The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
I'm just gonna try it and see. Tomato Torrent is based on BT engine (which is powered by uTorrent).

Qwerty is an OSS user. Deluge/Azureus runs on *nix and OS X naa...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
No, did you forget Azureus?
No, I did not. But JAVA applications will never ever be installed on my Mac again. They're all dead to me, no matter how many features they have.

drgrudge said:
No it does not. It was annoying in the beginning, then I changed the system preferences for sleep.
Look at this screenshot:
*img68.imageshack.us/img68/2982/transmissionpreferencesig2.png
There's the option you want, right there at the bottom.

drgrudge said:
1. Xtorrent
You did not like Transmission, you're definitely not gonna like Xtorrent.

drgrudge said:
2. Tomato Torrent (mail2and once said this is the best software on his Mac Mini)
Sucks!

drgrudge said:
3. Deluge
The home page has the dreaded phrase "cross-platform". Might work for you but I'm definitely not gonna try this one.

You guys gotta watch this really clever dual banner advertisement posted by Apple on the web. Watch this YouTube video.

Don't miss it. It is definitely the best one yet. :D

Last edited:

drgrudge

aryayush -
The bottom option in the Transmission is not working for me. That's what I indirectly hinted when I said: "When the system sleeps, Transmission also sleeps. But check the preferences settings. "

drgrudge

Time for some Apple news:

1. Apple's Black Friday Promo: Ready. Set. Shop.
*www.macrumors.com/2007/11/20/apples-black-friday-promo-ready-set-shop/

Can we get an iPhone for less than $350?

2. The reason there's a "Cult of Mac" - "My PowerBook Has a Dead Pixel. It'll Be a Few Days, Here's a Macbook Pro."
*bc.tech.coop/blog/071118.html

3. The Gizmodo Ultimate Black Friday Deal Guide
*gizmodo.com/gadgets/black-friday-plan/the-gizmodo-ultimate-black-friday-deal-guide-324697.php

Some nice deals there, only thing is short notice! I might buy the iPhone, if the price is around $300-$325. :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Lucky you! Completely useless for us... :(

I read the dead pixel story. Those are so common, it really didn't seem worth it to me to post it here. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@Milind
How do you configure two Macs (MacBooks, to be specific) running Tiger for file sharing through a LAN cable? In Leopard, all you have to do is plug it in and it appears in the sidebar. How to go about it in Tiger?

praka123

left this forum longback
drgrudge said:
By the way, I ditched Transmission for now. I'm using Azureus. The UI is the ugliest I've seen in my Mac but not resource hungry. What's the point of having a high end system? My Firefox used around 3% of CPU and Azureus used around 6% CPU. I've no issues with that. Also Vezu thing sucks, we should use 2.5.0.4 and not 3.0.5.4.

Azureus rocks! In terms of features (which I need and use) it's even better than utorrent! :cool:

But I'm going to try the following torrents in the coming days before I install Leopard:
1. Xtorrent
2. Tomato Torrent (mail2and once said this is the best software on his Mac Mini)
3. Deluge
4. Any other? I'll test and see what's going to be good for my usage. :)
BTW,I am using Azureus 3.0.3.4 and u can customize to the old azureus 2.x look.also,when installing download plugins u needs.
Use Azureus UI chooser and select classic to get the old looks. :)
I have also used deluge.it gives good speeds.but transmission(also for Linux) sucks although it is a small client.

drgrudge

praka123 said:
BTW,I am using Azureus 3.0.3.4 and u can customize to the old azureus 2.x look.also,when installing download plugins u needs.
Use Azureus UI chooser and select classic to get the old looks. :)
I have also used deluge.it gives good speeds.but transmission(also for Linux) sucks although it is a small client.
How is Azureus 3.X better than 2.X version other than that Vezu bloat thing? Also if I use the new version, then how's the system resource going to be?

What's the config of your rig, Prakash?

BitTornado & Deluge is cross OS platform clients, but I have no clue as how to get it running in my machine. :| Look here: *deluge-torrent.org/downloads Where is OS X mentioned?

By the way, did anyone see the $730 20" iMac sale Ad? :D

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.i cannot spot any big changes except the prompt for downloading and installing plugins during install.i too hate that vuze thingy.ui customization allows old look.for changes,u shud look the changelog for azureus :))(believe me,lot of changes and fixes!) yes,u can press help button for release notes in azureus :-|
changelog said:
AZUREUS CHANGELOG
-----------------

2007.10.04 | Azureus 3.0.3.4

FEATURE: UI | Added "All Peers" view [amc1]

CHANGE: Core | Added workarounds for some buggy UPnP router implementations [parg]
CHANGE: UI | NAT status bar indicator and health icons now ignore UDP and LAN-local connections [The 8472]

BUGFIX: Core | Fixed bug where a torrent's save location is "forgotten" when a recheck is done in some circumstances [amc1]

2007.09.21 | Azureus 3.0.3.2

BUGFIX: Core | Fixed MacOSX playback bug [TuxPaper]
BUGFIX: Core | Fixed update restart bug [Parg]
^^^ so some os x version azureus bugs are fixed.u shud try latest azureus.u wont loss ur torrents.torrents are saved in ~/.azureus folder in UNIX like platforms.

am on a 3.5 yr old rig(uses Linux full time illya,so no probs!) with gigabyte 915GV board,xfx 7300 GT dual dvi gfx card,samsung octoedge dvdwriter and p4 2.8ghz prescott procee.

deluge install in os x is afaik explained in their forums.will post it if i found the link.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
im using azureus on os x and its pretty decent .... it gives me constant 15kbps as compared to utorrent on windows which fluctuates a lot

praka123

left this forum longback
@grudge:it seems deluge should be installed from source in OS X :(
do u use macports?then:
*forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=401

see,i am blind on os x details as i dont use it and never care to install it on my pc like some others :rolleyes: so my replies are guess works reg mac os X :D

drgrudge

If I use the 3.x version, can I switch off vuze and the system resource is same as that of 2.x versions?

Just switched to OS X, I can't use Deluge/BitTornado if it's going to a round about install and usage.

praka123

left this forum longback
vuze is nowhere to be seen in my azureus 3 after i switched to 2.x ui.BTW,vuze is just some html pages loading.nothing to do with resources afaik.

drgrudge

^^
Vuze is a bloatware, BW hogger and resource sucker. CPU usage is more, AFAIK. OK lemme try and see...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
o trust me that vuze thing so full of crap i start a torrent the bloody thing shows bikin clad women in the screen on the right :x

goobimama

 Macboy
@aayush: Same thing. Just plug the cables in. Only thing is you have to go into the "Network" tab in finder and connect to it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@iMav .. you can disable that loading vuze and just load the classis interface.. just check in the settings.

Top Bottom