The Windows 8 Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fixed my wifi issue .. now I can browse net from mobile using pc's net connection ;-) .. had to assign static Ip address to the android device and need to give it proper gateway, dns server settings.

@ theterminator - as per one of your previous question .. I'm trying for some method to share files between pc and android device over wifi .. will let you know.

andy_65_in

Padawan
i m trying to reinstall google chrome because by mistake ive got searchdial engine installed which is interfering-how do i do it or how do i make google chrome my main search page again-if i want to delete it i get a notice close all google chrome windows-what to do

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i m trying to reinstall google chrome because by mistake ive got searchdial engine installed which is interfering-how do i do it or how do i make google chrome my main search page again-if i want to delete it i get a notice close all google chrome windows-what to do
You have to remove/uninstall searchdial engine from your computer. Either it is listed in Control Panel-->>Programs or in Chrome-->>Settings-->>Extensions. You need to get rid of that from either of the two places.

Fixed my wifi issue .. now I can browse net from mobile using pc's net connection ;-) .. had to assign static Ip address to the android device and need to give it proper gateway, dns server settings.

What if I use more than 1 device to use my pc's internet connection.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can use more than 1 device in wifi .. for eg. an android device like my phone when working as hotspot can support ( acc to the specs ) 10 devices so a router can serve more .. may be upto 255 theoretically but practically it would be far less though.

BTW, installed some wi-fi apps on my phone and now the perfectly working Wi-Fi is not working anymore .. I can connect with the pc ( pc running as hotspot ) but can't access net as the browser is showing Error 105 .. Unable to solve server's DNS address.

nick191

Journeyman
u didn't posted the Change Adapter Settings window ... Network & Sharing Center-->>Change Adapter Settings... post a screenshot of this to look at the adapters that you have

here it is...
sorry to be late...:p

NW sharing setting 1.png

@ theterminator - as per one of your previous question .. I'm trying for some method to share files between pc and android device over wifi .. will let you know.

can you please tell me that setting ? any screenshot !

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God

congrats. ;)

how about making a meta post with all common issues and solutions we've come up for general problems in win 8 like ad hoc, wifi etc? will be useful to members and lurkers from google.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
here it is...

View attachment 10704

Great! When you go to the Drop Down List under Network & Sharing Center-->>Change Adapter Settings-->>ZTE Wireless Terminal-->>Properties-->>Sharing-->>Checking "Allow other computers to connect through this connection" , what connections do you see? One must be "Local Area Connection *13". Do you see any other?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here it is...

View attachment 10704

can you please tell me that setting ? any screenshot !

on windows 8 :

create a Wifi hotspot.

Share your net connection and choose Home networking connection as Local Area connection 13.

Now the local area connection will get this ip address : 192.168.137.1

Go to your android device and under wifi settings when it finds the AP or hotspot .. touch and add password and enetr all others value manually .. in Ip adress field select static and give this ip :

and all other like gateway, DNS1 and DNS2 should be 192.168.137.1 and the subnet prefix is 24 and now try to connect.

nick191

Journeyman
Great! When you go to the Drop Down List under Network & Sharing Center-->>Change Adapter Settings-->>ZTE Wireless Terminal-->>Properties-->>Sharing-->>Checking "Allow other computers to connect through this connection" , what connections do you see? One must be "Local Area Connection *13". Do you see any other?

done...no change

done 1.png

on windows 8 :

create a Wifi hotspot.

Share your net connection and choose Home networking connection as Local Area connection 13.

Now the local area connection will get this ip address : 192.168.137.1

Go to your android device and under wifi settings when it finds the AP or hotspot .. touch and add password and enetr all others value manually .. in Ip adress field select static and give this ip :

and all other like gateway, DNS1 and DNS2 should be 192.168.137.1 and the subnet prefix is 24 and now try to connect.

saved,secure but not getting connected !
Screenshot_2013-05-25-11-14-33.png

nick191

Journeyman
turn off your data connection. If you have money, go get a 3g modem router.

Dude my lappy is under warranty so why should i waste my money ??
I have a router which has Wi-Fi but i got it from BSNL when i had a Ethernet Cable connection...Don't know i can use it or not will post photo of that after 3rd JUNE...

Having external exams...:p:)

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Dude my lappy is under warranty so why should i waste my money ??
I have a router which has Wi-Fi but i got it from BSNL when i had a Ethernet Cable connection...Don't know i can use it or not will post photo of that after 3rd JUNE...

Having external exams...:p:)

I forgot to state my point clearly. When I said to turn off your data connection, I meant turn it off & then try to connect.
What kind of Internet Connection are you using? Is a via dongle? In that case, your BSNL modem wouldn't work AFAIK. You will have to get a all-in-one 3G+Modem+Router at Rs. 2800.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
done...no change

View attachment 10719

saved,secure but not getting connected !

View attachment 10720

don't know why but the hotspot on pc and android should have the same name .. your pc's hotspot name is samsung and android device is trying to connect with virtualrouterplus which itself is a software ... so first make sure the virtualrouterplus app is not running in the background .. uninstall/remove it - reboot the pc and try again.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
don't know why but the hotspot on pc and android should have the same name .. your pc's hotspot name is samsung and android device is trying to connect with virtualrouterplus which itself is a software ... so first make sure the virtualrouterplus app is not running in the background .. uninstall/remove it - reboot the pc and try again.
Exactly, ..how did I miss that! The mobile should have the same name as is on the pc.. virtualrouterplus is an old connection which your mobile has saved. Thats why its showing saved, secure. You should turn laptop n mobile's wifi on, start network from pc n connect to it from mobile.

Reloaded

In the zone
Start button coming back :mrgreen:

*i.imgur.com/HTvJept.png

Continuing the Windows 8 vision with Windows 8.1

It's Official: Windows 8.1 Will Feature Start Button And Boot To Desktop Option

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's really great and I only hope to get a much quicker way to gain access into safe mode .. pressing button combinations to gain access into win8s safe mode is not for normal human being ( unless you're the neo from matrix ) so MS should really fix this issue or is there any fix already available ?

Top Bottom