The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
aryayush said:
@Milind
Mere mortals have to check back later to see whether their comment on MacUser has been approved or not. You, however, do not. Just one of the perks of knowing the phone number and birthday of one of the bloggers on the team. ;)
Thanks a lot I say!

yash said:
again,

is that pen button mapped to any modifier key or combination?
There's an option in my Tablet settings. If I press the button and move the pen, it scrolls. No modifier key. The best part is, I get the same experience with Coverflow as the iPhone. Well, not the same, but it's a good substitute...

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Today I read this Virtualization Benchmarking: How do Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, and VMware Fusion stack up?.

They say Parallels is just better than VMfusion Ware. But VM supports more OS and Fusion’s support for multiple cores might be evident in encoding and stuffs. XP performed better than Vista (which should not be of any surprise).

Earlier came across this article: Windows virtual machine performance on the Mac.

They say Fusion is better than Paralles and atleast 4X times faster in some tests.

What do you guys think? Which is a better software?

goobimama

 Macboy
I have not used Fusion, but Parallels seems to be mighty sufficient for my needs. It is fast (not sure about benchmarks) and really easy to use. If it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it.

@yash: Wacom Bamboo Fun.

yash

I draw every day
can u take a screenshot of the wacom/pen tablet pref pane and post it here? *tinyurl.com/3ywsa3

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Give us a rough idea of what your dad wants to use the machine for. Depending on that, he could go in for a high end Macbook or a low end Macbook Pro...

^^
office work.using tally and M$ excell.
but he needs a high end notebook.
i think 17inch 2.4 GHz macbook which costs 2,799 $ wud be gr8.
what u guyz say?

goobimama

 Macboy
Hmm. He seems to be needing a large display does he? Cause the 15.4" MBP@1.04lacs would be perfect for office use. If he needs real estate@the office, he can always connect a larger display to it.

As for the 17" MBP, I'm not sure it will come within the 1.25lac budget but I could be wrong.

Check the specs at www.apple.com/macbookpro

goobimama

 Macboy
The 17" MBP might be a little overkill since he is using excel (I don't think Tally is available for Mac). But I've seen the 17" MBP and it is surely a pleasure to work with. I don't think one should get the 1920*1200 resolution one, the 1680*1050 resolution one is very pleasing to the eyes. Just check with your dad if running Tally is of utmost importance. You can run it via Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but it will take up a few of your resources.

Also, I should mention, DO NOT buy RAM from Apple, cause they overcharge.

goobimama said:
The 17" MBP might be a little overkill since he is using excel (I don't think Tally is available for Mac). But I've seen the 17" MBP and it is surely a pleasure to work with. I don't think one should get the 1920*1200 resolution one, the 1680*1050 resolution one is very pleasing to the eyes. Just check with your dad if running Tally is of utmost importance. You can run it via Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but it will take up a few of your resources.

Also, I should mention, DO NOT buy RAM from Apple, cause they overcharge.
thnx for sugg bro.bur 2 GB ram wud be enuf.
there is no urgent need of tally.
he uses excell.im going to make his macbook a triple or quad boot one.
Win XP which he likes,MacOSX leapord whic comes preinstalled(does it)can i install it on my pc too??,any linux distro to tell him that linux isnt cr@p whic he ususally says and vista(just for fun).
does leapord dvd come with macbook pro?

drgrudge

^^
Yes Leopard DVD along with iLife and maybe iWork come with the MacBooks.

Why run XP, OS X, Linux and Vista? Why would he need it, anyway it would take up space in the DVD. Microsoft Office will be pre installed so need to use Windows for excel.

Why not consider 15" MBP or the High end MacBook and buy a Cinema Display (or any other Brand LCD) to augment?

^^
he wants nothing less than 17".
XP for him and rest for me.
i want to show my Dad that linux isnt Cr@p.
Vista ,just to show off.
and leapord coz i want to give it a try.
never used it.

drgrudge

Mac Giving Tree Launched... Get free Mac software!

Get Ambrosia"s WireTap Pro and a bunch of Mac software presents to be unwrapped on Christmas day.

Btw, if anyone's interested, then let me know. If I send an email to a person who register then I get a second software free. Anyone?

goobimama

 Macboy
The Mac will come with Leopard. From there you have option to install Windows Via Bootcamp (free, but you need a copy of Windows, I'd suggest XP). You can also get a virtualisation software like Parallels or Fusion, so you can run Windows apps whilerunning the Mac OS.

I do not think you should run so many OSes. Maybe Windows XP via bootcamp is fine.

Also, wait till MS Office 2008 is released before buying Office for mac. Cause the current one doesn't run at native speed...

If you want to get a Macbook Pro mainly to run Windows, then it's the wrong way to go. However, I can tell you this, you will most likely just about forget about Windows after using Leopard for a while. Vista to show-off? Since when?! If showing off is your thing, then Leopard will surely not disappoint! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom