The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Sunny1211993 said:
^^
he wants nothing less than 17".
XP for him and rest for me.
i want to show my Dad that linux isnt Cr@p.
Vista ,just to show off.
and leapord coz i want to give it a try.
never used it.
A brief run up...
XP - Ok, to play games; run softwares and Dad needs
OS X Leopard - for you to try and maybe your default OS
Linux - it ain't cr@p.
Vista - show off? You can show off with Leopard, Compiz fusion more than Aero heap.

Your Options now...

1. 15" Lower end MBP - 2000
20" Cinema Display - 600
Total - 2600

2. 13" higher end MacBook - 1500
23" Cinema Display - 900
Total - 2400

3. 17" MBP - 2800

Note tha you get 1280x800 on MacBook, 1440X900 on 15" MBP, 1680 x 1050 on 17" MacBook Pro, 1680X1050 on 20" Cinema Display, 1920X1200 on 23" Cinema Display.

I would prefer 13" MacBook with 23" Cinema Display. I get the best of both worlds. Good reolution LCD (for Work, Movies) and good system to just work on.

@goobi-no probs with getting MS office.i usually get it in a week or 2 of its release.
actually my dad does.
i have quad booted my pc in this oct-sept without any probs.
m getting a new pc in jan.ill make it a qaud or penta boot pc.
i like linux and i want to try em all simutaneously.im crazy so dont argue wit hme on this topic.
and yes ill surely try leapord on my dad's macbook.it looks cool.
BTW can i install macosx on my pc??

goobimama

 Macboy
Btw, no need to go in for Cinema Displays. Nowadays, it's better to just get a DELL 20" or something. Works out much cheaper than the Displays...

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
drgrudge said:
@Darky,
What software? By the way, are you an altruist? :twisted:

MailPlane. Got the beta user's discount combined with the education discount.

Altruist ? Yea, my 15th gold mine is almost empty now.

i think i need to get a mac for me too.
but im a guy who likes constant hardware updates.thts why getting a pc with a powerful config.
no probs ill use my dad's macbook.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well, the Mac is no PC. Installing Linux on the Mac is not the same as on a PC. It's quite easy, but not in the same way as you would think. Anyway, you can pretty much install Linux via VMware so you can try all the distros you need without ever creating a partition.

You cannot legally install Mac OS on a PC...

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.4f30dd4979.jpg

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Want me to post a video? I assure you my skills are next to nowhere in Final Cut pro..:)

But it's not the entire truth. This copy belongs to...shall, I say Santa Claus? Well I was just about planning on buying Leopard, when I realised I could instead help out the independent software developers. So as soon as the paypal account is done, I'm gonna get Coda, and some others here and there. (damn the credit card company).

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm sure you might have read this:
Newsflash: Microsoft messed up. Yes, I know, that doesn't come as news to most of you (that's why you're here), but Joe Wilcox over at eWeek was surprised by the fact that while Apple's Leopard Family Pack pricing lead to some nice sales numbers, Microsoft instead decided to discontinue their family pack prices.

Basically, you could buy OS X 10.5 as a single copy for $129, or a "family pack" (installations for 5 Macs) for $199. And a whopping 33% of Leopard sales were of the family pack version, even though OS X doesn't require any validation at all-- users could just have bought the $129 version and installed it five times.
via TUAW

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Goobi -
Why got senti? I asked it in good health.

I've got $20 in Paypal. I'm really planning to donate $10 to VLC Player. :D Another $10 to ???

The validation is not there because:
1. Apple charges more for Hardware
2. Loyal Customers

But I guess they need to make life harder for people who want to install OS X on a non Apple Hardware.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well in Goa the price is 1.46lac. But Goa is the last place for good prices so you should get it at somewhere around 1.35lac or something. Of course, I've been to Delhi only once so...

you said said:
Goobi -
Why got senti? I asked it in good health.
Not sure what my reaction was. Anyway, I was just discussing what my plans were... Also, I might just go ahead and buy Leo as well, cause I'm amazed by it every day...

Btw, I just installed "Candybar 3". All this while I was thinking, how great can an icon changer be? After all, it is so easy to change icons using the default copy-paste method. But this one is another 'wow'. Smoking interface, and really simple to use... And it's got a dock changer as well (leopard only).

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
OMG! You tried both?
Yes, I did. I prefer Parallels Desktop to VMware Fusion. Parallels is an innovative company. They generally are the first to come out with cutting edge features and buggy betas. VMware takes their own sweet time between updates and they basically just copy-paste Parallels' features. VMware does utilise the hardware better though. :)

Sunny1211993 said:
Hello, and welcome to the Apple thread! :)

Sunny1211993 said:
my Dad wants to buy a MacBook.Budget is 1.25 lacs.
which one should he go for??
MacBook Pro 15".

Sunny1211993 said:
i think 17inch 2.4 GHz macbook which costs 2,799 $ wud be gr8.
what u guyz say?
It is very heavy and exceeds your budget, but is otherwise a mind blowing machine.

