The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Macbook Base Model: Basic system, poor gaming, ComboDrive without DVD writing, just basic internet and email style
Cheap
MacBook Alu: Bigger HDD, OK for gaming and clip editing, can do Parallels well and looks a bit uglier IMO but better Alu quality
A bit more expensive

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^^ Thanks.

Guys, what will be the prominent changes in Snow Leopard? Will it be worth waiting?
I don't wanna get an old os, and then go through the hassle of buying an upgrade; especially in the time of transition..
this might not be the Steve-Jobs way of things, but I wanna take care with my first notebook /Macbook purchase..

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh, and 4GB is very helpful. I would certainly have upgraded to 4GB if my Mac supported it. RAM is cheap and the performance boost is always welcome.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Macbook Base Model: Basic system, poor gaming, ComboDrive without DVD writing, just basic internet and email style
Cheap
MacBook Alu: Bigger HDD, OK for gaming and clip editing, can do Parallels well and looks a bit uglier IMO but better Alu quality
A bit more expensive

If you ask me, 2 GB is a must for any macbook. Also I have been running VMWare Fusion on my base model Macbook with no issues or lags at all. So that should not be a problem. Also the price difference between the base model and the new Alu Macbook is huge. If you are not into Gaming, the base model would be fine.

Snow Leopard is going to be an optimized version of Leopard. (they are moving the code-base to complete 64-bit ) There are no major consumer-level features expected in Snow-Leopard.

IronManForever

goobimama said:
Oh, and 4GB is very helpful. I would certainly have upgraded to 4GB if my Mac supported it. RAM is cheap and the performance boost is always welcome.
You own the 1st Gen Intel iMac, right?

Pat said:
If you ask me, 2 GB is a must for any macbook. Also I have been running VMWare Fusion on my base model Macbook with no issues or lags at all. So that should not be a problem.
How much does VMWare Fusion cost? What did you install in the VM, XP or Vista?

Pat said:
Snow Leopard is going to be an optimized version of Leopard. (they are moving the code-base to complete 64-bit ) There are no major consumer-level features expected in Snow-Leopard.
Someone just said that MAC OSX is full 64-bit? :confused:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Guys, this is my current situation. The Macbook (White) Base Model I wanna buy.

Processor and memory
- 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
- 800MHz frontside bus
- 1GB (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Graphics and video support
- Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
- Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
- Built-in iSight camera
- Mini-DVI port

Storage
- 120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive; optional 160GB or 250GB 5400-rpm drive
- 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Display
- 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy widescreen TFT display with support for millions of colors

Connections
- MagSafe power port
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- Mini-DVI port
- FireWire 400 port (up to 400 Mbps)
- Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- Audio line in
- Audio line out
- Kensington cable lock slot

Communication
- Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
- Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Audio
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in omnidirectional microphone
- Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
- Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)

Software
- Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
- iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

999$ taxes, etc exclusive in Apple's website. It maybe around 1050 with tax n stuff.

I am from Nepal. Here, 1 USD = 80.8 Rs (Yes, nepalese currency is also called rupee). So, 1050 $ becomes around Rs 85,000.
Here, I am being quoted a price of Rs 95,000. (The New Macbook 2.0Ghz is Rs 137,000.. :0 )
I still have to ask whether it is exclusive/inclusive of tax. :neutral: Even if its inclusive of tax; its still expensive, isnt it?

Also.. Apple gives international warranty on the Macbooks, isnt it? So if I get a MacBook for cheap from India, I should be able to avail warranty by going to any distributor in Nepal, isnt it? :confused:

Please help guys..

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
How much does VMWare Fusion cost? What did you install in the VM, XP or Vista?
The most basic version (without support) of VMWare Fusion costs around $80. I had to install Crapsoft-XP for my unavoidable V.B development work.

Someone just said that MAC OSX is full 64-bit? :confused:
OS X Leopard is not fully 64-bit.

I am from Nepal. Here, 1 USD = 80.8 Rs (Yes, nepalese currency is also called rupee). So, 1050 $ becomes around Rs 85,000.
Here, I am being quoted a price of Rs 95,000. (The New Macbook 2.0Ghz is Rs 137,000.. :0 )
I still have to ask whether it is exclusive/inclusive of tax. :neutral: Even if its inclusive of tax; its still expensive, isnt it?

It is. As long as you are getting it for an equivalent of 45-50k INR, it should be ok.

Also.. Apple gives international warranty on the Macbooks, isnt it? So if I get a MacBook for cheap from India, I should be able to avail warranty by going to any distributor in Nepal, isnt it? :confused:
Please help guys..
Yes.

Going to hand over my iMac to the Apple Store guys to get the LCD fixed up. It's showing up some dark spots on the screen. Till when am I supposed to get it back?

din

Tribal Boy
Please ignore if you already know ..

There is a free / nice alternative to VMWare

Sun - VirtualBox - Free and opensource - Supports the Solaris OS, OpenSolaris, Windows, ,Macintosh OS X and Linux

Link and details

IronManForever

Pat said:
It is. As long as you are getting it for an equivalent of 45-50k INR, it should be ok.
Thats the problem. The price will come close to 59K Indian Rupees (not-bargained yet).. !! Thats fckuin expensive... :( :mad:

1. The base model available here has Superdrive and Draft-N WiFi. I think the one you bought didnt have those two things. You got the base model of the older line-up? Because there aint any Combo-Drive Model available now.

2. Where in India will be closest to Nepal and easiest to get a Macbook for me? Are there Apple stores in Bihar? UP? Where in Bihar or UP? Is it recommended to get from those states? How about Calcutta? Patna will be nearest for me though. :neutral:

3. Whats the currect Indian Rupee - USD exchange rate? Wanted to know how much 999$ would be in IRs.

I know I am asking too much. But I am really confused thats why.. Please try to help guys...

Pat

Beyond Smart
Thats the problem. The price will come close to 59K Indian Rupees (not-bargained yet).. !! Thats fckuin expensive... :( :mad:

1. The base model available here has Superdrive and Draft-N WiFi. I think the one you bought didnt have those two things. You got the base model of the older line-up? Because there aint any Combo-Drive Model available now.

Yes, I got one with a combo-drive. Check few more stores in your city and see if someone still has one-odd piece in stock. The Superdrive one was available for around 54k when I bought mine IIRC.

2. Where in India will be closest to Nepal and easiest to get a Macbook for me? Are there Apple stores in Bihar? UP? Where in Bihar or UP? Is it recommended to get from those states? How about Calcutta? Patna will be nearest for me though. :neutral:

Check apple-india's website. That will give you a rough idea of retailers/distributors in those regions.

3. Whats the currect Indian Rupee - USD exchange rate? Wanted to know how much 999$ would be in IRs.

49.something

IronManForever

Yes, I got one with a combo-drive. Check few more stores in your city and see if someone still has one-odd piece in stock. The Superdrive one was available for around 54k when I bought mine IIRC.
Well, as its gonna be my primary computer after I buy it, I'll need a Superdrive. 54k? Damn! Its almost 5k expensive here.

Pat said:
Check apple-india's website. That will give you a rough idea of retailers/distributors in those regions.
Doing that. Thanks.
-------------------------------------------
If I am correct, International warranty aint available unless you buy the AppleCare stuff for 249$. :neutral: And w/o Int'l warranty, it makes little sense buying from India.

din

Tribal Boy
Why not the basic one plus external DVD writer ? I mean you can save at least 5K.

Also, check the price in as many shops as possible, it may differ significantly.

IronManForever

din said:
Why not the basic one plus external DVD writer ? I mean you can save at least 5K.

Also, check the price in as many shops as possible, it may differ significantly.
Thanks. But there are some problems.

- Only two Apple Distributors in Nepal with their Resellers all over the country. And they dont have the older model. (The basic one which you are talking about isnt the basic anymore.. it's the older model. The current basic has DVD Writer and Wifi N)

Because there aren't any Apple Stores and all buying/selling is through Authorised Distributors, there's a bit monopoly is pricing.

- Carrying an extra piece of hardware is a trouble for me. And an aftermarket one wont go well with the Apple Aesthetics. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I have got a lot help from the thread. But I still wanna know few minor things.

1. Will the Base MacBook with 2.1Ghz Core2Duo, Intel GMA X3100 and 1/2/4 GB RAM be able to decode 1080p DivX, XviD, Matroska, VC-1 ?

2. What more use will my iPod Touch 2G get after I buy the MacBook? I haven't done anything in it except listening to music, watching pictures, playing 1-2 games...

goobimama

 Macboy
1. Yes.
2. The whole experience is better. Seems like I'm saying it, but you will suddenly have 'more use' for your iPod Touch.

yash

I draw every day
@IronmanForever 1. decoding you mean on the fly? playback? my best bet would be that the 1080p playback would be sub-par on quicktime or VLC. Try plex tho. Plex successfully plays back every video I own. some that even vlc or quicktime sometimes have trouble playing.

2. If you already are installing games on it and can transfer pictures and music.. I can't see what else you could do...

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Thanks. I dint know about Plex. Will give it a shot tonight.

Guys, which is the best software to convert DVDs (or vob files) to mp4 (iPhone format) ?

IronManForever

goobimama said:
1. Yes.
2. The whole experience is better. Seems like I'm saying it, but you will suddenly have 'more use' for your iPod Touch.
Hope so.. BTW the green apple looked better. :)

yash said:
1. decoding you mean on the fly? playback? my best bet would be that the 1080p playback would be sub-par on quicktime or VLC. Try plex tho. Plex successfully plays back every video I own. some that even vlc or quicktime sometimes have trouble playing.
Yeah, Playback. Your and Goobimama's opinion differ though. :confused: What kinda Hardware decoding does GMA X3100 come with? Also, Plex cannot use Hardware decoding IMO.

And during this time I have found out that there could be immense use for the iPod after I buy the Mac. I can connect the mac to a TV and 5.1 speakers and use the iPod as a remote.. A full-fledged HTPC.

The multi-touch screen maybe usable as a trackpad, simulating the multi-touch effects of the New mac on the older macs. There isnt much time before such software becomes available. :)
There might be similar uses. Afterall it has WiFi.

BTW yash, which mac do you own?

Pat said:
Guys, which is the best software to convert DVDs (or vob files) to mp4 (iPhone format) ?
I wanna know that too. Please.

Top Bottom