes IOS and WP8 are on par in terms of smoothness. In indian market Lumia 920 has to compete with Galaxy S3 in terms of price and iPhone 5 in terms of better features. So if Nokia price themself 40 K in order to compete with iPhone 5, it will fail. However if they price on par with Galaxy S3 they will succeed. So just like the case with AT&T they have to put a subsidized price in order compete with Galaxy S3 and HTC 8X and be a HUGE success.

BTW I just saw its latest price in ebay. Its coming out to be 37950 INR, so hopefully when its launched the price should either be lower or the same.
galaxy s3 brand is pretty much dominating mobile space right now, regardless of advantages/disadvantages Samsung Galaxy Series phone are pummeling every other competition be it other Android models or iOS. Despite India being strong market for Nokia i don't see high end smartphone making good sales for them to regain their share because of android. for India, best bet is mid to lower & low end segment models priced attractively.
Microsoft Phone Sales Jump 139% In Q3 - Mobility - Smartphones -
Phone makers sold 4.06 million Microsoft-based devices worldwide, mostly running Windows Phone, in the third quarter, compared to 1.7 million in the same period a year ago, according to market watcher Gartner. That's a jump of 139%, and it pushed the company's share of the worldwide mobile OS market to 2.4%, up from 1.5% a year ago.
despite the jump in sales, even Nokias own Symbian market share, Samsungs Bada OS and collapsing Blackberry have better share than Windows.

Last edited:

galaxy s3 brand is pretty much dominating mobile space right now, regardless of advantages/disadvantages Samsung Galaxy Series phone are pummeling every other competition be it other Android models or iOS. Despite India being strong market for Nokia i don't see high end smartphone making good sales for them to regain their share because of android. for India, best bet is mid to lower & low end segment models priced attractively.
Microsoft Phone Sales Jump 139% In Q3 - Mobility - Smartphones -
despite the jump in sales, even Nokias own Symbian market share, Samsungs Bada OS and collapsing Blackberry have better share than Windows.

That is the reason Lumia 920 has to be priced competitively in order to take over Galaxy S3 in indian market. I've read numerous people who had Galaxy S3 and Lumia 920 and except for smaller screen they liked every aspect of Lumia 920 over galaxy S3

1) Camera (No one can match this camera in any department, whether its low light or motion sensor. There is one possible bug of softness in image under normal light condition and it WILL be resolved with next fireware release)
2) PureMotion HD Screen (best screen that any smartphone owns)
3) Speaker Quality (amazing over mono galaxy S3)
4) Wireless charging.
5) Better build quality

So with all these features if Nokia prices it competitively with Galaxy S3 in indian market, I don't see why it will not outclass

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.

when i bought, lumia 800 after every 4-5mins of use, the interference was kinda hang(doesnt respond, automatically goes to office), I then updated to latest firmware. Now, the problem occurs after 2-3 mins. i have to lock screen and back to make the device respond. should i take it to nokia care(within 7days of purchase)?

shashankm

I reign hell..

galaxy s3 brand is pretty much dominating mobile space right now, regardless of advantages/disadvantages Samsung Galaxy Series phone are pummeling every other competition be it other Android models or iOS.
Dude, no offence but samsung galaxy isn't doing remotely what it is expected to do, other than breaking some random-ass world records of finding the pockets of unprepared thanks to flurry of advertisements that absolutely mean nothing, *designed for humans* Uh?
Build quality is Nil, one accidental drop, its gone for good! Plasticky, gawdy feel apart from boring and 'iconic' UI, its the best battery hogger ever known to mankind, even with ICS or TCS, whatever! Apart from having lumia 800 since July, I have recently bought a Sony Xperia Tipo which other than its slutty name and music feat, has nothing seductive to it! Despite being a 1500mAH battery, and having ICS, it consistently runs out of memory, self-hangs more than hangman and try to play music while you plan to play a graphically intensive game, chances that it will crash/reboot on you are pretty much likely. Since then, I normally use it for taking a call and music listening, nothing else. Though I do agree on application market, it stands as numero uno quite obviously if we look at its age.
when i bought, the interference was kinda ...updated to latest firmware. Now, the problem occurs after 2-3 mins. i have to lock screen and back to make the device respond. should i take it to nokia care(within 7days of purchase)?
Of course, you don't expect a resolution to your problem here, do you? :)
You're a lumia user, this alone fact is enough to get you a cup of coffee at almost all nokia service centers with assured service (I got my broken screen of Lumia 800 changed for free, beat that!).

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

While I realize that there are people that use apps a whole lot more than me, I cant help but feel a little disappointed that the this whole concept of apps has been taken a little bit too far. I haven't exactly checked out WP marketplace so will refrain from commenting on it. The fact that people are lost over the 'number' of apps and number of 'cores' rather than on getting things done with as little fuss as possible shows a rather disturbing trend.

Exactly my thoughts. Its more of better apps rather than a better phone or even OS.

every popular website, web service have developed their own app, want to book a movie ticket, bookmyshow app, reviews imdb.com, find cricket news cricinfo, and innumerable news apps from every news agency. there are apps for that specific purpose so not everyone would be interested in that but something interesting is there for every body.

What's the use of an IMDB app when you can directly hit the website and check it straight away? Similarly, there are tons of useless apps just increasing the no.

Top Bottom