The Photography Thread

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You can very well use this lens for portrait. You will nice bokeh at tele. I am sure, the picture will be much better than kit lens.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
*i.imgur.com/kfbWqv4.jpg

Was just checking all image modes and clicked this. :D
How to make the text in notebook blurry, like book's text?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Focus at the book, texts in the notebook will likely to go blurry. Keep one of your finger close to camera (about 5cm), half press the shutter and now take your finger off the frame and press all the way to get most of things blurry.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Nice shots there nac :)

Got my 50mm prime finally. Not very impressed, if not for the el-cheapo 6.7k price. Makes a flimsy-noise when focusing, Jitter at the very extreme point of the macro end when focussing as it constantly deals with the inability to focus on an object less than 45 cm away. A couple of loose contact errors and didnt AF when i first inserted into the camera. All in all just :| right now.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
*sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1008615_632521833443393_1357120266_o.jpg

Tried partial coloring on an old photograph(clicked in April). :D
This will probably look better on a red colored car...

Done. :D
*sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1008500_632528203442756_1774381838_o.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
nice cars nipun

@pranav have patience ...there may be some of ur fault in dealing with the lens...50mm lens in nikon and canon are equally popular :)

Sky is beautiful here ....today's shot

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LfshiH2xJV4/UbtilRkvpeI/AAAAAAAAI60/23DwugE_EL8/w1134-h709-no/DSC_8435.JPG

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
You can very well use this lens for portrait. You will nice bokeh at tele. I am sure, the picture will be much better than kit lens.

yep... i tried it out on my mom and dad, bokeh was pretty nice.

the lens is good for daylight only. that too, with terrible AF. and i mean goddamn terrible AF. slow as hell, and inaccurate. i am using MF :|
and it has visible color fringing at the tele end, and looses sharpness.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would say dont use it for portraits above 200-220mm ...300 mm is bad in most consumer lenses...AF is like that only...u will get used to it...my friend take great pics with that lens.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Prashant, Vertical panorama? Nice to see a different resolution/aspect ratio. I like that idea. I will try when I see a possible scenario...

Pranav, Thanks for the comment. Congratulation on your new purchase.
Very recently, I read a similar post. Did you initiate the return? Loose contacts are normal, I read but I don't knom about other things you said about the lens.

Nipun, Nice selective colouring. Are those yours? or just another photoshop :)

Anirban, How did they feel when you were armed with the mini bazooka? :)
Two of you guys bought a new lens and both your first impressions are not good. Didn't research enough??? :?:

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac its cost vs satisfaction .....more u pay chances r more u will be satisfied :D

canon 50mm lens cost 6.7k and pranav have soo many issues ...If i buy one i will pay 13k for nikon AFS 50mm 1.8 soo i couldnt afford one

anirban bought 70-300 di ld for 7.5k ...to reach 300mm with VR a 55-300 cost 10k more and a nikon afs 70-300 vr cost 4 times that nearly 27k
soo more u pay more u get :D ...dont worry guys u will find ur ur techniques very soon and get good shots..its just matter of practice and time

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
my philosophy is practice with materials of lesser quality, and by practice, i mean, trying to bring out the best with a thing of lesser quality, become a master with the bad thing, trying to conquer the challenges that it throws at you. then after moving on to a better quality material, you can wring out the absolute perfectness out of the better thing.

i knew before i bought it that i would get the not-so-good-lens. ;)

and in optics, money matters BIG time. i was saving up my pocket money for this. so... i'll buy after i have my own money to spend. not my dad's money.

nac its cost vs satisfaction .....more u pay chances r more u will be satisfied :D

canon 50mm lens cost 6.7k and pranav have soo many issues ...If i buy one i will pay 13k for nikon AFS 50mm 1.8 soo i couldnt afford one

anirban bought 70-300 di ld for 7.5k ...to reach 300mm with VR a 55-300 cost 10k more and a nikon afs 70-300 vr cost 4 times that nearly 27k
soo more u pay more u get :D ...dont worry guys u will find ur ur techniques very soon and get good shots..its just matter of practice and time

Tamron 70-300 VR is ~27K. :\

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah anirban you are right...if u have noticed my lenses u will find most of them r basic ones and cheap except last tamron 17-50 2.8 that too bought used....I also follow ur philosophy of getting the max out of cheaper things :) u know what i paid for
55-200 vr -12k (new) I use it for birding too
50mm 1.8 D - 3k (used) portraits mostly..nikons one of best lens
55mm 2.8 macro AIS -5k (used ) said to be one of nikons sharpest lens
tamron 17-50 2.8 - 15k (used) new cost 22k
and I use the cheap and simple D3100

soo overall its the techniques and ability not the camera and lenses :)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
one improvement that i definitely have had is while working with non-IS lenses. my low shutter speed shots are MUCH more stable than people using IS.

and i hope to do the same with the 70-300 too. at 300mm the camera shake is ghastly. even the shake due to the falling shutter shows up under 1/60. :|

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson

You mean the cars or photograph? :p
I had clicked the photograph(in April) and later edited it using Paint.NET(Photoshop alternative - Open Source).

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Prashant, Vertical panorama? Nice to see a different resolution/aspect ratio. I like that idea. I will try when I see a possible scenario...

Pranav, Thanks for the comment. Congratulation on your new purchase.
Very recently, I read a similar post. Did you initiate the return? Loose contacts are normal, I read but I don't knom about other things you said about the lens.

Anirban, How did they feel when you were armed with the mini bazooka? :)
Two of you guys bought a new lens and both your first impressions are not good. Didn't research enough??? :?:

Thanks bud :)
I researched for months tbh. I feel like it focuses a wee bit faster than the 18-55 stock, but the jitter is very very annoying. Sometime today I was trying out the AF on everything and I got this in such a setup that I am looking through a window into the houses outside. And boy, the AF went full retard. Pressed the shutter button half down and the AF continuously jumped from the windowpane to the houses outside and did it continuously without settling at either end. This continued for some 6-8 seconds until I released the button giving up any hope of a proper lock. I never had such issues with the 18-55. It'd sometimes take a second or two to lock focus but it'd lock somewhere atleast, not keep jumping around. And I thought the 18-55 was noisy, but this one gets the crown. Not just plain noisy, but also a very plasticky noise.

The lack of OIS is also very noticeable, irrespective of the aperture. Something is funny here. I havent really gotten time to have a look, weekends are al I get these days, but something is definitely funny that I who could shoot pics as slow as 1/30 of a sec without much of an effort on the stock seem to be hitting blurry pic after blurry pic on this. Its not the lens' fault though, this one. I used it on my tripod and and it was very sharp.

Maybe I am just xpecting too much from a sub 7K lens (I remember being quite disappointed with the 18-55 initially, but then loved it as time passed and I got familiar with it), so currently a wait and watch game.

Oh, btw, outrageous bokeh available on tap though (pentagonal but then, thats not very noticeable, unless you are specifically looking for it.)

I dont plan to return it currently. I did see something that looked like a permanent marker-mark on the contacts even before inserting it into the camera, guess its the source of the loose connection. Inserted and removed the lens a few times, the mark has gotten scratched and the issues seem to have gone away, as of now.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nipun, I mean the cars... askin because it carries your name :D :D on it's number plate :D

Sujoy, That's a huge investment. Even though I know your gears, I never thought of what it would have cost this much to you...

Pranav/Anirban, Hope you guys will be fine the lens soon.

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac but I was actually saying that I have all the cheap lenses and invested far less then others ....just think how much people spend for nice gears ..

Total Expenditure - 80k including DSLR+5 lens+2 bag+tripod+flash+trigger

Top Bottom