The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

superczar

-n00b-
Re: Here’s a Mac FAQ if You’re Looking to Buy a Computer

@goobimama,
Use CrossOver, dude. I'm assuming you already use it for µTorrent
or switch over to the new version of transmission
Supports selective file downloads and DHT works too...
Nearly as light on a mac as utorrent on windows

Good riddance from that resource hungry beast Azureus finally

goobimama

 Macboy
Cog was the first thing I had researched when I was going to buy the mac. I didn't like iTunes for Windows and thought that I'd need a different audio player. Never really got down to installing it. I'm not sure about resource hungry (with 2GB RAM, things don't seem so resource hungry) but I love my coverflow iTunes...

*cogx.org/images/screenshot006.png
Much neater than Winamp I must say. And with the unified treatment it will get in Leopard, it should look even better....

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

superczar -
Transmission sucks man. Supports selective file downloads but you need to choose them after you start the torrent (a very small thing, but still...). Goobi uses Transmission, but I won't recommend to anyone.

Try out Azureus 2.5.04.

goobimama

 Macboy

Btw, Dr. Do try Xtorrent. I tell you, if only that app was 'made' free. Features like automatically adding downloaded music to iTunes and such just get me all worked up...

drgrudge

^^
You know I got some super big data transfers in progress. Once I'm done with it, then I'm gonna try other clients one by one.

I downloaded Azureus, but that 3.xx version sucks, so leeched the 2.5.0.4, will have to see how that goes about.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

superczar said:
or switch over to the new version of transmission
Oh, it's the best. No doubt. Drag the download link and it starts the download. Extremely light weight. Good interface. No mess. :)

We have to use µTorrent for some other purposes...

drgrudge said:
Goobi uses Transmission, but I won't recommend to anyone.
I use it too. Around seventy-three percent of Mac OS X users who use the BitTorrent network use Transmission. It's the best, dude.

And don't get me started on Azureus. JAVA. Extremely clunky and slow interface. Bleagh!

BTW, this sort of discussion should be carried on in the thread. :)

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

I love it when you drag a torrent into the transmission window and it shows you how many files are there and size before you release the mouse button.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, I love that too. Really neat.

goobimama said:
if budget permits.
You have budgets? You have budgets! :p

goobimama said:
Btw, did you try out the iChat Matte thing that was posted on TUAW? Those Aqua bubbles look so out of place now with the flat iTunesy toolbar et al.
Looked pretty ugly to me in the screenshots, so I did not try it out. I like the candy-like bubbles.

goobimama said:
Btw, that it'sy thing. I always get confused. I understand now but I don't think I'll carry it through for more than the next five minutes. Be prepared to correct me again.
Oh c'mon. You don't even need to make an effort. This is very easy to catch on.

yash said:
hehe, funny you'd bring up tablet pcs... remember we tried out whether pressure sensitivity worked in remote desktop?
Yes, I do but I don't really know what it has to do with this conversation... :confused:

drgrudge

Moved the torrent clients discussion from that thread to here. :D

11 Reasons why Transmission sucks (IMO):
1. Slow speeds. Seriously I got less than 13 KBps for a day with 3 well seeded torrents from a Private Tracker! When I restarted it, then it was back to normal.
Besides that, the average speed that I'm getting is only 26 KBPs whereas I used to get 30-31 in utorrent.

2. Where is the "Flush to HDD after...." option? When I had to force shut my Mac, all the data downloaded were gone! That was a 6 GB+ torrent.

3. It's downloading a lot of junk data. Packets being downloaded even if it already has it. I know this has to do with the number of seeders and the size of the file, but still the amount it downloads is above average.

4. 80% of the time I don't cheat, but if I want to cheat, then this is not the client for you.

5. Supports selective file downloads but you need to choose them after you start the torrent (a very small thing, but still...).

6. Not connecting to sufficient peers. Torrent client dont connect to 100% of the peers but this one selects only 55-60% and the normally it should be 75-80%.

7. I don't think it supports DHT. But I didn't try out any Public Trackers torrents to test it. It does have PEX, but I'm not sure as what's this PEX is. Maybe it's just the DHT in another name or does the same function.

8. Sleep management is BS. When the system sleeps, Transmission also sleeps. But check the preferences settings.

9. When you pause a torrent, then it losses the peers. This should not happen. I know when you pause and gradually the peers get disconnected from us, but this one looses all peers.

10. I can't ban any peers.

11. Speed limit mode is BS. It's not working. I've changed the settings in the preferences but still I'm not getting that wok.

I've used this Transmission for some 8 days or so, but there might be some mistakes or I must have overlooked some things.

Apple MacBook users:

*www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Telling you dude. I don't ever bother with whether I leave it plugged in, or discharged or whatever. Still works perfectly.

Btw, since you love firefox so much, you might like this subtle change to the icon...
*www.artofadambetts.com/images/postgraphics/icons/firefox.png
Download: *www.artofadambetts.com/files/iconset/FirefoxIcons.zip

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
1. Slow speeds. Seriously I got less than 13 KBps for a day with 3 well seeded torrents from a Private Tracker! When I restarted it, then it was back to normal.
Besides that, the average speed that I'm getting is only 26 KBPs whereas I used to get 30-31 in utorrent.
I use both µTorrent and Transmission on the same Mac and both run at the maximum possible speed. No problems at all.

