The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
goobimama said:
1) Whadoyoumean? Just have to select any composition using the Quartz Desktop configuration thing. It's a small little icon on the menubar.

I did that but it never asks me to open images it looks very complicated. Suppose I have a folder AnnaK with 10 pics in it, now I want Quartz to display these pics. Can you make it more clearer ??

drgrudge said:
I want to burn some stuffs with Toast. Can I burn directly from my WD Passport or I need to copy to Mac HDD and then burn it?
I burned a Cd with Burn while the contents were on my 1gb usb pen drive

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
You aren't getting the concept of Quartz Composer. It's not a screensaver utility. It just takes any quartz composition, and pastes it on your desktop. That's all it does. Now I understand it's not the most user friendly application, but it's not that difficult anyway. All you have to do is click the menubar icon, then click "load composition" or something, and navigate to wherever you have your quartz files (usually Mac HD > Library > Screensavers or Mac HD > System > Library > Compositions). You can also download these compositions from various sites. Just google quartz compositions and you will find some sites dedicated to this.

As for your images, you don't even need quartz desktop. The functionality is built right into OS X. Just go to System prefs > Desktop. There, you add your folder, wherever it is, then select "Change Picture" every x seconds or minutes.

@Dr: Of course you can. You can even burn it without toast. Just create a "Burn folder" on your external drive. Then drag all your stuff in it, then go to the folder, and click "burn".

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@goobi

you are right I can set the change the wall in every x sec but the point is images don't flip in 3d which is why I want quartz desktop. Now for the last time how to create a quartz composition with my images ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@jamesbond007
Learn to adapt to the Mac way of doing things. Trying to make it work like Windows will mar the experience. I know it is a bit unusual at first but you'll soon get used to the way the 'Zoom' button works in Safari and will find that it is very well implemented. Like Milind said, it really helps in multi-tasking. :)

I know it sounds very restrictive when read but it is a fact that Mac OS X gives you very limited options to meddle with stuff because most times the user himself does not know what's best for him and messes things up when given the chance. I know I do. Everyone says that it is a major flaw of Mac OS X (And in some cases, it is) but IMHO, it is the greatest feature. :)

goobimama said:
@aayush: Have you ever used Scrivener? It's pretty neat. My dad, being a writer n all uses it quite often. Says it's really good for jotting down ideas, and such. Might come in handy for your macuser work...
Yeah, I'd downloaded it when it was released but I'd found it quite useless. I've re-downloaded it now. Thanks for reminding me! Let's see if it makes a permanent place on my system or not. :)

goobimama said:
I was meaning to ask this, and that Security screensaver reminded me. Did anyone manage to find that application that was written for Core Animation during the Leopard preview? Why couldn't they have just bundled it along with the package, at least in the developer tools? While I'm sure it would take a lot of horsepower to run that application, it would sure have been cool just to play around with it.
The one that took all your cover art and kept making towers out of it?

jamesbond007 said:
@goobi

you are right I can set the change the wall in every x sec but the point is images don't flip in 3d which is why I want quartz desktop. Now for the last time how to create a quartz composition with my images ??
Believe me, you don't want to mess with that because it aint no easy task, buddy.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to Leopard because you'll get two awesome modes for the picture screen savers - collage and mosaic. Both are really cool! :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
No yaar. The one that was demo'ed at the June 2007 WWDC. Where the videos look like in AppleTV intro. I don't have to explain more.

@jamesbond: Hmm. You want cube rotation et all. I think you could either search around for a composition that does this, or you can install Quartz Composer and make your own. I hear it is pretty easy to make compositions and you can get the hang of it within twenty minutes. The Quartz Composer will be in the extras on your Leopard DVD.

goobimama

 Macboy
Today I was viewing some pictures in Preview. I must say, Preview has taken a huge upgrade in Leopard. Core Animation effects everywhere. I love the zoom effect and when you delete an image from the list, the others smoothly fall into place. Awesome! It's name should be renamed cause it's not just "Preview" anymore. Instant alpha, PDF editing, it's a bit too advanced to be a "Preview" app...

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Preview in Tiger didn't behave well atleast for me. While browsing 100s of images one would want an Image viewer to have the least functionality for moving to images forward and backwards through a short cut. While Preview has a short cut for next as apple + rt arrow and back as apple + lt arrow, they simply refuse to work for me in Tiger and hence I abandoned it and using Xee.

