The Photography Thread

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You're welcome. A few more suggestions:

Make a trial upload of a picture and copy the link. Click "Post Reply" (not Quick Reply) on this thread. Insert the link and click the "Preview Post" button. If you did it correctly, your image will appear on the preview pane above the message box.

If it does not show up, check the method. If you need help, ask here.

It's a good idea to keep the size of your image down so that they do not take too long to load, especially for those with slow connections. Use a maximum of 640x480 (preferably smaller) and save it as jpeg at 60-70% quality. This will result in a file size of a few tens of kilobytes.

toofan

Technomancer
Ohh I will try to resize the pics. But will they show clear. As my camera takes pics of about 3.5 mb in size. some go as high as 5.5 mb.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
There will inevitably be some loss of detail when we resize an image, and compressing it to a lossy format like jpeg will also cause some loss of quality. The more you reduce the size or compress them, the bigger the loss of quality.

However, if the reduction in size and quality is done with some thought and trial, the loss will not be obvious and the result is usually perfectly good enough for online viewing.

All the images I've posted here were treated this way before uploading them to the hosting site.

When you resize and compress the image, choose "Save as" and save it with a new name, NOT over the original file.

Don't save photos in GIF format as that will reduce the palette from 24-bit (16.8 million colours) to 8-bit (256 colours). GIF is fine for drawings that have a small number of different colours and produce smaller file sizes than jpeg.

Irfanview is great for resizing, cropping and compressing. Also for adjusting brightness, contrast, colour balance, etc.

toofan

Technomancer
*img199.imageshack.us/img199/2138/evening.th.jpg

File Name IMG_0074.JPG
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
Shooting Date/Time 29/03/2009 5:46:49 PM
Shooting Mode Manual
My Colors Mode Off
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/1250
Av (Aperture Value) 5.6
Light Metering Evaluative
ISO Speed 80
Lens 6.0 - 60.0 mm
Focal Length 34.9 mm
IS Mode On
Image Size 2816x2112
Image Quality Superfine
White Balance Auto
AF Mode Continuous AF

toofan

Technomancer
Why this is showing as a thumbnail. I had saved this image at 60 % compression but when i tried it to resize its size increased to more than 10mb.

I am waiting for comments about that photo and some image resizing tips.

Thanks.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@CoolG5, I've bought Sony PowerCharger. Model: BCG-34HLD. It accepts 2700mAh. Both AAA and AA batteries supported.
The set came with two AA 2700mAh batteries. It costed me 900/- :)
I bought another two AA 2700 mAh same battries @200/- each
Total 1300/-

Now struggling with "Shalow depth of field"....its just not happening. I guess I've to revisit my camera manual:-(

toofan

Technomancer
rhitwick for shallow depth of field try to use some zoom, then use the f stop(AV) between 3 to 5. If i understood what you were talking then the problem solved.

I will post my new pic whenever I will master the resizing thing.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@CoolG5, I've bought Sony PowerCharger. Model: BCG-34HLD. It accepts 2700mAh. Both AAA and AA batteries supported.
The set came with two AA 2700mAh batteries. It costed me 900/- :)
I bought another two AA 2700 mAh same battries @200/- each
Total 1300/-

Now struggling with "Shalow depth of field"....its just not happening. I guess I've to revisit my camera manual:-(

Good Buy. :)

For shallow depth of field,

1) Set the widest aperture on your camera i.e. lowest F-Number.
2) Backstep from your subject a little & zoom in to your subject. Do keep in min F-Number since it will change while you zoom in & out.
3) Use MANUAL Focus for better results. AUTO works fine but upto a certain degree only.
4) You will notice a heavy blur only if objects are far behind your subject. So keep that in mind you won't notice any significant blur if the objects which form the background are quite close to the subject.

Read this for further help.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
1) Set the widest aperture on your camera i.e. lowest F-Number.
2) Backstep from your subject a little & zoom in to your subject. Do keep in min F-Number since it will change while you zoom in & out.
Do I need to go for Macro or Super-Macro?
3) Use MANUAL Focus for better results. AUTO works fine but upto a certain degree only.
I was using Manual only, but I guess I messed up the settings.
4) You will notice a heavy blur only if objects are far behind your subject. So keep that in mind you won't notice any significant blur if the objects which form the background are quite close to the subject.
o_O......so thats the reason I got zero blurr. Hmm, let me check with keeping things at distance.
B/w, I was trying at night, let me try at day.

