The Photography Thread

toofan

Technomancer
Nice one. Stuge I am in delhi these days check your P.M

Chitvan: the panning shot was excellent. I missed that earlier due to some problem with browser.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Stuge: the lens cannon supplying this time with Canon 550D is IS one and different from earlier one. I checked its performance on slrgear.com Its quaility is same as nikon one and even better.

I m really confused between Nikon and cannon this time. Only 2 days left of my stay in delhi.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@chitvan: the pp on the second shot was brilliant. Did you know what look you wanted before the pp, or did you just experiment till you got it?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have a small question...If I got a budget of 25k is it better to go for entry level SLRs like Nikon D3000 or should go for prosumers like Canon PowerShot G11

I mean My ultimate concern would be crystal clear pictures at 10mp size...with no noise or distortion

I have compared many point and shoot with entry level SLR and found that the pic quality is better in SLR...even if point and shoot contain CMOS or CCD sensor

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
The Powershot G11 is actually not a prosumer but they fall in the category of hybrid DSLR's. The camera do packs a punch & will allow you to experiment. There is a good room for your creativity to splurge.

Getting an entry level DSLR on the other hand is nice but then you will start noticing its drawbacks(lens investment, sensor cleaning etc) once you advance in photography. My recommendation would be to get the powershot G11 or upscale your budget to accomodate mid end DSLR's like the Canon 500D & the likes from Nikon.

For your purpose, the Powershot G11 will serve good.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@sujoyp: you will be more satisfied with buying a prosumer/bridge cam rather than a dSLR IMO. If you really like dSLRs so much, try out what it feels like by brrowing/renting/stealing an SLR and using it for a month or so.
@Cool G5: No "photography" photoset, but there is *picasaweb.google.com/ganduranga. Almost full to capacity.

toofan

Technomancer
I will suggest you to go for entry level dslr its quality will be more then enough.
G11 is also better then other P&S but Dslr will be much much better.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

*www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T2i-EOS-550D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml

Check this link this has made me to go for Nikon D90. So Will I be buying D90 or Not?
Let see what happens tomorrow.

sujoyp

Grand Master
what about the quality...I am bit unsatisfied with the performance of prosumers...They tend to provide many options but ultimately falls on night shots and iso settings..

What i like in G11 is that it has many SLR type manual features...

Thanks everyone:)

chitvan

Journeyman
what about the quality...I am bit unsatisfied with the performance of prosumers...They tend to provide many options but ultimately falls on night shots and iso settings..

What i like in G11 is that it has many SLR type manual features...

Thanks everyone:)

which camera do you use currently...?
DSLR has main advantage is biter sensor...which produce excellent image quality...
but it doesnt mean that Compacts produce bad quality images...
even u can carry everywhere your Compacts in shirt pocket unlike DSLR...with lens in bag..,

but if u need it for professional work then buy DSLR only...otherwise go for compact..,

G11 is a nice camera...,it comes in Advance Compact camera category...
you can see these too...
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS with 14.1 MP & 14 Optical zoom
*www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx210is.asp

Canon PowerShot S90
*www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s90.asp

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3(the best advance compact camera i have seen ever...)
*www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclx3.asp

&
Sigma DP1/DP2

Stuge

Youngling
Charminar

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4442223503_e18f8c893a.jpg

different processing :)

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4443004724_9176446d2b.jpg

D

Deleted member 26636

@stuge: awesome angle on the charminar photos..love the PP'ed one..

Stuge

Youngling
1.One picture of the sky + one picture of the monument (for correct exposure ) .you can do that with single raw file too :)
2.blend them
3.Saturation ,Contrast ,Curves touched
4.Nik plugin used -> Pro contrast -> Solarization
5.Noise removed :)
6.Exported as Jpeg

I was aware about that kind of effect ,but every time I process ,I try out different things (thats the most important part of post processing )

I could have get away with GND filter I have ,but I was standing on a narrow footpath like thing, and traffic behind me was just too chaotic .I didn't want to get hurt in the process of snapping pictures .So,blending was the only option left .

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@stuge - Why the cropped pillar on the left side?
Contrary to others opinion, i disliked the image. Seems as if squeezed from the right side.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
This is a noobish film and the song was noobish too. But I liked the background of the girl.... please...shutter bugs, find a wallpaper of the background. the song was shot in Switzerland,BTW.

*lh6.ggpht.com/_5ov5jXEH0sA/S6OEyY9ZoEI/AAAAAAAAAE8/-FpydwIM2NY/vlcsnap-2010-03-19-19h35m11s164.jpg

Stuge

Youngling
@stuge - Why the cropped pillar on the left side?
Contrary to others opinion, i disliked the image. Seems as if squeezed from the right side.
thats wide angle lens for you .whether you like it or hate it .Well,due to chaotic traffic it was just not possible to go backwards even an inch ..I was hit once by an auto while snapping this one and was quite close to being hit by bus too.

those who wanted to know why I couldn't go backwards.

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2765/4445423459_3d6322845e.jpg

Last edited:

toofan

Technomancer
Hi friends

Yesterday on 19th I went to C.P and got my D90. Stuge was also there to help me. Then we went to CCT and he gave me some tips and shot some Images. I will be posting some of them as soon as I go home(Nainital).

Thanks Stuge for those long chats and taking pain to be with me at time of shopping and for all those tips and suggestions.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Stuge: the Charminar shot is just awesome. I liked 1st one for its originality and superb composition.
2nd one give me an idea what can be done to an image if that effect has to be created and required.

vamsi: I liked your image and the background too. Did you shot this at the location?

Krow

Crowman
vamsi: I liked your image and the background too. Did you shot this at the location?
I think vamsi took a screenshot from the movie itself.

Many congrats on the D90. Please post a pic of the D90. Also, give a short review if possible. :) How much did it cost you? Lens kit costs?

Top Bottom