Human Spambot
I did...I did :p

here you go...

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/13160465614_a2754ee91f_b.jpg
Big Buddha, Phuket by abhidevmumbai, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/13160187915_af9556c838_b.jpg
Big Buddha, Phuket by abhidevmumbai, on Flickr

Hrishi

What lens kit do you guys prefer to capture long-distant shots of birds , etc ??? My 18-55mm doesn't takes me far , so I was wondering if this would be a good alternative for time-being as I don't want to be broke buying an original Sony lens .
Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Sony Digital SLR Lens - Tamron: Flipkart.com
Will this be okay for capturing insects , leafs , rain-drops as well apart from long-range shots ??

sujoyp

Grand Master
Rishi Tamron 70-300 di ld is a OK lens...it performs good in good light...since it dont have any vibration reduction inbuilt it performs very poorly in low light ...like cloudy weather or evening ....in day time it perfoms as good as any good lens

you can get a sony lens or get a Tamron 70-300 VC USD costing 25k to increase your range

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah that factor I did not consider ...in that case Rishi can get this lens ...the only disadvantage will be slow focus motor ...but its really useful for 1:2 marco shots

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
What lens kit do you guys prefer to capture long-distant shots of birds , etc ??? My 18-55mm doesn't takes me far , so I was wondering if this would be a good alternative for time-being as I don't want to be broke buying an original Sony lens .
Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Sony Digital SLR Lens - Tamron: Flipkart.com
Will this be okay for capturing insects , leafs , rain-drops as well apart from long-range shots ??
70-300 is one of basic necessities in a kit, but won't be as good as say the 70-400 which is a bit better for birds, insects and long range. it keeps getting better from there. Yes Tamron is a good alternative. you might feel need for tripod pretty soon.
go to a photography workshop? these are great for getting the hang of a camera quickly, and understanding what kind of gear you will need.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Unless you are really serious about birding I'd advice to stick with the 18-55 for a while. Like izzikio already pointed out, its a very versatile lens. If you already find it limiting you, then either your needs are different or just havent used it well enough. Doesnt it do pseudo macros as well ? The canon 18-55 can do that upto 25cm which is prety good for a beginner you know :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
even if you want to do macros at this point of time you can easily do them with some macro converters (check ebay for this) or by reverse mounting the lens.

The lens itself seems like a pretty decent deal except for the flaws that sujoy pointed out. If you can live with those for the next couple of years then go ahead and buy the lens. Otherwise stick with the kit lens for some time, explore what lenses you can borrow from people, figure out what are the things that your kit absolutely cannot do (awesome bokeh, very low light, zooming into that bird sitting on a tree) and plan your lens purchase accordingly.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Thanks [MENTION=10032]chitvan[/MENTION] :)

- - - Updated - - -

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/13160301543_f01e78715f_b.jpg
Ko Phi Phi, Thailand by abhidevmumbai, on Flickr

chitvan

Journeyman
Nice try,
capture same at the time of sunset/sunrise with better composition,
you can get better light that time.

abhidev

Human Spambot
actually this was when I was traveling on a boat and sadly the boat timings are little odd....only till afternoon :(

- - - Updated - - -

here is another one...

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/13160300363_284341c0e3_b.jpg
On the boat Ko Phi Phi, Thailand by abhidevmumbai, on Flickr

guys please do comment on the pics... :D

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Couple of night photographs taken this week.

Stars:
I thought of trying star trail and this is one among the photographs taken for star trail. Star trail end result wasn't good. I am getting dotted line, so dropped the idea. It was developed from a RAW file. Yeah, it's noisy as it was shot at higher ISO setting.

*i.imgur.com/fdIDBWZ.jpg

Cloudy moon:
I have taken a very similar one before. The colour was nice when I looked up the sky few nights ago, so the reason for capturing this one.

*i.imgur.com/zUirxxr.jpg

Please leave your comments and do critiques.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=84261]abhidev[/MENTION] you could have taken a better composed shot then 2nd one..it may have looked lot better :)
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] I am sorry to say but both are not upto the mark
1st one have just too much color noise ...and stars are not that clear due to that
2nd one everything looks blurry ...but yes color seems good

sujoyp

Grand Master
no I am talking about 2nd one with a bit of boat in it...dont know why but I liked the bit of boat and flower in that pic ...it feels leisure

Top Bottom