The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Ah well, Dr bought his from the States where it costs $2000. Not sure how that translates to 72k, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper there.

I never meant to say Open source is for pirated content. Where would you get that from? I'm just saying MKV is in the real world is a means for distribution of pirated media. You don't find MKV being used by studios and other distribution models. Most of them use .mov or .wmv.

And yes, Sony's trackpad is bad. HP's trackpad is bad. Dell worse. Compaq/Acer is in the pits. All the Mac laptops have an excellent trackpad. I even worked at the film festival doing photoshop and whatnot while working on the iBook trackpad. (The PCs there sucked. Sahara branded or something)

As for the driver issue, it's real. Lots of people are having issues. This has been since the Sony went ahead with Vista. My friend went to Mumbai where he knew some technician who charged him 2k for the installation, after which the sound drivers wouldn't work. I think it was the Sony SZ series 140E or something.

reg. iPod, mp3 is standard. Its not lossless. besides, I decide what format I need to put. They dont advertise it as mp3 player... If that is the case as say a creative mp3 player or something like that I accept... for 280 Euros, I get a junk which can play only mp3/mp4 and everytime i have to see a movie or tvshow, i have to convert to mp4!
Like I said, geeks might want to look elsewhere. Believe it or not, most people don't care about all kinds of formats and such. Music comes in Mp3, just drag it into iTunes and sync up. If they want lossless, AAC lossless does a pretty good job. For those with an iTunes store, the process is even simpler. Now the movies thing, yes, they should have allowed avi format, but they didn't. Sucks I know. They have geared it up for legal iTunes store downloads I guess.

As for that mac configuration. 2GB of RAM costs $60 or so. Installing RAM is almost too simple. Just takes one screw. As for the hard drive, it does involve a little more work, but it is certainly user replaceable.

@ goobi: dude, you are getting stuff all wrong. AAC is the indudtrial standard. its mp3's successor, licenced by the ever so famous MPEG Group. Apple is just(and its a good thing) following latest standards. And again, AVI sucks. M4V sucks. But the former is a container, the later a codec. I personally use the mp4 container not codec , and I am satisfied. And FYKI, its made for stuff like DivX/XviD(mpeg4 part 10 ASP).

most of apple's products use standard stuff, but newer standards and different names(mov is hack of mp4; sorenson is hack of h.263/h.264, osx is a hack of freeBSD, safari is a hack of konqueror, etc.)

and to sum it up, AAC IS NOT PROPIATARY TO APPLE. M$ IS JUST TOO LAZY TO SUPPORT FUTURE FORMATS.

@grudge: Learning is Fun

@infra: I ment guys like linus torvaldis and other system level devs, not interface enthusiast devs like thee. sorry for offence.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yes. I do realise the difference between container and codec. But when you say AAC is industry standard, you have got it a little wrong. AAC is the future, sure. But how many devices you know support AAC? Most players, car audio systems and whatnot support mp3. Apple has used AAC and made their own container m4a is it? Same for the video.

praka123

left this forum longback
^do u wanna say,all Linux users are doing is configuring things? :rolleyes:
get the reality!u need to install multimedia codec which absolutely distros cant do much to able to bundle :-| also is the case with proprietary graphics drivers from nvidia,amd ati .

apart from that Linux Desktops be it Fedora or Ubuntu,slackware or Debian,they are meant for work;infact serious work(debian for eg used in space programs :D ) and most people who are into coding will prolly select GNU/Linux.

and for novices?
I can gurantee that unlike toys like windows vista etc,Linux is more than a eyecandy along with compiz-fusion.unlike beryl(now merged to compiz), CF bundles most plugins in usability POV although effects plugins like fire,water etc are just for show off for pwning vista and leopard guys.

I do have a respect for OS X as it is based on freebsd.but AFAICT,those who use mac purges something from their brains called "intelligence" after becoming a damn apple fanboy. :-| this is the reality! I do have relatives and friends who use mac esp mbp.they are such accustomed with os x that they are feeling they are in a unique league.but,the reality is mac is a tainted,hacked freebsd which can NOT gurantee the original BSD stability,security.eat that before justifying cool apps and eyecandy :-|

Infact few sensible guys are there in mac community who understands that Linux is indeed better esp the ideology it holds.

the few "configure" things happens in Linux is either due to lack of drivers for few printers,wireless devices.that will be,hopefully change soon.

One of this is a physics prof(ph.d) in a college here, who uses mac pro(that desktop with ppc chipset) for his work and to teach his students also.

