The Photography Thread

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
You need to set the exposure according to the '600 rule' to avoid star trails. (600 / focal length = exposure time) So for a 50mm lens the exposure time is 12. A fast wide angle lens would give a full capture of the Milky Way while allowing longer exposure times without trails. (drools at Zeiss Distagon 21 :D )

My home is quite far from the city so it's pretty dark here in the midnight, no light pollution issues. Yesterday I could see the arm of Milky Way with my bare eyes so tried to give it a go. (A mobile app like Sky Map is very helpful to locate the position of deep sky stuffs.)
ah so that explains it, because imagined that's pretty impossible to get with only long exposure and high ISO. that's a great tip though to take non star trail shots of night sky without having a sky tracking rig. never seen it even with bare eyes

sujoyp

Grand Master
donno how it looks from bare eyes ...but when I went to tadoba jungle safari...I tried some starry night shots and they didnt look like this...I mean there is bunch of a million stars but no formation like this picture have

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Raziel, That's one of the best astro photograph posted in this forum :thumbs:
This is one of the very few times, I heard that milky way can be seen naked eyes. I wanna to see one... don't know when that's gonna happen. :)

Raziel

Journeyman
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION]: It was faint, but still visible to the naked eyes from my location..looks like this *montrealinpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/bencanales.jpg?w=201 Just google Milky Way for pics.

It was around 2AM here and the sky was clear even though it was raining a lot the day. Also I have a Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bino that makes me gaze in to the heart of it and wonder.."omg it's full of stars" :razz:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks nac :) well, It's not that easy to see Milky Way with naked eyes, but yes when the conditions are right. You have to wait for the time of the year when it's visible..and look near the Constellation Sagittarius on a clear night, from a very dark location. (Use a sky map app to find the location.)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, it's not that easy when there is lot of light pollution esp. when the milkway is just over the horizon... :) And I don't dare to go to a place where the darksky is... There is a place about 50kms from my place and one is about 150kms, but both are reserve forest.

Raziel

Journeyman
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]: I don't recommend you go many miles into the woods at night to see the galaxy, but I wouldn't stop myself from doing that either..it's just personal. It's kinda awe inspiring..ethereal, surreal feeling..A glimpse in to the universe, making me wonder..filling with lot of philosophical questions in my mind..kinda difficult to explain..lol

[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION]: Nice pics, loved that bee hive :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac do all those things only when you have a car or a group of friends...just dont go alone ....some times back I was shooting stars in a dark place with a friend , a policeman stopped to say that he is concerned about our security and we better leave the place for good ...we agreed and packed away

thanks [MENTION=120687]Raziel[/MENTION] ...this I shot after a almost 2 months gap ...and I need to start all things again :)

kaz

right here
[MENTION=120687]Raziel[/MENTION] amazing one :) But how can you look at the galaxy with your naked eyes? Which place is that? I think its possible at the poles....

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Well if go you go to places far from cities and all where there is no light pollution then you are able to see a crazy no of stars. Seen some awesome stars during a couple of treks i went to Never seen a galaxy cluster though

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
[MENTION=120687]Raziel[/MENTION] - That's awesome.
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] - Bees pic is nice, you still haven't given up on birds; yet have you ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
nope ;) ...I have found soo many kabootar here in mumbai...and some eagels live around my place....but now I dont have the big lens ...soo will shoot kabootar in different position ...I am giving them food daily :)

I will shoot a better bee pic...I could not control the over exposed sky....maybe try a HDR on that

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Things are installed,can do PP now :)

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/IMG_4216_zpsc3439713.jpg

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/IMG_3973_zps804af777.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
2nd one is nice nac....1st one composition is superb but editing is not good...need more contrast, sharpness, saturation

Top Bottom