The Photography Thread

quagmire

Allllright !
@faun: Epic pics.. :-o

One from my side:
Taken from Canon SX240. Original unedited.

Settings: 2.5 sec, ƒ/6.8, ISO 100, 90 mm
LED torch light shined from a distance, no flash.

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/9839612955_dd74a5a78c_c.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
@quagmire ...just loved the rose and water droplets on it ..very beautiful

one of my splash shot...didnt share it before coz its yet again a splash shot...but people liked it soo sharing it :)

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5507/9734732770_e7cc57578a_z.jpg
Splash2 by sujoyp, on Flickr

anmolksharma

Broken In
Aerial View of Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/9853137216_a542cb3550_z.jpg
edit - Copy by anmolksharma, on Flickr

anmolksharma

Broken In
I own a Nikon D3100. I want to know which mode is best for shooting portraits? The camera's inbuilt portrait mode or Aperture priority mode? Should flash be used or not?

Any tips to get good portraits. I will be covering a party event this week.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@anmol
1. what is ur idea of portrait in party?? is it group photos or one by one ...will u be getting chance to try art or its just random shots.
2. if u actually want portraits...try to take the shots without flash...at high ISO like ISO 1600...and take the shots in good light.
3. if somehow u have to use flash the u will not get any artistic shots from inbuilt flash...just normal group shots
4. 18-55 is slow lens...dont take a portrait shot at 18mm...at lest zoom to 24-35mm to get a portrait shot.
5. if ur party is dark and u need to flash then ur only option is a cheap external flash..buy it

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@sujoy flash would create shadiws no? Also flash pics are very crisp. Portrairs with soft texture and little grain, accurate skin tones look better imo.

Even I agree with point 4. Portrait lenses are usually in 50 to 85mm range. Shooting above 35 will give roughly 50mm which should be good

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
A flash is a good idea since in a party no one will stop to pose. The best thing to do would be to get a fladh that can tilt. So you can bounce it off the ceiling. That'll give you much better colors and softer shadows.

If you do take posed shots do it against a lit background with the flash filling in. That will create a nice halo around the person.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am against using pop up flash for portraits...specially in evening parties...the pics mostly look blown out..with white skin and black background...only en external flash which can bounce the light off ceiling can be used....that gives nice colors.

Actually my intention to tell him use above 24-35mm was due to distortion...people should not look like alien :D with long nose ,long hands etc ...if its a group pic then you can use widest 18mm to accomodate

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ How about a diffuser of some kind for the pop up flash?

RX100 has a tiltable pop up flash. Is there any DSLR does have that kind of flash?

Top Bottom