The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Btw, wouldn't it have been supercool if the icon depicted what exact mac was on the network
Yes, it would. My friend's MacBook was identified as a Windows machine when on the Wi-Fi network (and it had that BSoD icon). It did recognise it as a Mac when I connected it through a LAN cable though. Would have been freaking cool had it recognised and shown the exact MacBook icon to represent it (they already have a few 512x512 icons for every Mac model on Leopard, including the Power Mac 64 and iMac G4).

goobimama said:
iTunes doesn't follow the unified interface in all it's glory especially when it comes to the inactive window. Finder and Safari and such go very pale when the window is not selected. iTunes stays it's selected dark colour
No, it doesn't. Not on my machine. See this picture:
*img228.imageshack.us/img228/5656/inactiveitunesxr7.png
goobimama said:
I also realised why Apple decided not to go with the blue wallpaper. Try it out and see. It looks really crappy on leopard especially with the new menubar.
It looks old fashioned to me but crappy? No.

goobimama said:
Btw, I just noticed that while taking a screenshot with the Command+Shift+4 target mode, you can now move your selection by pressing the spacebar just like in Photoshop. A much appreciated improvement...
It was there in Tiger too, dude. Where've you been?

goobimama said:
Okay I know I'm going a bit on and on over here
No, you're not. This going "on and on" is what this topic is all about. :D

goobimama said:
I find a lacking "artist" view in iTunes. Just as we created Albums in iPhoto before Events came along, I think I am creating Artist playlists instead of some new view in iTunes.

Coverflow does display it the way I want, but running around through Coverflow is not the exact way to find music. I haven't yet conceptualised on how it is going to look, cause Artists aren't exactly the same as iPhoto events, but it can and should be done (especially by Apple). Just a thought.
Yeah... maybe. I'm a shuffler though so it doesn't really bother me. A giant play button is all I need. :p

din

Tribal Boy
DARK LORD said:
Sure dinkar ( is that right ? :) )
Personally, if you have 17K to spend on a music player,

lol yah thats correct, but I love people calling me Din ;) Coz I am very old and when all call me Din I feel young !

17K for the 8GB model ? Your friend bought it ? I checked with the Apple Store here (Cochin, Kerala) and their price is 17,700 for 8 GB and 21,700 for 16 GB !

goobimama said:
You already have my macboyistically fanboyismic review ;)

lol yah and I also downloaded the pdf manual, really nice.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
yash said:
that isn't a screenshot from your computer, is it?
It is.

yash said:
PLZ TELL ME U DON'T WATCH GREY'S ANATOMY!
I don't. I just download whatever is free on the iTunes Store and check it out. If I like it, then I hit the BitTorrent network. I did not like Grey's Anatomy so that's the only episode I have. From what I can see, it seems to be just a music video. Weird. o_O

OK, all you Leopard users, you just have to do this mod. Change the scroll bars of the whole system to the iTunes style. It is extremely easy and looks very good. I don't know why Apple still calls the theme Aqua and why they are still stuck with the old scroll bars. This is how it should have been all along. Check it out here.

And while you are at it, check out the first MacBook Pro with a 64GB SSD too. Watch the embedded YouTube video. That baby is screaming fast! :D

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Din sir, why Touch if you can buy iPhone?

You've told me sometime back that you have many friends in the USA. For some 15.5k (which is getting less day by day), you get a 8gb iPhone. With Jailbreak + AnySIM (these ppl tell no chance of iBrick as well), you can use it in India with all the apps installed.

din

Tribal Boy
@drgrudge

Hmm, never thought of that. That sounds good. So no risk involved in that ? I mean no problems on updates etc ? I just googled for Jailbreak and found some info, but if you don't mind, what is it actually, I mean how it is different from other methods of unlocking ?

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Warrrrranty!

While I'm not running the latest iTunes, it sure is the one that was shipped with Leopard. I guess I'll update and see.

