The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] for that too you need to get the optical trigger receiver...it can be attached under the hotshoe of the flash.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, no need of that... I don't know whether it differs from model to model or not. The videos I seen where photographer just used in-camera flash to trigger the external flash.
This is one among the few videos I seen the method used I was talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like in-camera flash light hits the sensor or something of external flash and it fires.

- - - Updated - - -

And here... little more explanation on that...
Simple optical slave triggered flash:
This is when an external flash is triggered by the burst of light it sees from another flash, and this is what you can use with your point and shoot, but only under certain circumstances. Here's why:
*johnbagnell.blogspot.in/2009/09/using-off-camera-flash-with-point-and.html

I remember we have discussed this before. :blink:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac that flash may have a slave mode which can take optical trigger to flash....what I said optical trigger or wired trigger is simple one and can be used with any manual flash without any technology

chitvan

Journeyman
thanks for the link chitvan ...I tried yesterday...got ok kind of droplet pics but could not create any collision shot ...even when dropping continously...will try more this saturday sunday
You are welcome bro,
Which kit you have bought for droplet photograpy?

Droplet collision photography is harder than normal droplet pics,
see collision doesn't occur at every falling drop and it doesn't give same shape everytime.
Keep trying...it takes time.. All the best :)

chitvan

Journeyman
[MENTION=10032]chitvan[/MENTION], that is a pretty good write up, will need to give it a shot this weekend. How are you triggering the external flash? optical slave?

Another thing, what stock/microstock sites are you uploading on? I've been trying that out for fun over the past year and am on Getty, iStock, DT, 123rf and a couple of other chindi sites.
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION], need some advise. I have a super old vivatar flash that can be fired via a button. Can't mount it on the cam, can't make it an optical slave. Suggest some ideas to use it

I used wireless remote trigger,
I am on
Bigstockphoto
Dreamstime
Fotolia
Shutterstock
Nowadays nkt getting much time to upload on stock sites.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Read the droplet photography link. I did it using in camera flash at low ISO. It gives decent results but the flash reflection on droplets doesn't look good. I think sujoy should use faster shutter speed and burst mode to get the desired results?

The shape of collision will depend on the height from which droplet is falling. Try changing that

chitvan

Journeyman
[MENTION=128954]sujoy[/MENTION]
Droplet collision is really very difficult task,
But i think this is the best kit for droplet collision photography
www.cognisys-inc.com/HowTo/water_drops.php

It releases 2nd drop at the perfect time to make collision possible,because interval between two falling drops is the most important here.

One more thing...pro droplets photographers(like corrie) mix some powder(I think any "gum" but not sure) in water to change its viscosity.
You can search more about it on flickr.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks [MENTION=10032]chitvan[/MENTION] for all the tips ....I will try a lot coz I have 2.5 days holiday from tomorrow :D
I have read about increasing the viscocity but for drop collision its said that plain water is the best one.

[MENTION=132251]prashant[/MENTION] my flash can not go beyond 1/250 soo I have to work under that...and I am already shooting it at burst mode :)
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] making fun of me again :D I am trying hard to learn this new toy ;)

Hrishi

Got my 300mm tamron Di LD lenses for Sony A58. The auto-focus is extremely noisy and tad slow.
I don't mind it as I prefer to use manual focus most of the time.

Time to starting my birding lessons now. [ And Moon photography of , course as I have a tripod too now. ]

Any suggestions about moon photography ??

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=17225]Rishi[/MENTION] ...focus on the moon...spot metering...underexpose by -1 ...shoot on tripod....use timer to shoot:)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
was trying out some macro adapters last week ... seems like a pretty good buy

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5346/13482559974_cae73b21ae_z.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
@amlan magnification is good but whats with the color of leaves and overexposed leaves ??? did you shoot when sun was right above?

kaz

right here
No, no need of that... I don't know whether it differs from model to model or not. The videos I seen where photographer just used in-camera flash to trigger the external flash.

It's like in-camera flash light hits the sensor or something of external flash and it fires.

And here... little more explanation on that...

John Bagnell: Using Off-Camera Flash with a Point and Shoot Camera

I remember we have discussed this before. :blink:

This was helpful I never knew this....

Link for some good articles on using external flash and flash triggers please..... :)

Hrishi

Went to Zoo today , but was not able to reach there in time for appropriate shots.
I will be posting some of my first few clicks from my DSLR . ( Unfortunately I forgot to bring along my tripod and it was a big time mistake which I realized only after reaching the zoo. My hands are not steady at all , and on top of that the heavy Telephoto lenses :facepalm:.)

PS : Created account on Flikr as well .

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3769/13494925115_b8f115f154.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3757/13495483625_7b458af9e2.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/13495917354_5214d21386.jpg

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/13495892124_a81cfaa30a.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/13495498235_ab088ceec4.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3705/13494625963_8202a07361.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/13494653263_9c2e612766.jpg

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/13494575785_0df9020df3.jpg

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/13494963274_0d13deab18.jpg

My first bird Shot.
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3683/13494646405_e9f8f73d74.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=17225]Rishi[/MENTION] ...focus on the moon...spot metering...underexpose by -1 ...shoot on tripod....use timer to shoot:)

Okay.
Unfortunately moon isn't visible today in Delhi. I hope , tomorrow I get a shot at it.

- - - Updated - - -

^
Congrats for the purchase.

For start, focus @ infinity, use spot metering.

So for all remotely located objects , focus @infinity. Right ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom