The Photography Thread

toofan

Technomancer
Pimpom congrats.

Check the last page of this months magazine. You had got your reward of that excellent photo of solar eclipse.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You mean they printed my photo of the eclipse?

I no longer subscribe to Digit and newsstands in my town have not been able to get the magazine in recent months. So I'll have to wait for my friend's subscriber copy to arrive.

Are you sure it's my photo? You can check this by comparing the cloud patterns in the picture. In fact, could you please do that for me?

If it IS my photo, they should have asked me first before publishing it. I would have readily given them permission. I would also have given them a much higher resolution version of the same picture. The picture I posted was heavily downsized. In the original photo, the sun's diameter is about 360 pixels across.

toofan

Technomancer
Friend I am so joyed that I cant tell you. If i could I would have scanned that page and posted here. I will try to do that later.

I am trying to copy how they posted that pic.

Its under community section(where they print the best post of the month from forum) page no 126 third last page.

pimpom
Alpha Geek

Ever since I made one of my occasional visits to NASA's eclipse site last year, I've been eagerly looking forward to this day. The eclipse was to be only slightly over 90% of total in my area and I knew a photo of it would be nowhere nearly as spectacular as in the totality zone. But it's the first major solar eclipse I'd have a chance to photograph.

I decided to stay up all night rather than catch a couple of hours' sleep and force myself to get up all woozy headed. With some friends whom I've been informally guiding in photography, I went to the house of another friend who's in a good location facing the eastern sky.

Dawn came but alas, the morning sky was heavily overcast, with thick fog rolling in too. There wasn't even a faintly luminous spot to indicate where the sun was. We watched TV, the clock and the darkening sky as the moment of maximum eclipse came and went.

Some time later, the weather relented a bit and we began to catch glimpses of the receding eclipse. We started shooting and I took some 60 shots. The clouds were moving so fast that the brightness level changed literally from second to second.

I saw no point in trying to check my exposures in between shots as the next one would need a different level anyway. I went entirely by guesstimate and kept turning the shutter and aperture dials, using exposure values from f/11 at 1/2000 sec with a filter to f/4 at 1/20 sec without a filter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I later found that more than half of the shots had acceptable exposure, at least acceptable to me, given the circumstances.

Here's the very first shot, taken about 10 minutes after the moment of maximum eclipse:
*s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/Eclipse-22Jul09_1.jpg
They had give you all the credit and I think they don't need any permission for this.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Toofan, thanks for your congrats and enthusiasm, but that's not my photo. It's Stuge's. But the text is my post. Are you sure the photo you've posted again is the one in the magazine?

There's a mix-up somewhere. Did they give me credit for Stuge's photo or did you mix up the pictures? Please check again and clarify.

toofan

Technomancer
Sorry: In enthusiasm I just mixed up the pics.
It was your pic and this is the link to it.

The Picture is edited.

mrintech

Technomancer
Nice Mrinmay!
Yeah! Thanks, I am just a Newbie ;-)

Ever since I made one of my occasional visits to NASA's eclipse site last year, I've been eagerly looking forward to this day. The eclipse was to be only slightly over 90% of total in my area and I knew a photo of it would be nowhere nearly as spectacular as in the totality zone. But it's the first major solar eclipse I'd have a chance to photograph.

I decided to stay up all night rather than catch a couple of hours' sleep and force myself to get up all woozy headed. With some friends whom I've been informally guiding in photography, I went to the house of another friend who's in a good location facing the eastern sky.

Dawn came but alas, the morning sky was heavily overcast, with thick fog rolling in too. There wasn't even a faintly luminous spot to indicate where the sun was. We watched TV, the clock and the darkening sky as the moment of maximum eclipse came and went.

Some time later, the weather relented a bit and we began to catch glimpses of the receding eclipse. We started shooting and I took some 60 shots. The clouds were moving so fast that the brightness level changed literally from second to second.

I saw no point in trying to check my exposures in between shots as the next one would need a different level anyway. I went entirely by guesstimate and kept turning the shutter and aperture dials, using exposure values from f/11 at 1/2000 sec with a filter to f/4 at 1/20 sec without a filter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I later found that more than half of the shots had acceptable exposure, at least acceptable to me, given the circumstances.

Here's the very first shot, taken about 10 minutes after the moment of maximum eclipse:
Mr. PIMPOM

Use Flickr with a All Rights Reserved or Some Rights Reserved beneath each Photo :) I recommend using Flickr to all Digitians :)

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Generate Bokeh effect in your photos

You might have seen photographs in newspapers or magazines wherein the subject is pin sharp while the background is smoothly blurred. Such photographs are not only beautiful to look at but also help in keeping your attention to the spot where the photographer wants you to. If you always wanted to do the same to your photographs, you must read the following & start practising to get perfect with what professional call as – Bokeh.

Read full article

Specially for Rhitwick :smile:

toofan

Technomancer
@mrintech nice pics but I think you haven't done touching to them.
Every professional photographer edits there pics so you should also.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Thanks, swordfish. If I knew that they were going to print my post, I would have written a longer, more detailed and more interesting post.

toofan

Technomancer
Paint.Net ( Free one)
Adobe Lightroom
PHotoshop CS4

I use Paint.Net easy, quick, small.

Or you can use the software provided by the camera manufacturer.

Which camera do you use and its specs.?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You can do a lot with Irfanview too. For quick adjustment of brightness, gamma, contrast, colour balance, cropping, resizing, etc., I use Iview most often.

Top Bottom