The RMA Experience Thread

GrimReaper

Right off the assembly line
almost my whole game pc setup went to ruin a month back because of voltage problem , i sent my 7950 card , 750tx psu and p67sabretooth board.... i sent these things on a rma with the help of the shop owner who built my rig ... managed to get a new psu 2 weeks after the date it was sent and the old card and new 3.0 revision of p67 sabretooth board yesterday ..... only old thing i got back from my rma was the card which was sent along with the new board from rashi .... i just hoped that my old card would work along with the new board and psu yet it dint work but without the card my rig runs perfectly .. so the card is gone again on a rma hope it just takes 2 weeks...

abhisheak

Broken In
Had to get my seagate sta 500gb hdd RMA'd from accel frontline due to sudden bad sectors.....lost my lifetime music collection...... seagate's website mentioned nothing about accel handling it. instead it had a companies name whom i phoned asking about the rma process. they gave me accel's details and stuff. pretty confusing at first having to register on their site for seagate products and stuff.

so i reached there service centre @nehru place
it was a combined service centre for seagate,asus,giagbyte,sony ericsson products
they told me to first get a esd bag for submitting my faulty hdd
so i paid there security guard to get a used bag
had to wait for 2-4 hrs to deposit my hdd.....
waiting period was very boring,,,,

i got the refurbished drive in 15 days....there is no home pickup or drop off
so u have to do everything by yourself

Hrishi

I am planning to upgrade my laptop by adding few ram modules , and if possible change the thermal paste ( something effective.) The OEMs don't use good quality TPs.
Is there any way this can be done without voiding warranty ?? I can't risk the 3 year onsite warranty , ( 34 months still left. ! :) ).
THere are some stickers on top of the screws , so it seems impossible to open it up without tearing them apart. [ warranty stickers to be precise.]

I hope its not an off topic question. :

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think doing such things will void the warranty for sure an there's no way from escaping from this unless you refrain from doing such works.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I am planning to upgrade my laptop by adding few ram modules , and if possible change the thermal paste ( something effective.) The OEMs don't use good quality TPs.
Is there any way this can be done without voiding warranty ?? I can't risk the 3 year onsite warranty , ( 34 months still left. ! :) ).
THere are some stickers on top of the screws , so it seems impossible to open it up without tearing them apart. [ warranty stickers to be precise.]

I hope its not an off topic question. :
Some brands (on some models), allow the user the flexibility to add RAM modules, without voiding the warranty (check your Laptop's Manual). My Dell N4010 has that option, where the RAM modules are easily accessible at the back by opening a simple screw. But, changing the thermal paste is something, which will definitely void any warranty left. Moreover, I won't recommend opening a laptop unless you surely know what you're doing. I've opened up mine, because the blower was not functioning, and then got stuck in reattaching the flex cable for the keypad. It took 2 hours to properly fit that flex cable of the keyboard.

Hrishi

Some brands (on some models), allow the user the flexibility to add RAM modules, without voiding the warranty (check your Laptop's Manual). My Dell N4010 has that option, where the RAM modules are easily accessible at the back by opening a simple screw. But, changing the thermal paste is something, which will definitely void any warranty left. Moreover, I won't recommend opening a laptop unless you surely know what you're doing. I've opened up mine, because the blower was not functioning, and then got stuck in reattaching the flex cable for the keypad. It took 2 hours to properly fit that flex cable of the keyboard.

Well I have opened several laptops ,( most of them had overheating issues.)
HEat-reballing , changing TPs , etc. Nothing dangerous though.

My previous laptop HM DM1 4010au , was very good in this context , I was able to dismantle the parts without even voiding the warranty. Just slide open the cover and you have almost everything at your disposal.
But that was a different case , :(.

This one is from Acer and carries the stickers right at the top of screws underlying which is the bay for RAM and HDD :(:(:(.

I think doing such things will void the warranty for sure an there's no way from escaping from this unless you refrain from doing such works.
Thanks, but , what happens if the thermal paste becomes useless :( which it generally does after couple of months or maybe a year max. ?? Will the service center replace it , if I ask them humbly :p , and make some offers ???

1.Do they really care to see if the sticker has been taken apart , when they come for on-site service ??? I have heard that most of them simply ignore such things.

2.Will it void warranty, if I get it serviced by authorized service center ??If yes , then Will it be too expensive ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
talking about service centers .. most of them have no idea about good TiM and unless the laptop is being over heated and shuts down due to this ( good enough reason to raise a support ticket ) they are not gonna help if the laptop is within warranty period and whether they will check those warranty seals or not welll it's entirely depends on the person in charge .. I've seen they inspect the seal very carefully and only then starts their job but you may try with local service center for any sort of special work with the laptop .. sometime persuasion does give sweet fruit.

