The Windows 8 Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have a hp usa made laptop gifted to me which has win 8-how can i carry out partitions in its c drive to save data from crashes - i am a layman and had requested someone who says its not possible without a backup cd-it doesnt have any backup cd with it

backup important files, drivers etc. on a PD before proceeding - keep a windows 8 install disc handy in case you need it and lastsly make a bootable CD with free Partition Magic - boot your laptop with it and you should be able to resize the C drive and a makle a free partition out of the saved/free space.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
backup important files, drivers etc. on a PD before proceeding - keep a windows 8 install disc handy in case you need it and lastsly make a bootable CD with free Partition Magic - boot your laptop with it and you should be able to resize the C drive and a makle a free partition out of the saved/free space.

Doesnt win 8 have the partition tool embeded in like win 7??

rider

as Kratos
Why you people getting it so complicated making desired partition through easus partition manager is quite simple. You can make it in a minute.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, it's the easiest method - I've used easeus partition manager myself so can tell it for sure ;-) but Op should take backup important files and drivers before resizing/creating new partition.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
yep, it's the easiest method - I've used easeus partition manager myself so can tell it for sure ;-) but Op should take backup important files and drivers before resizing/creating new partition.
ok.. Windows 8 has the partition tool embedded in just like win 7.

Search for partition in settings on Metro UI.. or go to comtrol panel and find it in admin tools.. use that to shrink your partition. 100% safe and no need to use any third party apps

Amithansda

Journeyman
Hey Guys,
I have one query. I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot. Can I just upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 and still keep the Linux intact?
I got me worried because I heard that Windows 8 is forcing people to use it as primary OS and also forcing UEFI(or Something sounding like that) so that it would be difficult to dual boot the system.

nikku_hot123

In the zone
Hey Guys,
I have one query. I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot. Can I just upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 and still keep the Linux intact?
I got me worried because I heard that Windows 8 is forcing people to use it as primary OS and also forcing UEFI(or Something sounding like that) so that it would be difficult to dual boot the system.

Yes its perfectly fine as i am having the same config and both are ok. Only grub bootloader is showing windows 7 which u can change in ubuntu.:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS license policy won't never allow it but this the way to get win 8 for cheap ( after purchasing the upgrade key ) one just needs to download a legit digital copy of win 8 from MS official website.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well I would say good marketing strategy because this way many more people will get genuine Win 8 who were out of the question previously. :)

andy_65_in

Padawan
i googled to see partitioning win 8 and found one website where we have to work on diskmgmt.msc to start the procedure-now in between i have to enter amount of space to shrink in mb-what shud i enter here-ihave a c drive of abt 394 GB.please help.also what is the system to be entered is it ntfs or fat 32

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
i googled to see partitioning win 8 and found one website where we have to work on diskmgmt.msc to start the procedure-now in between i have to enter amount of space to shrink in mb-what shud i enter here-ihave a c drive of abt 394 GB.please help.also what is the system to be entered is it ntfs or fat 32

dude.. its not anything alien.. partitioning (or shrinking volume) was a feature of win 7 and win 8 carries the legacy.

Go to control panel -> admin tools you will see partition or shrink tool there. Now what you have googled is the command to go directly to this tool. Which also means its nothing external and is completely safe.

Put the format of the partition as NTFS.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

when you choose the option Shrink the disk management will automatically show you the maximum possible space that it can free up so that yu can use the free space to create a new partition - now you may enter any value on the "enter amount of space to shrink" field but as you are shrining C partition make sure you keep some space on it for future usages - at-least 30-50GB - the Total size after the shrink should read something like 30720 or 51200 MB or you better post a screenshot of what you see after choosing the shrink option.

andy_65_in

Padawan
thanks-have done my partitioning.now how can i add an app on my main screen-like i want to aff facebook or yahoomail on it-how can i do that

Broken In
My HP LaserJet M1136 MFP is not supported by Windows 8. :(

HP support website clarifies that they will provide the solution in December 2012.

It's so bad that the product which is still being sold, is not supported, neither by Microsoft nor by HP. :banghead:

Any solution guys ?

Top Bottom