Read this for further help.
Thanx

toofan

Technomancer
ritwik here with manual coolG5 means with "manual focus" and you might be misunderstanding it with "manual mode".

The higher the zoom higher the blurring.

Can anyone suggest a good free software to resizing the images without any problem.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
ritwik here with manual coolG5 means with "manual focus" and you might be misunderstanding it with "manual mode".

The higher the zoom higher the blurring.

Can anyone suggest a good free software to resizing the images without any problem.

Yes, you hit the nail. Rhitwick, I didn't meant MANUAL MODE but MANUAL FOCUS. :smile:

Toofan, you can use Irfanview. Small, Free & Fast.
Use Batch resize by pressing 'B' to convert/resize a handful of images.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
one question to all lightning picture photographers ,

How can you take the pic of lightning ? is that u press shutter the right time or set to long exposer ?

i really feel hard

and if it is lightning then it must be raining too
how you protect the camera ?

PS : I will be getting a good camera soon . expected to be a entry level dSLR .

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
one question to all lightning picture photographers ,

How can you take the pic of lightning ? is that u press shutter the right time or set to long exposer ?
Max, read my posts on page 2 of this thread. Then, if you have further questions, ask.

i really feel hard

and if it is lightning then it must be raining too
how you protect the camera ?
Don't you often see lightning from your window or your verandah? If you can see it, you can photograph it. You don't have to go out in the rain. In any case, rain and lightning do not always occur at the same time.

PS : I will be getting a good camera soon . expected to be a entry level dSLR .
Good for you. But don't think a good camera will automatically turn you into a good photographer. It takes patience, diligence, imagination, etc., but the results are worth it. Know that you are always learning. Learn from your mistakes and enjoy the process of learning.

toofan

Technomancer
For taking pics of lightning One can use the brust mode of the camera which takes some consecutive photos in one go.

But you need to be lucky and fast memory card so that these pics can be stored quickly.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
The most important thing needed to capture lightning(or any nature pics) is patience of a sage.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Why this is showing as a thumbnail. I had saved this image at 60 % compression but when i tried it to resize its size increased to more than 10mb.

I am waiting for comments about that photo and some image resizing tips.

Thanks.
You copied and posted the wrong link string. Your link was this (except that I substituted square brackets with parentheses, otherwise my post would show the thumbnail again instead of the text string) -

(URL="*img199.imageshack.us/my.php?image=evening.jpg")(IMG)*img199.imageshack.us/img199/2138/evening.th.jpg(/IMG)(/URL)

First, the string (URL=................evening.jpg") and the (/URL) at the end are not necessary.

Only the string (IMG)*.............jpg(/IMG) is needed, but with square brackets.

Second, you copied the link for the thumbnail. See the .th.jpg near the end of the string. The .th points to the thumbnail rather than the full-sized picture. So, with this picture, the correct link should be
(IMG)*img199.imageshack.us/img199/2138/evening.jpg(/IMG) - with square brackets of course. Note the absence of the .th extension.

It's fortunate that you unintentionally posted the thumbnail as your picture is still way too big. You tried to post a 6 megapixel image of 815 KB. Here's how to resize your picture:

Open the image with Irfanview. Click the drop-down menu under "Image" or press Ctrl+R. The resize window will pop up. Under "Set new size:" type in the new size in pixels.

Check to see if the "Preserve aspect ratio" box is ticked (it is ticked by default). If it's ticked, you have to type only the size of the width or the height.

I saved your photo and resized it. A 600x450 at 70% jpeg quality results in a 52.8 KB file size, and 400x300 gives 38.2 KB.

Now try it yourself, but don't post it again until you're sure that the image size and file size are small enough for posting.

toofan

Technomancer
Pimpom and photographers I am looking to buy a tripod for my cam. Can you suggest any.
In my city I found.
1. One of Sony RS 1800.00 black in color and height of 3.5 feet.
2. Simplex Rs 900.00 & 800.00 aluminum made(clearly seen) and height of 4.5 ft and 5 ft.

And can you suggest any shop in Delhi. I can ask my bro to pick it up for me.

Top Bottom