The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

superczar

-n00b-
Preshit, How did you manage to find an awesome deal like that
The best I have been able to find so far is $100 coupon for 55

Artemis

The Last Puff
I'm planning to buy a macbook and i need to know r there Counter Strik CO, and Warcraft Frozen throne available on MAC, dont need any emulator type thing for it to run, i want native support, reaaly want to buy a MAc and this are the two main games i play mostly..if yes where can i get them?
and heard there are heavy student discounts for mac?? how much??

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@Artemis
Warcraft Frozen Throne for Mac is available, you don't need Bootcamp for this. I have no idea if Counter Strike is available.

goobimama

 Macboy
Counter Strike: Native support on a Mac? Yes. Native support on Mac OS X? No, you need to do it via bootcamp.

Frozen throne, well, while it is not native support on an Intel Mac (blizzard didn't make a UB version of Warcraft), the graphics are crappy enough to run smoothly on Mac OS X.

yash

I draw every day
right said Mr. Bond. Wait till january!

and oh, I am still looking for 3 more people who want to buy a mobile me family pack at super cheap rate.

in other news, I am waiting for a review of the apple in-ear buds. too bad for the iphone people that they only *fully* work with new ipods. The volume buttons don't work on the iphone as noted by many testers.

Last edited:

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
my friend have 5 MACs and 2 Windows PC. how can a mac access a windows share and also work with permission set with the shared folder and also map a windows shared drive. Actually i just want to make a network drive in windows PC so all can save their work in that shared drive and can access them on an MAC or PC and also that no one else can view their files unless the owner adds some read permission for the other user.

just for some info : They are not in a domain, they are individual MAC and PCs. so is there any solution for this. they all are connected together with the help of a switch just used to share a internet connection.
i have a budget for a NAS server if required
atleast tell me that how to map a network folder as a drive in MAC PC with OS 10.4

thank you

Last edited:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Wikipedia said:
Replacing the hard drive and memory requires merely the removal of the battery, and Apple provides do-it-yourself manuals for these tasks.
Link
What Does that mean? Can we upgrade the RAM and HDD without violating warranty? :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, After spending some time with my iPod Touch; I'm thinking of buying the MacBook Base Model as my first Notebook. (Impressed by Apple.. I hate the pricing though, did someone say that before? :D )

Is it a good time to go for the MacBook, taking the following things in mind?
1. The Dollar is still pretty strong. So Prices will be high for the time being.
2. Heard rumours about Snow Leopard coming soon. If I buy a Mac right now, I wont get a free upgrade to Snow Leopard, as long as Steve Jobs is the CEO!
3. Will the base model be available even after Snow Leopard comes out?

ANy help here Guys?

goobimama

 Macboy
1. Well, who knows whats going to happen to the dollar rate.
2. Snow Leopard won't be free.
3. Hard to say. I think it should be there for at least another year though.

Btw, Goa Apple store has the base model for 46k or so I think. Combo drive 2.1Ghz version.

IronManForever

@ Goobimama

Thanks...
There's something more I gotta ask. About that Ram upgrade part, see my prev post... :neutral:
so if I can wait for Snow Leopard; I should. Right?
Yeah yeah, with tech-stuff waiting doesn't make much difference... even then this aint the perfect time for buying the Mac...isn't it? yes, I can wait 2 months max.

One more thing. Can the base model utilise 4Gb Ram?.. Leopard is 64-bit, right?

Pat

Beyond Smart
@ Goobimama

Thanks...
There's something more I gotta ask. About that Ram upgrade part, see my prev post.

You can upgrade RAM and Hard-disk on your Macbook without affecting warranty, but if you damage other things while trying to upgrade them on your own, Apple wont fix it for free.

Last edited:

IronManForever

^^ oh wow. interesting that too with apple.. :D

1. How good is leopard with 1Gb ram? on default macbook?

2. do macbook base model and the leopard os, both support 4gb?.. unlike vista 32bit which can't address more than 3.2gb?

With 1GB it'll do very fine.Much more than what you'd be expecting from it.Just go for it!4GB?Are you serious?Mac OS X won't make much use of that much memory.Just extend it to 2 GB and you're done.In fact,even that's not needed.1GB is fine enough.
Just in case you're buying additional RAM,don't ever buy from Apple.They overcharge like hell!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^ oh wow. interesting that too with apple.. :D

1. How good is leopard with 1Gb ram? on default macbook?

2. do macbook base model and the leopard os, both support 4gb?.. unlike vista 32bit which can't address more than 3.2gb?
1) Works fine.

2) Yes, the previous generation was based on Intel 965 chipset and newer one is based on nVidia 9400. Both models support 4GB and Leopard being 64bit UNIX-based OS can fully utilize 4GB memory.

IronManForever

@Sunny..
oh, thanks... yeah, since Ram can be upgraded w/o affecting warranty, I'll go for any aftermarket one..
and no, I won't take it to 4gb even if it is supported on leopard, just wanted to know. :) my work won't need that much memory, and any professional work will require a better cpu / gpu..

@infra_red_dude..
thanks.. was informative.

Im just confused wether to buy the base model or the basic-new-model. budget not a big concern, but I aint sure about what i'll use it for mostly.. :neutral:

Top Bottom