In the 'Advanced' tab under the Transmission preferences, check whether your port is successfully mapped and open or not. They may be the problem.

drgrudge said:
2. Where is the "Flush to HDD after...." option? When I had to force shut my Mac, all the data downloaded were gone! That was a 6 GB+ torrent.
Why'd you have to force shut down your Mac? I've never yet had to do that (except once with a developer preview build of Leopard).

drgrudge said:
3. It's downloading a lot of junk data. Packets being downloaded even if it already has it. I know this has to do with the number of seeders and the size of the file, but still the amount it downloads is above average.
Which version are you using?

drgrudge said:
4. 80% of the time I don't cheat, but if I want to cheat, then this is not the client for you.
Agreed. All Mac clients suck in this department.

drgrudge said:
5. Supports selective file downloads but you need to choose them after you start the torrent (a very small thing, but still...).
You got that right. It is an extremely small thing. Absolutely unnoticeable for me. :p

drgrudge said:
6. Not connecting to sufficient peers. Torrent client dont connect to 100% of the peers but this one selects only 55-60% and the normally it should be 75-80%.
Again, check the port forwarding.

drgrudge said:
7. I don't think it supports DHT. But I didn't try out any Public Trackers torrents to test it. It does have PEX, but I'm not sure as what's this PEX is. Maybe it's just the DHT in another name or does the same function.
Absolutely no clue what you are talking about...

drgrudge said:
8. Sleep management is BS. When the system sleeps, Transmission also sleeps. But check the preferences settings.
The latest version gives you the option to prevent that.

drgrudge said:
9. When you pause a torrent, then it losses the peers. This should not happen. I know when you pause and gradually the peers get disconnected from us, but this one looses all peers.
I like this implementation much better. As soon as you pause, it stops immediately and the tracker gets updated immediately too. µTorrent is unreliable in this department.

drgrudge said:
10. I can't ban any peers.
LOL! Who cares! :p

drgrudge said:
11. Speed limit mode is BS. It's not working. I've changed the settings in the preferences but still I'm not getting that wok.
Works for me, though I never need to use it. Mac OS X always gives preference to Safari so your Internet browsing experience gets affected quite negligibly.

drgrudge said:
I've used this Transmission for some 8 days or so, but there might be some mistakes or I must have overlooked some things.
The problem is that you're still a Windows user at heart. Give it a few months and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune.

You just type the name of the website in the address bar in Safari, search for the torrent, drag the download link to Transmission and continue browsing. Who cares about anything else! I know I don't. :p

drgrudge said:
Apple MacBook users:

*www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."
Apple says that, "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally." Since I always disconnect the power cord at night and put the notebook to sleep and then charge it again the next day, I'm doing the right thing. The electrons keep moving occasionally. :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
PEX is a Peer-EXchange feature. Helps in creating "a DHT local to a torrent". Your client exchanges peers with the connected ones. While Azureus's DHT is global and can work trackerless, the PEX isn't so.

drgrudge

aryayush said:
In the 'Advanced' tab under the Transmission preferences, check whether your port is successfully mapped and open or not. They may be the problem.
It's open and mapped.

aryayush said:
Why'd you have to force shut down your Mac? I've never yet had to do that (except once with a developer preview build of Leopard).
The VLC player was playing a currpted .dat file and it got stuck. That time being a new switcher, I forgot the force quit application shortcut.

aryayush said:
Which version are you using?
0.93 (3811) which happens to be the latest version.

aryayush said:
Agreed. All Mac clients suck in this department.
No, did you forget Azureus?

I'm yet to try out other clients, then we can see if other clients got this option.

aryayush said:
The latest version gives you the option to prevent that.
No it does not. It was annoying in the beginning, then I changed the system preferences for sleep.

aryayush said:
I like this implementation much better. As soon as you pause, it stops immediately and the tracker gets updated immediately too. µTorrent is unreliable in this department.
This is not good. I don't have a 2 mbps connection. When I want to browse or quickly load some sites, then I pause the torrent client and resume. When I loose peers, it's an issue for me.

See, you can update the tracker in utorrent, whenever you want to. Also I think (not 100% sure) that there's option where you can set the tracker updates time.

aryayush said:
LOL! Who cares! :p
Some MOFOs who just leech and don't give back need to be kicked out. Yeah, I do check all this occasionally.

aryayush said:
The problem is that you're still a Windows user at heart. Give it a few months and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune.
I want to have a good experience with my Mac. I don't mind changing opinion later on. :cool:

QwertyManiac said:
PEX is a Peer-EXchange feature. Helps in creating "a DHT local to a torrent". Your client exchanges peers with the connected ones. While Azureus's DHT is global and can work trackerless, the PEX isn't so.
Thanks for explaining. So PEX is not DHT... ie, all PEX is DHT but all DHT is not PEX.

By the way, I ditched Transmission for now. I'm using Azureus. The UI is the ugliest I've seen in my Mac but not resource hungry. What's the point of having a high end system? My Firefox used around 3% of CPU and Azureus used around 6% CPU. I've no issues with that. Also Vezu thing sucks, we should use 2.5.0.4 and not 3.0.5.4.

Azureus rocks! In terms of features (which I need and use) it's even better than utorrent! :cool:

But I'm going to try the following torrents in the coming days before I install Leopard:
1. Xtorrent
2. Tomato Torrent (mail2and once said this is the best software on his Mac Mini)
3. Deluge
4. Any other? I'll test and see what's going to be good for my usage. :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Deluge is almost equal to uTorrent, and just as fast. Only, it needs to be charged with some extra plugins from the website. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Tomato torrent is the worst. In the beginning tomato was the only viable option and I hated the mac for that.

@Qwerty: you using some kind of OS X?

Top Bottom