The Photography Thread

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@gen in 2nd the eye is perfectly in focus ...I didnt sharpen anything soo maybe ...I should have selectively sharpen the eyes ;)

Never said that about the 2nd.

I thought the eyes were underexposed in the 1st & eyes don't look that sharp in 3rd,
may be you can try selectively adjusting eyes for the first, because apart from it, it perfect, either way I love both of those pics (1 & 3) for the lighting.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen sorry not 2nd I was talking about the dog 3rd one :p ...ok will give another try for eyes of 1st one

@medico your b&w is looking much better then original one

@anorion is it you with dslr :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Bought a Nikon D5100 yesterday. Can someone give me a good heads up guide/tutorial link for shooting tips with this camera?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sam get The Digital Photography Book by scott kelby and read it thoroughly ...its the simplest book/ebook available to learn

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@sam get The Digital Photography Book by scott kelby and read it thoroughly ...its the simplest book/ebook available to learn

thanks a lot man, hey for a quick start, can you tell me the fstop and ISO settings with a no zoom 18-55, for a night cityscape snap? :p

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Some great shots on the last page.
I'm not a very big fan of B&W shots, but, what medico posted was indeed a great shot.:)
Again great bird shots, Sujoy.:p But, those dogs are surely gonna sue you someday, for posting their objectionable pictures online.:twisted:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@sujoyp nope, it was someone doing reverse ring macro photography... at Sanjay Gandhi National Park. had never heard of it till yest

sujoyp

Grand Master
@kaz photography is more of a science when you hold a cam to shoot ....soo have to read and see youtube videos

@sam I am not good at cityscape but just for beginners we can use 2 settings
1. Hand holded aperture priority f5.6 @ 18mm ISO800 or ISO 1600
2. keep it on a stable surface put on shutter priority set shutter speed 4" sec@18mm and ISO 100

try some combinations :)

@anorion I have done that 2.5 yrs back for macros...its quit difficult and better to get macro lens :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@Anorion: Am planning to do that, was smiling when I saw your shot

@Sam: if you have a tripod or a stable surface to put the cam on then use the following settings
f/8 or f/16
minimum ISO : 80 or 100
Increase shutter speed till you get proper exposure :
put a 10sec timer so that your pressing the shutter button does not cause blur by moving the cam
turn off image stabilization: sounds stupid, but for a mounted camera the mechanism itself causes some motion and hence blurring
focus at infinity (manual focus is much better since the shot is usually a little dark for the autofocus to work as well)

Share the pics, I guess we'll all be able to give better advise once we see what you are shooting

sujoyp

Grand Master
@amlan do remember some things when using reverse ring...
1.you are using ur lens in reverse and dust can enter through back coz its hollow in many lenses...
2.secondly if u accidently bump ur plastic mount of ur lens somewhere then ur lens will not be usable ever.
3. front side is strong enough to hold filters but not strong enough to hold a heavy lens...its not a mount..dont try it on a zoom lens like 55-250
4.reverse ring needs aperture ring on the lens else you have to control the aperture liver manually...it may damage the liver

what I did was get a Rs.3000 Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF lens (not new D lens or AFS lens) and used it with reverse ring...even that lens get damaged will not make big damage on my pocket.

You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011 :-D

Thanks those pics are hilerious :D :D

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac if I increase the exposure , the golden hour sunlight will become brighter and will not look yellow...nor the beak will look red also lots of details will be lost ...you give it a try casually and tell me
I mean, you could bring out the shadow details in PP. Was it shot RAW? You bet, I did it already... :D
@anorion is it you with dslr :grin:
I was about to ask the same thing. :)
Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials for Beginners - Digital Photography School

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
thanks a lot man, hey for a quick start, can you tell me the fstop and ISO settings with a no zoom 18-55, for a night cityscape snap? :p

Quick tip:
1. Use the auto mode to get exactly what you wanted - a quick guess on appropriate the settings. Dont take the photo, just notice the settings.
2. Now remember the following handly rules
a. Half the exposure (2x faster shutter period) => double the ISO for the same exposure
b. 1/30s is pretty much the limit of handheld photography with a good 18-55 lens like the default Canons

A bit more advanced is trying to balance the EV meter at 0ev (negotiable) while keeping one/two parameter(s) fixed (like the shutter speed/ISO) - Thats what I use and prefer. Keep shooting :)

PS: More zoom => lesser exposure since the f number increases - keep that in mind. A shot which would be unusable at the 55mm end MAY be possible at a lower focal length on the same lens. This of course applies only to the regular zooms like the 18-55 stocks and not the nice, constant f lenses.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac how is this edit of kingfisher...but you can not view it more than 1024x768 or you will find it too grainy :D

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/12286334295_45baf4ec22_z.jpg
12264624584_042c623e01_o111 by sujoypackrasy, on Flickr

kaz

right here
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/12298693474_26cf42253a_c.jpg
Mr. Kunal Ganjawala

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/12298839376_29a9da69e6_z.jpg
Mr. Kunal Ganjawala

@kaz photography is more of a science when you hold a cam to shoot ....soo have to read and see youtube videos
I prefer online articles and youtube the most :)

Top Bottom