As for the screenshot moving thing, weird. Will try it on Tiger and see if it works the way the new one does.

Now, your iTunes library. How did you get Heroes in there? I'm assuming they are 'those' files? When I tried exporting with Quicktime, it gave me a file size of 480MB or so. Spill it out.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
din said:
@drgrudge

Hmm, never thought of that. That sounds good. So no risk involved in that ? I mean no problems on updates etc ? I just googled for Jailbreak and found some info, but if you don't mind, what is it actually, I mean how it is different from other methods of unlocking ?
Jailbreak is a tool for "freeing" your iPhone/iPod Touch. Which means you can install external 3rd party apps on your Apple iPhone/iPod Touch. Once you're done with Jailbreak, install anySIM to unlock it.

From their FAQ: Could this brick my iPhone/iPood touch?
No, worst case you will have to restore in iTunes.

Also from various news I read, there seems to no issues in unlocking the iPhone. But I can't give you assurance. :p

Warranty and unlocking (98% no chance of iBrick) is a risk you need to take. :D

Personally I prefer iPhone over iPod touch.

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
^^^aryayush & milind can u help guys

problem::::::something is wrong with my leopard i guess .. the spotlight doesn't open when clicked on the menu bar option! it never opens ! and when i click anywhere else or transfer the control to another windows then the spotlight shows and then disappears at the instance

sos !

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
din said:
Don't invest in an iPhone right now. There's no way you're getting it serviced in India. It is also so different from other phones that you cannot even get it fixed even if you're ready to pay for it. No one in India knows about the internals of an iPhone. In fact, no one even knows how to pry open the device without damaging it. Just in case it goes kaput after purchase, you'll end up with a pretty expensive brick. Exercise restraint. It is coming to India in just a few months now. (It is crap, by the way - so you should just buy the iPod touch and get it over with. :p)

goobimama said:
I'm assuming they are 'those' files?
LOL! Yes, they are. How can they not be. :D

goobimama said:
Now, your iTunes library. How did you get Heroes in there? I'm assuming they are 'those' files? When I tried exporting with Quicktime, it gave me a file size of 480MB or so. Spill it out.
Were you sleeping when I was talking about how I prepared album art for Heroes? What's you think that was for? Being stared at? Advertising my predictable Photoshop non-skills! :p

Anyway, the devil is in the details, my friend. You don't export it, you just save it. Open it in QuickTime Player and hit ⌘S. It will be re-saved as a QuickTime movie. Drag and drop it into iTunes, snatch the details from the iTunes Store and tag it properly. You can even grab that gorgeous looking artwork here. :D

Works with every other format, by the way. Even high definition. Oh, I just love it when you don't know stuff I do. :p

goobimama said:
Also, the new scrollbars do look better than the Aqua ones, at least in going with the new 'look'.
Good. Now that we have established who is the guy with the better taste and aesthetic sense here, follow one more tip. Go to the 'Appearance' preference pane in System Preferences and change the 'Appearance:' from 'Blue' to 'Graphite'. Once you get used to the change, believe me, it totally rocks. Goes in with the new theme and all. Try it. :)

spironox said:
^^^aryayush & milind can u help guys

problem::::::something is wrong with my leopard i guess .. the spotlight doesn't open when clicked on the menu bar option! it never opens ! and when i click anywhere else or transfer the control to another windows then the spotlight shows and then disappears at the instance

sos !
You're still stuck on build 9A499, aren't you? It will fix itself when you restart.

goobimama

 Macboy
Don't feel offended by this (I'm not sure if it symbolises that someone is dead or not), but here's my reply to that tip on adding files to the iTunes library:

:)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL! I understand the intention but that is not exactly a very encouraging graphic image, dude! All it needs is a garland and it'll be complete. I'm officially dead. :lol:

You're welcome, by the way. :)

@Yash,
Turns out my Dashboard problem isn't as unheard of as I'd thought. And it has started happening again. No solution in sight either. :(

Top Bottom