He dual boots with Debian Linux for programming and entertainment too.
He can understand that a GNU/Linux user should have to get ready to accustomed with the new interface and tools.for that a week may be necessary.
that is called sensibility unlike using Linux in VM's and claiming used Linux :rolleyes:

In case of what I am doing with My Debian box,is I use it as a learning tool esp programming(n00b),use Gnome Desktop for my entertainment needs esp as a multimedia station,browsing,chatting all everything that I need.I have to say that I am not into gaming;for which I suggest getting a playstation is worth the money.

so,there is no need for FUD:GNU/Linux is ready to use and you need to dedicate yourself rather than whining about that it is not "windows like" or os X like :-|

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
me is back :D,

Whoa surprised to see this thread still running :D .

i may have missed many things in absence, but could not avoid launch of mac book air . Looks real sexy, but i am just aware of the looks and config . So far looks awesome.

goobimama

 Macboy
Hey Tarey! Long time no see eh! I thought with all that hanging you would be finished by now. Btw, this thread has just been 'poked' by me like yesterday.

Download Transmission 1.05

Select your Operating System:
Mac OS X
Download (2.5 MB)
Requires version 10.4 or later. 10.5 or later is strongly recommended.

Linux
Check your distribution's package manager (ensure any repositories are up to date)
Download the Source Code and compile it with the instructions on the development page
Need I say more? I do realise that Linux has that software management thing which is pretty awesome, but stuff like this is always around the corner...

infact serious work(debian for eg used in space programs )
Linux is I guess really good for scientific stuff and such. It is a really advanced system I'm sure. But I don't think any n00b will be running a space program. That requires a lot of knowledge on the intricacies of the system. I for one don't know what goes on inside OS X. I know it's something of BSD, but besides that I have no idea how a kernel works or why it works as it does. All I care about is that I can email my clients some nice looking documents which would have taken me twice as long and probably really boring to do on Windows. Not sure how that's possible on Linux.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^yay!!I just updated my gutsy install and now I can play urban terror at maxed out settings on ubuntu!!! with lower ping rates compared to vista!.good bye vista.

praka123:ygpm.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
A word about Idiot Friendliness. I see a lot of thread in OSS section "Newbie to Linux", "MetalHeadGautam Ubuntu queries" , "Trying & Learning Ubuntu. My Query Thread" , "Calling all Linux Experts: I've got a million questions... ", etc... the learning curve is pretty steep in *nix. Do you see such things in the Apple Mac thread? Goobimama was there to help me when I first used my Mac but I just had a few questions here and there.

Maybe that could be because of the difference of Mac to Linux users on this board. To indicate the trends of a population based on the responses on this board wouldn't be fair. Further more if the above were a standard in judging the trends in any scenario then I could argue that the reason why you don't see that many queries about Mac's because people can't afford it or find near to little use for it or that even Mac users are much more tech oriented than Linux users (In other words to use a Mac you need to be a Super Geek which we all know is not the case) . Please note that I'm not stating that this is the case. I'm just stating that I could argue that it is.

Nonetheless I recently checked out the prices of some of the Mac's and had a demonstration on a friends laptop I intend to purchase one very soon most likely . (No not the Air) For some reason the dealer declined me an offer of a demo :( . Maybe cause it wasn't exactly an Apple outlet? Do we have one of those in Cochin?

Off Topic :Oh by the way to the person who can't play Chessmaster and Fritz I recall that Linux supports both versions. I might be wrong about Fritz. Im a Chessmaster X series player. I believe that you might have different results for different versions of the Chess program. And out of curiosity what rank do you maintain on Chessmaster? We should play some time :) .

legolas

Padawan
Off Topic :Oh by the way to the person who can't play Chessmaster and Fritz I recall that Linux supports both versions. I might be wrong about Fritz. Im a Chessmaster X series player. I believe that you might have different results for different versions of the Chess program. And out of curiosity what rank do you maintain on Chessmaster? We should play some time :) .

Hey person, I am the person who queried about fritz and chessmaster :)
My official rating is 1440. I play here in a club in Germany. So far, I have played around 14 I guess, not sure... 12 Won, 1 lost, 1 dint appear.

In chessmaster, I played very long ago... before loving fritz.. It was around 1900+ but its a crazy software. I dont believe it.

Fritz -> the best!! Please tell me how to install fritz and java based programs for windows in linux!! ;) I will credit you by supporting for linux :lol: jk...

anytime on the week ends!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Ah well, Dr bought his from the States where it costs $2000. Not sure how that translates to 72k, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper there.
My MacBook Pro (legolas: It is an Apple Laptop) costs $2k. But Apple had an offer last year. $200 off and a free iPod Nano. $1800 converts to Rs. 72k.

iMav said:
and trackpad being bad u will find not more than 5 people on this forum who will say that because they have already bought a lac+ machines so it has to be better u know costlier means better logic
I've used and see all the Trackpads of Vaio, HP, Dell, HCL, Acer, Toshiba etc. The trackpad should not smooth. But with 6-7 months (2-3 months in case of Dell) of usage, they're smooth and don't offer friction. Does other brands give the feature and convience of a MacBook's Trackpad? The number of people use mouse on MacBook/Pro is a lot less than the number using mouse on other brands for the same number.

legolas

Padawan
Drgrudge, it might be true... I can not generalize it.
but, in my case, sony vaio VGN FE28H, i dont use external mouse. i use my touch/track pad... and its still healthy and frictionized... its been a year and 3 months almost.