Hrishi

talking about service centers .. most of them have no idea about good TiM and unless the laptop is being over heated and shuts down due to this ( good enough reason to raise a support ticket ) they are not gonna help if the laptop is within warranty period and whether they will check those warranty seals or not welll it's entirely depends on the person in charge .. I've seen they inspect the seal very carefully and only then starts their job but you may try with local service center for any sort of special work with the laptop .. sometime persuasion does give sweet fruit.
Finally managed to take the stickers out without breaking a sweat!
Took a patch of transparent Duct Tape/GlueTape and pasted it right on top of the Stickers.Applied some pressure on the Stickers after pasting the tape. Now after a while took the tape out using the edges carefully and gently. The stickers came up along with it. :)
I can stick it back whenever I want and no one will ever know. :)

Don't tell this to the RMA guys. :) :evil:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
@rishi : awsum job dude..

have to praise intel RMA service by digicare
i deposited the mobo (DH61ww) at the kolkata service centre of digicare, on friday 26th april
got a new one yesterday(monday, 29th april) morning around 11:00 am.

great..
impressed greatly..

oh, forgot to mention the problem,
actually the LAN module had gone kaput after the lightnings on wednesday or tuesday..
figured it out only on thursday..

Hrishi

Attachments

• IMG_20130426_152537.jpg
    IMG_20130426_152537.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there should be but it's not always possible as we need to abide by certain rules and restrictions and many manufacturers are connected with this forum's owners .. know what I mean ;-)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
there should be but it's not always possible as we need to abide by certain rules and restrictions and many manufacturers are connected with this forum's owners .. know what I mean ;-)
Aaaah but a little birdie said that whenever such conversation happens with a particular person in Digit publication, he does say in another words 'no can do since its a forum'. But still if this is the case then one will have to wonder if its wise to be on a media owned tech forum.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aaaah but a little birdie said that whenever such conversation happens with a particular person in Digit publication, he does say in another words 'no can do since its a forum'. But still if this is the case then one will have to wonder if its wise to be on a media owned tech forum.

didn't know that...

ok..
i'll try to compile it in a txt then.. hahaha

nowadays most of the forums have some kind of tie ups with some manufacturers but does this means it's possible to post a thread which describes "how to remove and re-apply warranty seal" .. or if it's fine by everyone else then it's good for me too.

Hrishi

Oh , seems like I missed some replies. :p

I thought about sharing that , but then like Topgear said , its not wise to do so.
Usually , many lame guys who don't know about the internals might try to follow up with this information any may end up with a messed up laptop.
It's not that easy to open up laptops(dismantle) , even when you get the screws off. They carry such delicate parts attached that you never know , when the hell might break loose if applied pressure.

Just to keep those new wannabe laptop dismantlers safe. :p {.}

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
I had a good experience with Rashi. But bad with Neoteric infomatique.

Detail: My 1.5year old Logitech Z906 speaker died. First I contact customer support who said they will replace it and take it to nearest service center. I first took it to Neoteric infomatique. I first called them and confirm that I going for a RMA speaker system. My city is 60 km distant from the service center city (bhubaneswar). In the hot 42degree summer afternoon when I reached at there service center, they saw me sweating from head to tow and answered me they no longer doing service for Logitech 'Speakers'. I asked why didn't you tell me that when I called you. They said it may be some gatekeeper or someone who had no knowledge and answered the phone. Being red hot and angry I came back with the heavy package and found no option went to nearest Rashi Peripherals.

Rashi, I must say, are irritating fellas. When I reached there, they did act like they are not supposed to do RMA for it. They took 1 long hour to receive it. Inquired from where I purchased it, How much I paid, The system had 1 year warranty and not 2 year, Confirmed by dialing to Logitech main office or something etc etc. And finally when I was given the receipt and asked when can I expect to get it, they said very rudely "We don't have stock. It will take 15days." After 18 days, I called them, they said the same thing again. Hearing this I mailed the Logitech Customer care again. A reply came that it is standard RMA procedure but they will surely inquire about the delay. After 9 days a lady from Logitech called and asked about my problem. I said what I had to. Finally, the same lady called me 4 days back and said the system must have been delivered at Rashi and I can collect them now. Finally Rashi called me and got a brand new package of Logitech Z906.

I am not sure if I hadn't contact the customer care of Logitech, how Rashi's service would have been. Still I was not put in much trouble instead of waiting a month. So it is Ok experience with Rashi.

Phenomenal

Broken In
Brand:Seagate
Product: Internal Drive 500GB SATA II (purchased in 2009 with 5 yrs warranty :D ...those GOLDEN DAYS!)
Replacements :
1)Refurb Internal Drive 500GB SATA II
2)NEW 1TB SATA III with 64MB Cache :)-D finally....Second time was a charm.Don't be too happy,read the LONG STORY of how exactly I got it!)
Service:Accel (like-HELL)
Conclusion : PATHETIC.
Seagate makes amazing products but I won't suggest or buy them just because of their hopeless RMA process handled by Axe-HELL!

All details here:
Long Story:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-r...e-usa-cc-accel-service-india-still-sucks.html
Short Story: It's all good now,been 4 months since I got the NEW 1TB DRIVE :D but if you don't have the time and patience,don't even try :)

Top Bottom