The Windows 8 Thread

mrappbrain

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,
Can u suggest me a Metro Styled app to manage all the IM accounts together..Like Pidgin..Pidgin will force me to go to desktop mode.

YEah...its for the kicks... I am also trying windows 8 for last 48 hrs.

Well, some the apps are real nice, like RSS but with larger notification are. I like the news app...but there should news app for India too. All I see "Firangi" news.

Can someone suggest me an IM manager App like pidgin...Messenger Application is not working well.Pidgin just forces me to go to desktop now and then.
Id suggest the app IM+.It supports all messaging and is a metro style app.

Amithansda

Journeyman
The Internet Explorer in Metro UI seems lil bit of drag.
First of all address bar in the bottom kinda stupid...Say, you open a new tab by right clicking...You click the "+" on upper right corner and you have move to bottom to type address.

Lack of right click options available.. If you select a text and right click only Copy option is available, No Translation No Bing or google search.

Are those options too much to ask for???

And I am experiencing problems with Video Application now.... I got a huge video library and Video app does not start well.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
any news about chrome or mozilla getting released in metro?

try the latest version of GC and here's how to do it :

If you are installing Chrome for the first time and have set it as the default browser on your device, you will notice that Chrome launches in the Desktop mode. To use Chrome in the Windows 8 app mode:

Click on the Chrome menu (3 horizontal bars at the right of the address bar)
Select "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode"
All your open tabs will now relaunch in Windows 8 mode.

To switch back to Desktop mode, click on the Chrome menu again, and this time you will see the option to "Relaunch Chrome in Desktop mode"

source

amjath

Human Spambot
Windows defender is fused with Microsoft essentials now in Windows 8, so no pricey/free anti virus needed :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
why would advanced firewall protection be needed? any particular reason?

Defense+ and restricting internet access on application basis. I like to have complete control over that. Comodo with Defense+ alone is sufficient. No antivirus needed.

Further, I get to know which process or file is trying to access internet. Quite informative.

Amithansda

Journeyman
Defense+ and restricting internet access on application basis. I like to have complete control over that. Comodo with Defense+ alone is sufficient. No antivirus needed.

Further, I get to know which process or file is trying to access internet. Quite informative.

Thnx for suggesting...I was searching a Av or firewall that would help me monitor my network usage.
Comodo is free , I guess??

Native video app is crappy, I user media player classic anytime for video and windows media player for audio

Yeah...Native video app does not even show subtitles.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thnx for suggesting...I was searching a Av or firewall that would help me monitor my network usage.
Comodo is free , I guess??

Windows defender (already installed in win 8) + comodo free firewall.

For logging network usage : Networx

Top Bottom