The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

praka123

left this forum longback
kernel panic means kernel failed.try wikipedia for more reference.
wikipedia said:
A kernel panic is an action taken by an operating system upon detecting an internal fatal error from which it cannot recover; the term is largely specific to Unix and Unix-like systems. The kernel routines that handle panics (in AT&T-derived and BSD Unix source code, a routine known as panic()) are generally designed to output an error message to the console, dump an image of kernel memory to disk for post-mortem debugging and then either wait for the system to be manually rebooted, or initiate an automatic reboot. The information provided is of highly technical nature and aims to assist a system administrator or software developer diagnose the problem.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

kernel panic occurs verrry rare.
but in my windows xp sp2 last usage time(2005) in my pc,i remember getting BSOD's infact with all drivers and firewall everything set alright.by that time i am accustomed with Linux very well and dumped M$ windows for all.

even my friends also uses windows os experiances BSODs esp the one who uses vista home?something in his laptop.he gets BSODs on almost every boot and that lag in every action opening win explorer to opening winamp all lags!.still like many windows power users he is adamant on using windows wtf? :rolleyes: while i still tried to evangalize(FOSS got no ads like u mac nd windows!apart from mouth to mouth spreading and internet.so i am doing this!) him to GNU/Linux Ubuntu :D

yash

I draw every day
yeah. that kernel panic hit me out of nowhere. the system wasn't even under a lot of stress, no unusual programs were open, and suddenly, the curtain starts closing on me...if u know what I mean...

goobimama said:
From Tuaw:

Pure genius!

I have that applied to my downloads stack too.

Last edited:

narangz

Web developer
Okay I get it. So bugs etc. are the main reasons in Mac.

Btw- @Praka- That BSOD on Vista boot-up is mainly the result of those emulation hacks.(No more Windows discussion here by me. I am not going to ruin an Apple thread :) )

goobimama

 Macboy
Leopard is a very new OS. Most people who want stability will wait till 10.5.3 or so before upgrading. I for one have not experienced a kernel panic on my Mac (yet, and I hope it stays that way)

--------------------------------------------------------
Found it quite funny so I thought I'd post it here :)

Al-Quaeda to acquire distribution rights for Vista Home Basic

In a spine chilling twist to the whole war against terror, it has been reported that there is now conclusive evidence that Microsoft may have actually sold distribution rights for their most dreaded piece of code yet –Vista Home Basic – to the Al Quaeda.
The report has had member countries of the UN, NATO, Commonwealth and The ICC scrambling for their remote controls to see how this will affect world peace and ad revenues. Vista Home Basic has already rendered 87,000 people in Georgia homeless, turned 16 high school teachers into binary digits, incited a typhoon just outside Tokyo and has generally upped the increased the risk of cardiac arrest of over the 200 million users by 47%.

Relatives and friends of Vista users are reportedly suffer from what is being termed Operating System Backlash Suffering & Anguish (OSYBSA) caused by having to listen to millions of sob stories the answer to all of which seems to be “then why don’t you switch to Macs”.
Read on: *www.bosey.co.in/2007/10/al-quaeda-to-acquire-distribution.html

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
its not hilarious, its ridiculous.

btw, about leopard, my college has not officially shifted to leopard yet, even though it has the biggest mac labs in canada. and even I haven't officially upgraded to leopard yet.... I'm just testing it for bugs...LOL and I think I'm doing pretty good. ;)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Finally I'm posting from a Mac. This piece of hardware is amazing!

Got a issue already. This MBP gave 'shock' initially and whenever I insert this Megsafe thing, I'm feeling some mild vibration.. why is it so?

Also I'm not able to see the small Apple Logo in FX (I can't think of any other browser) but in Safari it shows up?

Goobi, I think we need to the thing we did last night... :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Laptops give shocks if the power socket is not right or if you are using an extension cord/spike buster thingie (sometimes). As for the apple logo, yes, it shows up in Safari.

Congrats on the Macbook Pro btw.

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
No :(

Yeah, since this "machine" is from the USA, the socket is different. I'm using 2 adapters now. An Indian multi output one with a British spike buster and an USA adapter to the Mac. How to resolve this?

Or is it due to power socket issue?

yash

I draw every day
Yeah, I will call it official once I actually buy leopard.

Now, a couple days ago, I found out my time machine backup partition is much too small to be useful, (it only ended up saving about a week or so).. So I wanted to 'resize' the partitions on my external HDD, but that little dot in the center that u can drag up and down to modify the partition, didn't show up.

*img135.imageshack.us/img135/411/picture1jh5.png

So I decided to back up my data on volume LaCie to my laptop hdd, and format the whole thing and make suitable partitions. When I select two partitions in the volume scheme, the drag thing is there. But...
oopsie, bad screenshot.

*img206.imageshack.us/img206/4903/picture1bv0.png
there!
after the partitioning was done, that dot and bar disappeared again. meaning, you can't dynamically resize your partitions in leopard disk utility. this totally blows.

drgrudge

goobimama said:
Is it the 110 volts one? with the two thin pins with holes on them?
Yeah, that's the one. After charging to 100%, I always take off the power. I did that in my Dell laptop. I'll have to do the same for battery performance?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Guess what's finally hitting Indian shores
*www.tech2.com/india/news/mac/apple039;s-leopard-is-here/22055/0

Available for Rs 6200 for a single user license, Rs. 9660 for family and a just Rs. 461 if you bought a qualifying Mac after October 1st :D

drgrudge

narangz said:
^^ Batteries are made up of same chemicals :D That's the case with every Li-ion battery.
Well, thats what I'm going to do, as far as possible, unless someone else convinces me otherwise. :D

The earthing/mild shock still occurs... any solution guys?

drgrudge

^^
How to do that? I mean should I call an electrician and get this sorted out? Goobi suggested a stepdown thing (220v to 110v).

Top Bottom