The Photography Thread

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thanks @ Sujoy for explaining.

@ Pranav ,whats with 4145w and 4149e in Flikr? To me the 4149 looks better......

Both are from the same late night cycle ride. I couldnt decide which one I liked more - the warmth of one pic or the light-trail in the other - so kept both.

I updated my earlier post with the images from flickr :D Please check.

Ah, much better. Nice pics if its from a PnS.

Whats with the different styled name-stamping on the different images ?

I have adobe Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom too,which one is better for PP. And what about those two CDs from Canon do they have software for post process too?

Never used Light room myself so cant comment on that.

I use a set of three tools in the decreasing order of frequency: A firm believer of the right tool for the right job.
1. Picasa
2. Paint.NET
3. PS

frostbite

Broken In
Thank you so much. Means a lot. I'd love to get into the technicalities but my camera doesn't allow much manual settings.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
For a beginner RAW *may* be too much. As he learns more maybe he can choose what he likes. Why add a step if he can do just fine with JPEGs ?

with raw, te possibilities are endless.

and why use DPP when you are using Jpegs?? the s/w works best for RAW PP.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
with raw, te possibilities are endless.

and why use DPP when you are using Jpegs?? the s/w works best for RAW PP.

Incinerator has clearly mentioned that he is new to all of this. I see far better value for him in Jpeg+Picasa/Paint.NET than trying to work with RAW+DPP.

Not saying DPP is bad, it isnt. Just that he has better options being a beginner.

With RAW the possibilities may be endless, but I am confident enough in JPEGs doing it better for a beginner. Damn, after about a year, I still find myself leaning to JPEGs over RAW. IMO, JPEGs are terribly underrated. Not one pic from my Flickr feed is a RAW and so far (I havent tried HDR) I have found nothing to complain about JPEGs. The ease of use does it for me.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
beginner or not, one should realise that RAW is far more superior to JPEG.

Incinerator has clearly mentioned that he is new to all of this. I see far better value for him in Jpeg+Picasa/Paint.NET than trying to work with RAW+DPP.

thats your opinion.

JPEGs are terribly underrated.

Believe me, its not. its the world's most preferred pic format ;)

so far (I havent tried HDR) I have found nothing to complain about JPEGs

start using RAW (+DPP or PS w/ Camera Raw). then you'll know what exactly to complain about. ;)

btw, each photo on my flickr(except a few earlier ones) are RAW. :)

frostbite

Broken In
Thanks man. Guys what kind of photography I can try with my point and shoot. I am like totally out of ideas. I tried light painting it was rather fun, but the maximum exposure I could give was for 15 seconds (shutter can't remain open for more than that). And also can anybody suggest how to get good and still pictures in night without flash.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
frostbite, what camera are you using? Can't seem to find EXIF data on your flickr page.

If you really want to try some different types of shots check out a thread for photography projects. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cameras-camcorders/174801-photo-projects-practical-approch.html

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes that thread was to promote new ideas..

btw guys participate in that thread and submit something :D or at least give some new ideas...I will be back to india on 1st november and then I will have resource to do any type of photography or project you want :D

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
If Picasa were the sales brochure for a car, Lightroom would be the comprehensive owners manual and maintenance guide,and Photoshop would be the o.e. repair manuals
Picassa vs. Lightroom - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Thats so well said IMO.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@Incinerator: i see you have bought a 600D. now is the best time to start experimenting with RAW.

in your best interests. :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Finally did that raw vs jpeg comparison experiment this weekend. Posted the pic and the description on the postprocessing thread.

Hope more of you start shooting raw now

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Finally did that raw vs jpeg comparison experiment this weekend. Posted the pic and the description on the postprocessing thread.

Hope more of you start shooting raw now

Looking forward to the comparison since I was always too lazy to do it 'properly' myself. BTW, I cant find the post there...

Ah well, I found it via your Flickr photo stream. Can you provide a link to untouched samples of both pics ?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am still not convinced to shoot RAW .... I still dont understand how will I PP each and every RAW file if I have 200 of them ...and if I apply a batch conversion to jpeg...how will it be different then in-camera jpeg. You may say that batch conversion settings are done by us, but then each pic need different exposure and different sharpning, how a batch conversion will help me??

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If you want to PP then RAW is the way to go. I take my own time to do that because each pic requires individual attention. JPEG limits the PP.

Top Bottom