PS: I am gonna purchase a salt-paper... just in case :lol:

reg. your signature.. an awesome song with coincidental "apple laptop" line to boot!! good one!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i have been using hp notebooks for a long time (dad's) and i find no problem in the trackpad it responds beautifully so if ur generalizing then i would its wrong to do so

and jeshtha what are u doing here- please go and download repositories for ur linux let us discuss the OS that is meant for work and not meant to be worked upon before u can work :lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
please go and download repositories for ur linux let us discuss the OS that is meant for work and not meant to be worked upon before u can work

In the normal case with the exception of Installation problems, happens on both platforms . However I will say it does happen much more on Linux. Alot of Distros have lesser for a user to install than the platform you are speaking about. An example is I can open my Office documents on a newly installed Ubuntu desktop. Or take the case of programs which are already installed. However I doubt that you can do the same in WIndows Xp newly installed. (No updates and AFAIK it doesn't install the reader programs). Even before you mention it Ill give you the advantage of having Mp3 support. Im not quite sure about a Mac and how the availability of programs is with it so Im not going there.

Oh by the way, the Mac may be ready to work Out of Box but definitely not any of the Windows platform. I haven't used Vista enough to know much about it so Im judging from my limited experience from Windows Xp .

Summary: There are trade offs in any Platform the person uses. Theres not a single OS with all of them. Maybe in the future someone will come up with one that does work.

Off Topic :
Hey person, I am the person who queried about fritz and chessmaster
My official rating is 1440. I play here in a club in Germany. So far, I have played around 14 I guess, not sure... 12 Won, 1 lost, 1 dint appear.
I don't have an actual ranking since I havent played in Tournaments. Online Rankings are basically stupid since a person with a 2k ranking in Chessmaster wouldnt be able to defeat a Human with a ranking of 1400.
In chessmaster, I played very long ago... before loving fritz.. It was around 1900+ but its a crazy software. I dont believe it.

I hear that Chessmaster is good Graphic wise. However Fritz better when it comes to games. I believe on the Chessmaster forums a comparison was done. Fritz owned it if I recall right.

Fritz -> the best!! Please tell me how to install fritz and java based programs for windows in linux!! I will credit you by supporting for linux jk...

Which version of Fritz are you using?
*www.calmar.ws/div/fritz_and_wine.html
That thread shows Frtiz running. So definitely I believe it can be done. As far as Java programs are concerned. You should be able to run ANY Java program if you have Java installed correct? In Ubuntu installing Ubuntu-restricted extras take care of this.
anytime on the week ends!
Will try to log on then :)
Ill post my availability in the Chess thread. I'm not very good although the Chessmaster thingie has given me a 2k + rating which I think is bogus.

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
Please tell me how to install [...] java based programs for windows in linux!!

Are you serious? How do I install Java-based programs in Linux?

You install it the same way you install them in Windows, Solaris, BSD, etc... It's JAVA. (Ya know, the write once, run anywhere stuff?) Yeah, there can be OS-specific code in there, but that's a choice of the *developer*, not the choice of the OS. Sun did a reasonably good job of keeping Java as agnostic as possible when it comes to OS's, so if you run into Java code that "doesn't work on Linux/OS X/Solaris", it means the person who wrote the code didn't *want* it to work for those OS's...which is hardly a reason to claim you don't like one OS or another!

Edit - Just checked out Fritz...the requirements list *Windows Media Player* and DirectX. Hrmmm...doesn't sound very "OS agnostic" to me...sounds like the devs wanted to lock that one in pretty hard...

Summary: There are trade offs in any Platform the person uses. Theres not a single OS with all of them.

When machines can read the mind of the person using them, and vomit forth whatever the person desires, then (and only then) will there be "one OS to rule them all"...so I agree completely with you here.

In the normal case with the exception of Installation problems, happens on both platforms . However I will say it does happen much more on Linux. Alot of Distros have lesser for a user to install than the platform you are speaking about. An example is I can open my Office documents on a newly installed Ubuntu desktop.

Again, this is discussing what OS matches what each *user* wants. I'd rather NOT have a bloated Office Suite on my machine...or be locked in to using Gnome/KDE/whatever...or be forced to use iTunes/Windows Media Player/whatever. I'd like to *build* my system to match *me*. Yeah, it takes a lot longer to build Linux From Scratch/Gentoo/FreeBSD (Yes, I build FreeBSD from source), but in the end I get a desktop that *I* want...not what some other developer decided would be best. In addition, I can strip out all of the useless crap that I don't need, so it's lighter and faster in addition to being focused on what I want...

You'd be surprised how easy it is building an operating system from source code (though, you Windows and Mac fanboys can't comment on that, can you? haha).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom