The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
It is not pausing. It's solid only, but I'm not able to wake it up normally.

I guess the problem lies with Azureus. If the PC is doing nothing (other than the transfer), then Azureus is not downloading and after some time the PC sleeps.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
iv left azureus over night a lot of times .... try disabling the sleep settings of ur mac

praka123

left this forum longback
check whether the internet connxn is up or not!if lancard is also down,how can adsl connxn/pppoe works!.I dont think azureus is the culprit!

drgrudge

Azurues is the culprit. Even now I've restarted the Mac. Sleep is disabled and I've checked the setting of Azureus as well.

But this time I found out that the sleep indicator though blinking solid, the intnesity was low. When I closed the lid, then the light was even brighter.

Going to see for one more time and still if this continues, then I'm ditching Azureus or use some trick...

After searching, found this: *www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73790

I also have a
1. USB Mouse connected
2. MagSafe connected (but with power or without it)
3. Ethernet cord connected

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Solid white light indicates that the display is off but the machine is not in sleep mode. At least that's the case on my mac. When it's sleep, the white light pulses...

drgrudge

^^
I searched in Apple Discussion forums and found this:
*discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1233141&tstart=0

"Surprise, surprise. The issue is apparently the logic board. It seems this is an extremely common problem on Apple Laptops.

To everyone having similar issues, take it to a service shop, cause the problem is likely something similar."

I spoke to the Apple Service guys today and going to take the MBP to them tomorrow.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
so in other words using azureus just showed u that there is a problem in ur macbook so i guess in a thankful gesture to it u should shift azuresu only :D

drgrudge

^^
That's what I'm taking positively out of this. I'm using to run both Transmission and Azureus today and tomorrow I'll close Transmission and go to Apple Service with the issue.

Guys, by the way, when is display is at sleep, how does the sleep indicator slow? It's solid for me.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hey this might helpful to some1 -

For Black Friday (also known as the day after Thanksgiving), Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit will offer a one-day special on Office 2008.

"Basically, you buy any version of Office 2004 and you get a $100 rebate," said Chris Swenson, director of software industry analysis at NPD Group. "For $6.99, when Office 2008 is released, Microsoft will send you Office 2008 Special Media Edition."

Microsoft already offers the Special Media Edition upgrade. The $100 rebate is new and available only for the one day.

What makes the deal sweet and cheap is its applicability to Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition. According to NPD, the Office student version accounts for most copies of the productivity suite sold at retail. However, there is no upgrade option to other Office versions. For 2008, the Student version's Entourage—the Mac equivalent to Outlook—will not support Exchange Server. The offer creates a cheap upgrade path for Mac users looking at getting Office now and don't want to spend big bucks.

"For $55.99 plus tax after rebates, someone who buys Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition can get a product valued at almost $500—Office 2008 Special Media Edition is $499.95 full retail version and $299.95 for the upgrade version," Swenson said. "And apparently, if the customer still wants Home and Student Edition, Microsoft will send them both H&S as well as a separate box containing Expression Media."

"I'm going to be doing my rounds this Black Friday at the various retailers, and I expect Office to be flying off the shelves as a result of this special promotion—assuming Microsoft gets the word out," Swenson said.

Source

drgrudge

^^
You're advertising MS Office suite in an Apple thread? :p
Tomorrow, we got Apple sale as well, and I saw an 20" iMac for $730 ad only tomorrow! A top end iMac for Rs 29,000!

Reg my problem:
As I said I ran Transmission along with Azureus yesterday night and nothing happened. Today b4 an hour or so, I took of the Transmission (but iTunes was running, closed but in dock) and nothing happened.

I planned to take the MBP with the issue, but I'm tired to waiting for something to happen. Also I don't want to waste time going to Apple service centre and they might not give me the lappy today/immediately. It's mandatory that I net a net access till Sunday. So going to go there on Monday only. Till then, I'm running Transmission with Azureus.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
Guys, by the way, when is display is at sleep, how does the sleep indicator slow? It's solid for me.
Yeah, it's like Milind said:

Dim solid light - Display sleeping, notebook working
Pulsing light - Notebook asleep
Strong solid light - It's trying to go to sleep, should be asleep within a moment or two (if it is stuck in this state, you have a problem).

drgrudge

^^
As far as I've noticed,
Strong solid light - Display Sleep, this is fine...
Dim solid light - struck with this sometime, when I close the lid, then the light is strong. I definitely got an issue. Let's see what happens.

goobimama

 Macboy
So I connected my two macs using Airport wireless. Then while transferring files from the iBook to the iMac, I realised it's going to take a little two long, especially when I had an ethernet cable in. So I plugged in the cable on both macs, when I noticed that the "Time Remaining" indicator on the transfer window just cut down to ethernet speeds! On the fly changing from airport to ethernet. Niiiice.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, that is just freaking cool! While I was reading your post (OK, not me, but Alex), I was thinking that you couldn't possibly be getting at what you did. This just sounds unbelievable to me.

Why, oh why, do Macs have such a low market share! It is so much better than Windows, it is not even funny.

goobimama

 Macboy
I think I remember, with Windows, if I've connected using a wireless network, I have to actually turn of the wifi for it to transfer through ethernet....

-------------------

Anyone tried Bento here? It's pretty neat. Everything's in one application and it's a really nice interface with some core animation here and there. It crashes too often though but I feel it's going to be an application I'm going to use a lot...

Filemaker Bento

Last edited:

drgrudge

How to get the Indian flag on my menu bar? I've seen flags on the menu, but I tried many times without luck.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It is not possible. You've mostly seen the American flag only. It allows you to choose the language you will use to type on your Mac. Devanagiri has a different symbol, not the Indian flag. In any case, you'd have to select it for it to be visible in the menu bar and doing that would mean that you'd have to type in Hindi.

So, basically, it is not possible.

drgrudge

^^
Ok, bit I *think* I've seen Indian Flag on the Menubar.

Seen this:
*lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/menu-bar-show-and-tell-306871.php

It's time that I start to pimp my Mac. :twisted:

Top Bottom