Sunny1211993 said:
but guyz plz tell is macbook pro worth buying?
Totally. I have owned one for the past year and a half and I can say it with hundred percent confidence that this is absolutely the best purchase decision I've ever made and I'm totally satisfied. The machine is extremely stable, scorching fast and boy, is it sexy! The customer service is top notch too, not that you have many chances of testing it out. I don't think there is any drawback at all.

Sunny1211993 said:
thnx for sugg bro.bur 2 GB ram wud be enuf.
Not if you intend to run more than two operating systems.

Sunny1211993 said:
he uses excell.im going to make his macbook a triple or quad boot one.
1. That is very difficult to do on a Mac; and
2. It is difficult because it is a stupid thing to do.

Apple tries to make sure that you don't end up messing your computer, so they give you limited choices. I don't mean any offense. Just trying to be frank and give you good advice. :)

Sunny1211993 said:
Win XP which he likes
He won't anymore, once he's used Mac OS X for a while. You can install it using Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. That way, you won't need to restart your Mac every time you want to run Windows. You can run both operating systems at the same time - the best of both worlds.

Sunny1211993 said:
MacOSX leapord whic comes preinstalled(does it)
Yes, it does. It is the most advanced operating system on planet Earth.

Sunny1211993 said:
can i install it on my pc too??
No, you cannot.

Sunny1211993 said:
any linux distro to tell him that linux isnt cr@p whic he ususally says
Installing an operating system just to prove a point does not seem like a very wise move to me.

Sunny1211993 said:
and vista(just for fun).
Use Leopard for a while, beta, and you'll forget Vista.

Sunny1211993 said:
does leapord dvd come with macbook pro
Yes, it does but you cannot use it to install it on a PC, in case that is what you intend to do.

Sunny1211993 said:
he wants nothing less than 17".
That's upto him but I am warning you in advance that it is quite heavy.

Sunny1211993 said:
XP for him and rest for me.
Make sure he uses Leopard. Buying a Mac to run Windows on it does not make much sense.

Sunny1211993 said:
i want to show my Dad that linux isnt Cr@p.
Why?

Sunny1211993 said:
Vista ,just to show off.
LOL! Thanks for a good laugh! You want to buy a Mac so that you can load Vista on it to show off? Duuude... :lol:

Sunny1211993 said:
and leapord coz i want to give it a try.
never used it.
Trust me, Leopard is going to be the default operating system that you're going to use all the time.

A piece of friendly advice: Don't buy that new PC now. Use your father's Mac for a month or two and then buy it. I assure you that you'll regret having bought the PC when you've had a chance to use Mac OS X. I've seen a lot of people lamenting over this.

Sunny1211993 said:
no probs with getting MS office.i usually get it in a week or 2 of its release.
Yes, but Mac OS X comes with its own version of Microsoft Office. You don't know how to get that one yet. The newest version, Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, will be released on 15 January 2008. You don't need to install Windows to run Microsoft Excel.

Sunny1211993 said:
i have quad booted my pc in this oct-sept without any probs.
A Mac is not the same as a PC.

Sunny1211993 said:
m getting a new pc in jan.ill make it a qaud or penta boot pc.
i like linux and i want to try em all simutaneously.im crazy so dont argue wit hme on this topic.
Trust me, I was like you. I was exactly like you. I've tried so many different installations of Linux that I've lost count. I'd used every beta of Vista before its release. I've installed and re-installed Windows more than hundred times. I did all that.

And then I bought my Mac. It was like I was finally home. I'd found what I'd been subconsciously searching for all along. Since then, I've lost all interest in trying other operating systems. Why bother when you have the best already! Most probably, a Mac will change you too. It'll make you realise the sheer futility of trying new operating systems all the time, again and again.

All I'm saying is - make your decision after you've used a Mac.

Sunny1211993 said:
and yes ill surely try leapord on my dad's macbook.it looks cool.
It does more than just look cool. Wait, watch and learn.

Sunny1211993 said:
BTW can i install macosx on my pc??
No, you cannot.

Sunny1211993 said:
i think i need to get a mac for me too.
but im a guy who likes constant hardware updates.thts why getting a pc with a powerful config.
Unless you are into gaming, you'll stop liking these "constant hardware updates" once you buy a Mac.

Sunny1211993 said:
last question guyz,what is the exact cost of the 17" 2.4 Ghz macbook pro and where can i get it in Delhi??
Call RSG Infotech at any of these numbers: 40542109/10/11/12.

Ask for Mr Sanjeev Kumar Sharma. You can also call him directly at 9310196603. Tell him that Aayush Arya has asked you to call him, the guy who bought the 17-inch MacBook Pro and the 250GB LaCie hard drive. They'll give you good prices. :)

I know that's a huge novel but I am a writer these days, so what else can you expect! Just read it all carefully. It takes a lot of patience to type that all up but it is worth it if it turns out to be helpful for someone. Hope you make an intelligent purchase and enjoy your new Mac. Feel free to ask any more questions. :)

Top Bottom