ISO Speed 80

*img504.imageshack.us/img504/4313/sunflowerd.jpg

Shooting Mode Manual
My Colors Mode Vivid
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/160
Av (Aperture Value) 3.5
Light Metering Evaluative
ISO Speed 80

Now comment how I would have improved on these pics.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
For taking pics of lightning One can use the brust mode of the camera which takes some consecutive photos in one go.

But you need to be lucky and fast memory card so that these pics can be stored quickly.

nah.. i dont think this will be helpful.. you need to have long shutter for lighening photos else you will end up with just dark photo..

^^ nice pics above..

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
inspired to pur flower pic too..

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/3743815480_d6e4c0618f.jpg

Camera:Canon EOS 450D
Exposure:0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture:f/8.0
Focal Length:91 mm
Exposure:+0.60

toofan

Technomancer
This is called a DSLR PIC.

But why you used aperture: f/8.0 it can be around 3.4 to 5.4 or something. I m new to photography so these questions will help me and other newbie.

Do you use tripod.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Ever since I made one of my occasional visits to NASA's eclipse site last year, I've been eagerly looking forward to this day. The eclipse was to be only slightly over 90% of total in my area and I knew a photo of it would be nowhere nearly as spectacular as in the totality zone. But it's the first major solar eclipse I'd have a chance to photograph.

I decided to stay up all night rather than catch a couple of hours' sleep and force myself to get up all woozy headed. With some friends whom I've been informally guiding in photography, I went to the house of another friend who's in a good location facing the eastern sky.

Dawn came but alas, the morning sky was heavily overcast, with thick fog rolling in too. There wasn't even a faintly luminous spot to indicate where the sun was. We watched TV, the clock and the darkening sky as the moment of maximum eclipse came and went.

Some time later, the weather relented a bit and we began to catch glimpses of the receding eclipse. We started shooting and I took some 60 shots. The clouds were moving so fast that the brightness level changed literally from second to second.

I saw no point in trying to check my exposures in between shots as the next one would need a different level anyway. I went entirely by guesstimate and kept turning the shutter and aperture dials, using exposure values from f/11 at 1/2000 sec with a filter to f/4 at 1/20 sec without a filter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I later found that more than half of the shots had acceptable exposure, at least acceptable to me, given the circumstances.

Here's the very first shot, taken about 10 minutes after the moment of maximum eclipse:
*s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/Eclipse-22Jul09_1.jpg

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
This is called a DSLR PIC.

But why you used aperture: f/8.0 it can be around 3.4 to 5.4 or something. I m new to photography so these questions will help me and other newbie.

Do you use tripod.

It was so much sun light at that time so i kept it a little narrow so picture is not over exposed. No i didnt used tripod..
I have tripod but its a big one so not so handy to carry :(

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
Ever since I made one of my occasional visits to NASA's eclipse site last year, I've been eagerly looking forward to this day. The eclipse was to be only slightly over 90% of total in my area and I knew a photo of it would be nowhere nearly as spectacular as in the totality zone. But it's the first major solar eclipse I'd have a chance to photograph.

I decided to stay up all night rather than catch a couple of hours' sleep and force myself to get up all woozy headed. With some friends whom I've been informally guiding in photography, I went to the house of another friend who's in a good location facing the eastern sky.

Dawn came but alas, the morning sky was heavily overcast, with thick fog rolling in too. There wasn't even a faintly luminous spot to indicate where the sun was. We watched TV, the clock and the darkening sky as the moment of maximum eclipse came and went.

Some time later, the weather relented a bit and we began to catch glimpses of the receding eclipse. We started shooting and I took some 60 shots. The clouds were moving so fast that the brightness level changed literally from second to second.

I saw no point in trying to check my exposures in between shots as the next one would need a different level anyway. I went entirely by guesstimate and kept turning the shutter and aperture dials, using exposure values from f/11 at 1/2000 sec with a filter to f/4 at 1/20 sec without a filter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I later found that more than half of the shots had acceptable exposure, at least acceptable to me, given the circumstances.

