The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
My Mac should have around 30GB free, but it is showing only 1.55GB of free space. This is so infuriating. I have to go to Siliguri tomorrow and I was thinking of carrying Smallville along with me but due to this, I cannot. :(

Please help me out urgently!

Use some of the tools I mentioned long back to minimise the Mac OS X disk usage be removing old cache files, temp files etc

yash

I draw every day
do u use mozy? mozybackup? that is what I had heard caused this kind of problem in a lot of cases.

praka123

left this forum longback
goobimama said:
Do that terminal print-file-list thingie (don't know the exact command). That's what I saw in a thread with a similar situation where space was suddenly used up...
what command yaar?to list files ? it is "ls" or "ls -l" .disk space and free space are shown with "df -H" command(in Linux).try this in terminal if u dare to :D

yash

I draw every day
*blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=907&tag=nl.e622

what do you guys think of that? specially want to ask the leopard users, do they experience those problems? are they bugged by it or do they think its ok... then again, why is that? is it just that the 'apple is so cool' curtain has blinded us or we genuinely aren't bothered by small little nuisances?

goobimama

 Macboy
I don't know about the others, and what problems they are having, but until now, and I consider myself lucky, I've had absolutely NO problems with leopard. I've no problems with the Time Machine 10GB problem. No installation problem. No Alex problem that Aayush has had. I'm saying all of this truthfully and honestly. No hangups.

And as for the huge amount of criticism received for the new dock and menubar, I love both of them! Honestly!

I also think that many others are as lucky as me with no problems as it's usually the one's who have a problem that make a noise about it. It's the same case with the 10.4.10 update. I stayed away from that update cause there were problems of kernel panics and such associated with that update. But when I did install it there was *almost* no problems (audio popping issue sometimes)

Woah! Now that I removed Vista and put XP on my PC, I can finally share internet with my Mac. I thought, why not use Mail for a change. Little did I know, I just had to enter my Gmail ID and password and the whole thing was taken care of! Nice...

And the dashboard web-clips thing is also pretty awesome. (only a little buggy in that I can't access the options for web clips...the 'i' isn't showing anywhere)

@leopard boys: are your screenshots using the command+shift+4 coming a little blurry? The com+sh+3 screenshots look sharp, but the other ones are a little blurry...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, guys. I probably will not be able to post anything for a few days.

So, here's wishing all of you a very Happy Deepaawali! Don't hurt yourselves and I look forward to chatting with you guys again after November 12.

Bye! :)

yash

I draw every day
hey, same to you aayush. and same to all of you others on my behalf.

About leopard problems, I have a peculiar case... I enabled sharing on a pictures folder so that i could share it with ppl in my house, and even though the permission for 'everyone' excemt me is set to read only, the virus on someone's windows machine, created files of the folder name inside every folder that was accessible. I had seen this kind of behavior before, so i knew what to do.

So, my shared files are modifiable by others even though the permissions say only I can read AND write in that folder. really annoying.

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
hey dude i turned off the backup stuff even my poor 27.82 Gb drive only showed 16.14 gb free but now as i have disabled the backup and did a cleanup using disk manager i am gleaming again ..

question : what should be the HDD con-fig i mean type make and brand if i need to buy a 80 gb or higher for my I BOOK G4. and as i know how to dismantle i seek advice how to upgrade manually (ps my warranty is blown away already)

advance wishes of Happy deepavali to all of you guys !!!

yash

I draw every day
i know ibooks can take firewire 400 so look for a portable firewire hard drive. look at ones from iomega and lacie.

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
yeah milind i want to swap the internal HDD well i am confused man .... there are few thing more i happen to have a 512 MB ram of my sony viao lappy that crashed into my scrap yard .. :D so i got a 80 GB HDD a faulty mb vaio, a working monitor of viao and yeah twin 512 mb rams too

any suggestions MILIND?

goobimama

 Macboy
Well if the RAM is compatible with the iBook (SODIMM 333Mhz DDR1) then you can most surely use one of them. I think the iBook comes with 256MB soldered onto the board with one expansion slot.

As for the hard drive swapping, if you are geeky enough to open the thing, then it should be a non issue. Just swap the hard drive with the new one and boot with the Tiger/Leopard install DVD. This is at least the case with the macbook, I haven't seen the iBook internals and how they work (whether soldered on or not).

Not sure about the monitor/MB...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was apprehensive about how well the data detectors work in Mail in Leopard. But just look at these two pictures:
*img107.imageshack.us/img107/6951/datadetectorsinactionoq7.png*img441.imageshack.us/img441/4084/picture7sn8.png
Turns out, they work quite well. Everything was accurately gleaned from the email. Pretty neat! :D

Bye again.

yash

I draw every day
OK! the bubble finally pops on me! just one night before diwali! here goes!

- I can't dynamically resize the partition on my external hard drive!
- Photoshop cs3 is running slower than it did in Tiger
- As I restarted my laptop, I got a message pentabletdriver crashed unexpectedly(yeah right).

And I'm not ready to go with it anymore. just days after I FINALLY deleted the tiger partition! What! steve jobs is probably snickering right now going 'gotcha!'

goobimama

 Macboy
Well it is still 10.5.0. Those who don't want to start off with the bugs should come in maybe after 10.5.2 or something...

Also, how much RAM you using?

Last edited:
Top Bottom