The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

praka123

left this forum longback
so..cant @dark lord schedule.btw normally vixie-cron is what is used.
googling "man 5 crontab" will be helpful.btw i am using bb on bridge mode and in Linux.so cant comment more on mac as i dont use it.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Haha, the world is a small place after all :)

@arya:
That "this" link is a link to my post itself. I'm x3n1x there, and that script doesn't work too.

First, I need a shell scrip that will reboot the router. If that is done, it will be easy to schedule it. I need the script that will reboot the router.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
DARK LORD said:
Haha, the world is a small place after all :)

@arya:
That "this" link is a link to my post itself. I'm x3n1x there
LOL! I'd sorta guessed that. :)

Google has made this world a small place.

goobimama

 Macboy
Since I removed Vista and put XP from the PC, I didn't bother putting Safari on it. Only now I realise what Safari means to me. The snapback feature, the text box resizing, the RSS. I miss Safari and gonna download it right away...

[And I must say, Safari for Mac looks smoking with the new 'look']

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It is screaming fast too. What is it with Leopard! Everything seems to be on steroids. I'm sure they have a patented new technology for Spotlight that allows it to read minds, applications launch before the completion of the first bounce, Mail seems to be ridiculously fast, Front Row has no lags whatsoever... like I said, it must be the steroids. :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hey, I didn't know that was possible. Thanks! :)

Though I, in general, really appreciate the Mac community which has a lot of intellectual people writing good opinion columns, great websites recommending the best in software, sites like TUAW offering exhaustive coverage of all things Apple and fledgling forums all over the web full of enthusiastic Mac users eager to help other users, there is something wrong with the Mac community too.

And that is excessive attention to absolutely non-significant detail. Look at this picture. Just consider this for a moment: This situation would occur only when iTunes is the active application and the wallpaper is the one that is there by default. And even then, it only affects a tiny little 'o' that no one would notice.

And yet, somehow, this is the reason why people hate the translucent menu bar. Whoa! Get over it, folks. There is nothing wrong with the menu bar. The text is very clearly visible and I'm hundred percent sure that there can never be any readability problems there.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
One of the comments in that link of yours:
To be honest I don't really see the problem with the translucent menu bar. If anything I prefer it to the old menu bar. Yes, you'll find the odd desktop picture that doesn't suit it, but most I've tried have looked perfectly fine. If anything it's an improvement as it helps fade out the menu until you need to mentally focus on it. In previous versions you always had this white stripe trying to catch your attention.
Totally agree with this one. There are *some* pictures that don't go with the new menubar, but on an overall, it makes the desktop look much better. And readability has *not* been an issue as of yet. And I constantly switch between Coda, Photoshop, Indesign so the menus keep changing, but still readable.

yash

I draw every day
I only have 1 gig ram. I tried using the recommended minimum allocation, and I tried using the maximum recommended allocation. not much difference.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This is friggin' amazing. Milind was right.

My friend, who has a MacBook with Tiger installed, came over and joined my Wi-Fi connection. Immediately, he appeared in my Finder sidebar under the Shared section. WTF is this! This is absolutely zero configuration networking. One-click backup and zero configuration networking!

This company is staffed by friggin' genius mind-readers, I tell you! :D

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I can't run a shell script to run using iCal. It only takes .scpt files

Also, I'm friggin amazed by the Touch. Me and my friend visited Chroma superstore and that thing is just awesome. He's buying it tomorrow :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Yeah that network thing is pretty amazing. And especially so when it comes to connecting with my PC :D
It still has bugs though, but overall the way it is *supposed* to work is great. Btw, wouldn't it have been supercool if the icon depicted what exact mac was on the network (like how the iPod icons are the exact same model and colour). I know it's asking a lot, but when it comes to Apple, we are a spoilt lot...:)

Two things I noticed:
iTunes doesn't follow the unified interface in all it's glory especially when it comes to the inactive window. Finder and Safari and such go very pale when the window is not selected. iTunes stays it's selected dark colour which can get confusing sometimes.

I also realised why Apple decided not to go with the blue wallpaper. Try it out and see. It looks really crappy on leopard especially with the new menubar.

Btw, I just noticed that while taking a screenshot with the Command+Shift+4 target mode, you can now move your selection by pressing the spacebar just like in Photoshop. A much appreciated improvement...

___

Okay I know I'm going a bit on and on over here, but I find a lacking "artist" view in iTunes. Just as we created Albums in iPhoto before Events came along, I think I am creating Artist playlists instead of some new view in iTunes.

Coverflow does display it the way I want, but running around through Coverflow is not the exact way to find music. I haven't yet conceptualised on how it is going to look, cause Artists aren't exactly the same as iPhoto events, but it can and should be done (especially by Apple). Just a thought.

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
DARK LORD said:
Also, I'm friggin amazed by the Touch. Me and my friend visited Chroma superstore and that thing is just awesome. He's buying it tomorrow :D

It wil be really great if you post his experience and comments after buying it ok ? I am planning to buy one in the near future and would love to get some feedbacks from Touch users.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Sure dinkar ( is that right ? :) )

Personally, if you have 17K to spend on a music player, then its really worth the money. Safari is fast as usual, the UI "is so cool" and the Touch is really something you'll cherish.

But I'd really suggest that you try it yourself than listen to others' opinions. :)

Top Bottom