Here's the very first shot, taken about 10 minutes after the moment of maximum eclipse:
*s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/Eclipse-22Jul09_1.jpg

good pic.. Clouds become nuisance [FONT=&quot][/FONT]in your pic.. i hope you didnt see directly from viewfinder ;)
you should have taken some drinks in night while you were awake all night with friends.. :D

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
good pic.. Clouds become nuisance [FONT=&quot][/FONT]in your pic..
Hey swordfish, you quoted my entire post, but did you read through it, especially the part where I described the shooting conditions? Clouds were unavoidable.

i hope you didnt see directly from viewfinder ;)
Not sure what you mean here. Oh, you mean the risk of damaging my eyes by peering through a lens? Nah, I didn't use a DSLR. The electronic viewfinder (EVF) limits the brightness of any spot in view to well below danger level. Anyway, I didn't use the EVF. The swivel LCD screen is more suitable for this type of shooting.
you should have taken some drinks in night while you were awake all night with friends.. :D
:D I don't drink, but maybe *you* had a few too many last night and couldn't get up in time to shoot the eclipse??? :lol:

Stuge

Youngling
few pics

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2497/3748714240_563002e423.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/3748438679_c34dff7662.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3748438417_63a810d108.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/3748438137_674ca0f8c2.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/3748437833_47a93233b3.jpg

Picture are taken in Patna .Unfortunately ,I couldn't see the total eclipse or the diamond ring due to clouds :(

Sun came out just after 3 min when total eclipse and everything was over .Still ,since I went there specially for eclipse ,so I decided to take few pictures of it .

So ,all in all it was a wasted trip :(

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Nice pic. Pimpom which cam do you have.
Thanks. I use a Panasonic FZ30. It's a 2005 model, so it's quite old by digital camera standards. In its day, it was considered to be the king of non-SLR cameras and rivalled many entry-level SLRs.

Its main shortcoming is a high amount of noise. This is true of all non-SLR digicams, especially of Panasonic. OTOH, it also has advantages over SLRs: it comes with a long-zoom, fast (wide aperture), high-quality lens in a body that is significantly smaller and cost about one-third the price of an SLR with equivalent lens and features.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
few pics

Picture are taken in Patna .Unfortunately ,I couldn't see the total eclipse or the diamond ring due to clouds :(

Sun came out just after 3 min when total eclipse and everything was over .Still ,since I went there specially for eclipse ,so I decided to take few pictures of it .

So ,all in all it was a wasted trip :(
Nice pics. Too bad about not catching the moment of totality.

Since the totality zone was in the tropics in the rainy season, many others were also disappointed. I really feel sorry for scientists who made long trips to India, China etc., many of them from western countries, who were denied the chance to take scientific observations because of the weather.

In my town, the Science Promotion department organised a team that included the local astronomy club and many other interested individuals. They went to a hill top that they thought would be a good observation point. Even after the clouds had partly cleared, the thick fog that had enveloped us lasted even longer there, and they did not get to see ANY part of the eclipse at all.

toofan

Technomancer
Thanks. I use a Panasonic FZ30. It's a 2005 model, so it's quite old by digital camera standards. In its day, it was considered to be the king of non-SLR cameras and rivalled many entry-level SLRs.

Its main shortcoming is a high amount of noise. This is true of all non-SLR digicams, especially of Panasonic. OTOH, it also has advantages over SLRs: it comes with a long-zoom, fast (wide aperture), high-quality lens in a body that is significantly smaller and cost about one-third the price of an SLR with equivalent lens and features.

I thought you have a dslr. Amazing results with this cam.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I thought you have a dslr. Amazing results with this cam.

A lot of people wrongly assume that a DSLR is a must to take good pictures, and that a DSLR always takes better pictures than a non-SLR. It's true that an SLR is a higher class of camera, but it's not always better at everything or for everybody.

I think it was you who asked for advice about tripods, wasn't it? I've been meaning to reply, but always forgot. I don't know of a particular model that I could recommend in your price range. The big-name models are all very expensive, but there are cheaper ones that are quite OK.

This is what I suggest. Go to a photography shop in your town/city and ask to have a close examination of the models they have in your price range. The movements should be smooth in all directions: swivel or pan (rotating it horizontally), tilt (angle up and down). The legs should also extend and retract smoothly. It should make the camera stay firm and stable unless you move it.

Don't go for an all-plastic one. These types usually have very jerky movements and it's very difficult to adjust them properly.

You might have a look at a Vivitar VPT 2400 or 3600.

Top Bottom