The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Hmm..
Good. That means I advice him to go for a PC assembled by himself with my assistance instead of a Mac. One potential user chased away thanks to Apple Over Pricing their Computer.

He has obviously not bothered to find out the price in his area that he could get even though someone did tell him that he could get one for 25k...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
MetalheadGautham said:
No. I was genuinely intrested to help my friend get a good upgrade. and yes, he really did want a good Mac.

VFM is always important, if you are an Indian. Its a sad truth thanks to over taxing.
Mac Mini might not be an upgrade unless you have an old PC. Mac Mini is meant for people who can't afford over $1100 and just want a run OS X.

IMO, iMac might be the only VFM angled Mac. For $1100, see it's configuration. Not the mention, the original killer OS and beautiful designed computer.

If you got friends/relatives in USA, then the best time to buy a Mac:
1. Black Friday (iMac 20" sold for $730!!!, modest discounts on Apple Store)
2. Back to School offer ($100-$200 off plus free iPod Nano)

goobimama said:
Hmm..

He has obviously not bothered to find out the price in his area that he could get even though someone did tell him that he could get one for 25k...
I guess you are right, concidering the fact that he started hating Ubuntu since it(and all the Live Discs he tried) could not install on his PC:p. Such ppl are quite dumb, IMO. I guess I will just tell him to try to sort the issue himself.
jamesbond007 said:
Apple fans won't care about price though!!
A new convert like me will always ask 'Why didn't apple bundle Super Driver with MacBook'. Price is secondary for me and many of us, boy we make a statement though!!

My experience with Mac OS X has been great and very satisfactory.
You have no idea how many time I've watched that Apple Leopard tour video !!!
thats why apple is priecy. because you guys don't try pushing them for a price drop. Atleast for some, the reason is simple: a guy needing a Mac urgently will pay anything for one. He would obviously not want apple to decrease the price because he may get humilliated by his friend who casually buys a mac, but this time cheaper.:mad:

Why does Apple call a DVD Drive/Writer as Super Drive? and a Mouse as Mighty Mouse?:confused:

If you went to apple's website hundreds of times to watch that video instead of downloading it once and watching it in VLC with PostProcessing enabled, or in your iPod while sitting in the toilet, you are one serious jacka$$:lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
he started hating Ubuntu since it(and all the Live Discs he tried) could not install on his PC
It's not like I didn't try. I asked around on some of the linux forums, in our open source section, but I couldn't get it to work. I don't hate Ubuntu. If anything I like the fact that Ubuntu is finally picking up, only sad that it didn't in my case. Now I'm hoping that it will boot up on the new machine that I'm getting and we'll see how it goes. I had not 'planned' on making Ubuntu go kabunk on my systems... I don't enjoy the thought of clearing viruses and spyware every week...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The new Preview in Leopard lets you do cool stuff like this:

*img68.imageshack.us/img68/7364/previewmagicik8.th.png

The whole screenshot is prepared using just the default screenshot utility and Preview. Take that, Vista, Windows Image Gallery and PrtScrn combined! :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Heheh... did you post it in the wrong thread or something? Just checking, cause last I heard, the war was being held elsewhere! :D

But yep, I did that screenshot of Daffy in iTunes in Windows (printscreen+paint). There's no JPEG compression slider. So that's the only quality you can expect with a JPEG slider...

yash

I draw every day
goobimama said:
Thing is my Apple store asked me how to enlarge the thumbnails in there. Now I tried it with the pen and it worked. So I wanted to know how to do it with a mouse.

I know the screenshot is off photoshop, but how'd you get the shading effect and the line of icons aligned on the right of the box and such? Don't tell me you did all that in photoshop...

so how do you do it with the pen?

goobimama

 Macboy
the and only said:
I selected one, and happened to use the scroll in the white space at the bottom. It enlarged to the size of the box (screenshot)
There's a button on the pen which I press, and then drag the pen around to scroll. It's weird...I even tried the mighty mouse...

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
MetalheadGautham said:
If you went to apple's website hundreds of times to watch that video instead of downloading it once and watching it in VLC with PostProcessing enabled, or in your iPod while sitting in the toilet, you are one serious jacka$$:lol:

Cool Man !! You think you are the most intelligent man here don't you, in that case we don't care at all!!!

I challenge you to get a mac and reply, in case you are not interested please don't reply and find yourself another thread to argue. I suggest fight club..

We are in peace here and we like it that way !!! Now move your a$$ candy bar!!! LOOOOOL

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Heheh... did you post it in the wrong thread or something? Just checking, cause last I heard, the war was being held elsewhere! :D
No, that screenshot is not meant to prove any point. I'm just showing you how I've captured a video along with the menus and all and even annotated it, all with just the help of Preview. Try doing that yourself and you'll know it aint that easy if you don't know how to get it done. :)

goobimama said:
It's not like I didn't try. I asked around on some of the linux forums, in our open source section, but I couldn't get it to work. I don't hate Ubuntu. If anything I like the fact that Ubuntu is finally picking up, only sad that it didn't in my case. Now I'm hoping that it will boot up on the new machine that I'm getting and we'll see how it goes. I had not 'planned' on making Ubuntu go kabunk on my systems... I don't enjoy the thought of clearing viruses and spyware every week...
I meant my classmate, not you
jamesbond007 said:
Cool Man !! You think you are the most intelligent man here don't you, in that case we don't care at all!!!

I challenge you to get a mac and reply, in case you are not interested please don't reply and find yourself another thread to argue. I suggest fight club..

We are in peace here and we like it that way !!! Now move your a$$ candy bar!!! LOOOOOL
dude! can't you take a joke?
aryayush said:

The whole screenshot is prepared using just the default screenshot utility and Preview. Take that, Vista, Windows Image Gallery and PrtScrn combined! :grin:
neat stuff there! but yes, you posted in the wrong thread. this should have been in one of the several vista bashing threads, not here where nobody is intrested in showing off what each of the others already have
goobimania said:
There's no JPEG compression slider. So that's the only quality you can expect with a JPEG slider...
you mean in M$ Paint? thats the reason its called M$ Paint in the first place.

PS: I will confirm this for the last time: I got nothing against macs, so save your shouting for iMav and gx_saurav. I am kept away, along with many others, from macs only due to their pricing. It might all change with Hackintosh though:D, Or if I finally decide to stop becomming a miser and learn to spend(which I never will)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
MetalheadGautham said:
Ineat stuff there! but yes, you posted in the wrong thread. this should have been in one of the several vista bashing threads, not here where nobody is intrested in showing off what each of the others already have
You'd be surprised. :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh for the love of chocolate chip ice cream will you lay off it! We are interested about knowing what our machines are capable of. Now I have no idea how Aayush has done that, and I hope he can explain himself. I wouldn't generally use that feature of Preview, but you never know when it might come in handy.

You are comparing SMS to the entire feature-set of the most advanced OS? (I know Ubuntu is the 'real' most advanced n all, but this is the Apple thread, we are allowed to say such absurd things)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
MetalheadGautham said:
why? what you are doing in a thread full of already existing mac users is comparable to one mobile phone user showing off to another that he can send an SMS through his phone :lol:
The difference is that everyone knows that you can send SMS through mobile phones. But most people here, if not all, probably did not know of the voluminous improvements in the Preview application in Leopard. I'm making them aware.

In fact, sometimes we even post cool stuff about Mac OS X that we know everyone else knows and yet we enjoy appreciating it. That's what this thread is all about. Chilling out with a bunch of Mac users, helping each other out, keeping ourselves updated with the latest Mac related news and posting whatever comes to our mind. :D

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
The best thing about Mac according to most is its beauty, while I completely agree with this thought, there is another thing which, in my opinion, makes mac smarter than others. Let me put that thing in this way : The very reason for the existence of technology is to simplify our work, its as simple as this statement, technology should make our life simple. Mac is simple
The interface of mac os is not just beautiful, but is so neat, clean tidy that it makes our tasks really easy. I don't mean to say its perfect, its just smarter!!

At the end of the day its all about what you are comfortable at and what makes you more productive. The choice is one's own

@MetalheadGautham
I didn't mean that in bad taste either... it was just the hollywood effect on me!! We're pals now!! ;-)

yash

I draw every day
goobimama said:
There's a button on the pen which I press, and then drag the pen around to scroll. It's weird...I even tried the mighty mouse...

again,

is that pen button mapped to any modifier key or combination?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@Milind
Mere mortals have to check back later to see whether their comment on MacUser has been approved or not. You, however, do not. Just one of the perks of knowing the phone number and birthday of one of the bloggers on the team. ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:

The whole screenshot is prepared using just the default screenshot utility and Preview. Take that, Vista, Windows Image Gallery and PrtScrn combined!
err vista has snip which allows to do this :)

@metalhead: if he cant install ubuntu on his pc and he is d*** then id suggest u to get him a Mac :D (Punn Intended)

* said:
An intro to Windows Vista's Snip tool Thu: 04.05.07 | 4:48P | [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Software[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]| [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PermaLink[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] BY: C. Sun[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microsoft has made taking screen shots easier with Windows Vista with its "Snip" tool. To access it, click the Windows icon then type "snip" and press the enter key. If it's your first time using it, it'll ask you whether you want to load a Snip shortcut into the quick launch bar.
*www.pcstats.com/ArticleImages/200704/Snip1.gif​
When the Snip tool has been opened you have a few image capturing options. You can grab the standard "Full screen" or active "Window" shots, along with the ability to do a "Rectangular" or "Free form" snip. The full screen and window snips are self explanatory, the rectangular option allows you to capture more than a single window up to a full screen if you wanted. The free form option is handy for capturing windows which do not have a standard shape.
*www.pcstats.com/ArticleImages/200704/Snip2.gif​
The fun doesn't end after you've taken your screen shot. You now have the option to write with the "Pen" tool on the image as well as use the "Highlighter" tool to highlight specific sections. Should you make a mistake, simply use the "Eraser option. After you're done you can save it as a PNG, GIF, JPG or MHT (Single file HTML) formats or mail it off.
*www.pcstats.com/ArticleImages/200704/Snip3.gif​
Screen shots made easy, definitely a worth while upgrade over the old "Print Screen" method.
[/FONT]

*Shamelessly ripped from here

Top Bottom