The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
@subretabera....really ur shots r amazing...did u took that bugs shot with a point and shoot

Potrait of my Doggy:grin:
*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/THE60tSXmEI/AAAAAAAAFcI/Jsi1JnkNVHw/s400/DSC04603.JPG

*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/THE1EFYXfeI/AAAAAAAAFbo/ZM7ORnVaCfc/s800/DSC04595.JPG

*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TGZjKIieBYI/AAAAAAAAFas/r-TQc6VG6H0/s800/DSC04562.JPG

jagg89

RoCk N' RoLL
@Toofan and Sujoyp I totally agree nthing beats DSLR's in Quality...:smile:

But i will not be going dat deep into photography.. so dat's y m sticking wid a decent P&S which hav little uplifted features than a normal P&S like manual controls n a nice zoom etc...

so tell me is Canon SX20 IS good? or give me some other options in range of 15-20k...

n thnx guys for helping me make up my mind :smile:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
subretabera.: excellent vibrant shots. I love your photography skills.

Thanks toofan :) ... I'm just learning ...

@subretabera....really ur shots r amazing...did u took that bugs shot with a point and shoot

Thanks mate ... All the pics have been taken with my new Lumix TZ10 P&S cam :) ... this cam is really amazing , specially if you want to learn manual photography ... It has a "Macro Zoom" feature. With this feature you can focus on a subject which is just 3 cm apart and then zoom 3 times further !! This degrades pixel count but gives real closeups ... The bug was not more than 1.5 cm long. I've submitted this pic in this week's DPS challenge too !

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Toofan and Sujoyp I totally agree nthing beats DSLR's in Quality...:smile:

But i will not be going dat deep into photography.. so dat's y m sticking wid a decent P&S which hav little uplifted features than a normal P&S like manual controls n a nice zoom etc...

so tell me is Canon SX20 IS good? or give me some other options in range of 15-20k...

n thnx guys for helping me make up my mind :smile:

Canon SX20 IS won't come within your budget of Rs.15-20K. You will need some Rs.3-4K more.

Nice shots by all especially subratabera. Your doggie is cute sujoyp.

toofan

Technomancer
Gangsta: canon sx 20 IS is very good cam and panasonic FZ35 is also super. But if you want something to fit in pocket then the subretabera's model is perfect for that purpose If i am right.

check dpreview.com they had done a superzoom group test and some similar group tests which will help you a lot.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
YouTube - Canon EOS 550D HD 1080p RAW Footage - Part 2

One more unedited video footage from Canon 550D. Using EF 50mm 1.4 USM lens. ISO set to 1600 & White Balance to Shade.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Gangsta: canon sx 20 IS is very good cam and panasonic FZ35 is also super. But if you want something to fit in pocket then the subretabera's model is perfect for that purpose If i am right.

Yep ... This phone is having almost everything in a very compact body but a little expensive for a P&S.

jagg89

RoCk N' RoLL
@Cool G5 yea sx20 will cost 23-24k but m getting it @ 20k from 1 place...

@Toofan i will not carry it in my pocket so dats not a problem.. :smile:

ok now finally i've come down to dez 2 cams.. Canon SX20 Is OR Panasonic FZ35..
n m damn confused now coz both r almost head2head in features n their pros n cons..
i've read the reviews of both cams..

here is the comparision i read...

Canon PowerShot SX20 IS review: Verdict: SX20 IS vs FZ38 / FZ35 vs SX1 IS vs HX1 | Cameralabs

which 1 will u suggest?

icebags

Technomancer
@Cool G5 yea sx20 will cost 23-24k but m getting it @ 20k from 1 place...

n m damn confused now coz both r almost head2head in features n their pros n cons..

here is the comparision i read...

Canon PowerShot SX20 IS review: Verdict: SX20 IS vs FZ38 / FZ35 vs SX1 IS vs HX1 | Cameralabs

which 1 will u suggest?

FZ35 is better: has better colour reproduction, sharpness, more depth of field and probably faster AF. Also very light and cheaper.

The leica lens clearly has advantage. :)

toofan

Technomancer

which 1 will u suggest?

I had used both of them and both are easy going.
But canon feels a little more comfortable to use as I had a canon one earlier.
But the biggest disadvantage is it used 4 AA type battreis and believe me this is a pain in ......
1. you will need two sets of batteries. One used and one for backup.
2. These discharge automatically after 7 to 14 days if not used.
3. takes around 24 to 26 hours of charging which is the biggest drawback. Even if you use costly fast chargers then still 11 to 15 hours. And two sets mean full two days.
4. Weights more. another set will add more.

So I will advice to buy FZ35 as you can add some accessories to it also. It has threads in front to add converters, filters etc etc.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I had used both of them and both are easy going.
But canon feels a little more comfortable to use as I had a canon one earlier.
But the biggest disadvantage is it used 4 AA type battreis and believe me this is a pain in ......
1. you will need two sets of batteries. One used and one for backup.
2. These discharge automatically after 7 to 14 days if not used.
3. takes around 24 to 26 hours of charging which is the biggest drawback. Even if you use costly fast chargers then still 11 to 15 hours. And two sets mean full two days.
4. Weights more. another set will add more.

So I will advice to buy FZ35 as you can add some accessories to it also. It has threads in front to add converters, filters etc etc.

2 > That's not completely true. The new Eneloop batteries or any reputed brand batteries discharge only about 25% if kept unused for 3 years.

3 > Even the most basic charger today charges in about 7 hours. I mean I plug my 4 alkalines in sony charger and in about seven hours they are fully charged. Fast charger can do the same task in about three hours. They cost a bit but they are worth it. Also its just a one time investment.

4 > Can be ignored.

I'll say get the Canon SX 20 IS.

toofan

Technomancer
I had uniross 2700 mh which gets discharge in just 3 to 4 days.
Uniross 2500mhA discharged in 10 days.
New kodak 2100 discharged in around 3 weaks.

And the charging time I noted form the Uniros manual and kodak manual.

But leave it anyway.
lithium batteries charges in 1 to 2 hour and don't get discharged even in 1 month while in full use. This is my Nikon D90 battery.

So handle them, use them which feels comfortable and easier to use buy that. Canon wala is easily available anywhere.

robin234

Right off the assembly line
Since Panasonic shoots raw+ Jpeg and Canon only shoots jpeg only .I will take FZ35 anyday over SX20 + buy 2 extra batteries for longer trip .Sooner or later person who buy camera hooks upto post processing (even he or she denies initially ) and this is where raw shines + its better to shoot raw at higher iso .Even though,I don't think I will ever go beyond iso200(last will be iso400) for a point and shoot .

in between IMO one should wait for panasonic FZ40 .

One thing one has mnetioned here is with SX20,one can shoot and record videos simultaneously

rest is upto the buyer .

toofan

Technomancer
*a.imageshack.us/img90/4302/dsc0106prac1.jpg

I had posted this image before but this time with a digital painting effect.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Since Panasonic shoots raw+ Jpeg and Canon only shoots jpeg only .I will take FZ35 anyday over SX20 + buy 2 extra batteries for longer trip .Sooner or later person who buy camera hooks upto post processing (even he or she denies initially ) and this is where raw shines + its better to shoot raw at higher iso .Even though,I don't think I will ever go beyond iso200(last will be iso400) for a point and shoot .

in between IMO one should wait for panasonic FZ40 .

One thing one has mnetioned here is with SX20,one can shoot and record videos simultaneously

rest is upto the buyer .

CHDK enables RAW & more functions in Canon. So one can shoot RAW + JPEG even with Canon SX 20 IS.

@toofan - Good job, but I don't like such digitally made images. The original looks so beautiful.

Stuge

Youngling
cool :now you're acting like a canon fanboi :| .

CHDK is good and I have used it a lot with my canon pns ,but its too cumbersome to use it everytime.

-and if I remeber correctly CHDK needs to be activated everytime cam is switched off .for the same reason CHDK is nice alternative,but not a good permanent solution !.

anyway ,coming back: I will really recommend to wait for FZ40 as it can click pictures at 25mm + have more zoom .

Last edited:

toofan

Technomancer
stuge: price bhi to jyada hogi yaar. Although the 25mm feature will be very very effective. Kab tak release ho raha hai.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Hey guys... i was gifted this photo printer today

SELPHY CP780 - Compact Photo Printers - Canon India

Thing is, I dont think I will be using it ever. Any idea where I should post this for selling? I am planning on JJmehta.... i have never tried ebay and not sure how it works for a seller. Might post it in Buy sell section too of TDF ( i hope they still have it!).

Top Bottom