Query:

I want to change the DVD region code to Region 0. I have many DVDs from different regions, so while playing some of them I accidentally changed its region twice now I have only 3 chances left. I checked all the options in DVD Player and System Pref CD/DVD for changing the region code to 0 but didn't find anywhere to change. The only time I get a chance to change the region code is when I insert a DVD of a different region. Suppose lets say now my current dvd region is set to 4 and say I inserted a DVD of Region 5 I get an option to change the region code from 4 to 5 only and not anyother region!!!
This is weired and freaking me out!! I want to change the regions code to 0 now!! Any one here ......

goobimama

 Macboy
If you want to view all 100 images in a folder, just load all the images into preview (Command+A and then drag them into the preview icon in dock). Then just use the down arrow or up arrow to move between. Also, if you go into fullscreen mode (Command+Shift+F), you can click on the Index sheet feature, which shows you an index sheet in a neat little animation. Try it out. I've stopped using Xee ever since I installed Leopard. Quicklook takes care of all that...

As for your DVD region problem, you should know that there is no such thing as a Region 0. It is an unofficial term used for those discs that weren't encoded with any specific region. Now you will somehow have to flash the firmware of the DVD player (the hardware) so that it allows you to change more than the set number of times (usually 5).

Now I don't know about how to do this on the Mac, but since your hardware remains the same, you could do the firmware flashing et all while in Bootcamp if you want to.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
i flashed my firmware on tiger and I haven't gotten around to testing it in leopard, but i'd imagine it stuck.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
goobimama said:
As for your DVD region problem, you should know that there is no such thing as a Region 0. It is an unofficial term used for those discs that weren't encoded with any specific region. Now you will somehow have to flash the firmware of the DVD player (the hardware) so that it allows you to change more than the set number of times (usually 5).

Now I don't know about how to do this on the Mac, but since your hardware remains the same, you could do the firmware flashing et all while in Bootcamp if you want to.

I have a Standalone DVD Player that I purchased in India and it was locked to the region 5, so I was unable to play DVDs from US. I googled and found out a hack to set it to Region 0 which would play all regions. Since then I've never had a problem in playing DVDs on my Standalone DVD player.
I thought the same concept applies here too ....
How do you guys handle different region DVDs. Now I fear playing DVDs on my MacBook!!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
jamesbond007 said:
How do you guys handle different region DVDs. Now I fear playing DVDs on my MacBook!!!

In Windows we can use DVDRegionFree

In Mac, have a look at XinePlayer or VLC Player, may not work with leopard yet though.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
hey gx_saurav vlc works in leopard.
*www.tuaw.com/2007/12/01/vlc-0-8-6d-improves-leopard-compatibility/

i am using it.but yeah it crashes :(

btw anyone using I-life or Logic Express?

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
jamesbond007 -
AFAIK, VLC plays all DVD Regions without issue. Tried and tested on Windows. Not sure about Mac, but I think there should not be any problem.

VLC never gave me problems, even 0.8.6c. With the Leopard version, it's like a charm on my Mac. It's an OSS but I wouldn't mind paying $10 for it. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
iLife I have. I also used Logic Pro 8, but since I'm not a musician, I don't have any real use for it. Still, it's good whenever my bro's band wants to make a recording...

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
drgrudge said:
jamesbond007 -
AFAIK, VLC plays all DVD Regions without issue. Tried and tested on Windows. Not sure about Mac, but I think there should not be any problem.

VLC never gave me problems, even 0.8.6c. With the Leopard version, it's like a charm on my Mac. It's an OSS but I wouldn't mind paying $10 for it. :)

I thought the same and so I changed the default application to launch DVDs from DVD Player to VLC and then when I insert a movie DVD Vlc opened but didn't play the movie, I noticed that it was Region Problem!!
BTW the $10 that you'd pay is for Pro version of VLC ( never heard of it though) or a donation ???

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
See if you can play the DVD in VLC running on Windows.

VLC is a FOSS. It'll never have a "Pro" version. I meant, I would have considered paying $10 it if it's not an OSS.

goobimama

 Macboy
Woah! Milind didn't know this. By accident, he pressed Command+Shift+A while in a web form, and it did an Autofill. Everything was perfectly filled out... (Safari 3.0 on Leopard)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
drgrudge said:
See if you can play the DVD in VLC running on Windows.

VLC is a FOSS. It'll never have a "Pro" version. I meant, I would have considered paying $10 it if it's not an OSS.
You can still donate to it! :)

Top Bottom