The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Zooming in with a keyboard shortcut

I love Digg. I love Mac OS X Hints. And I love my job. I was just going through the upcoming submissions on Digg when I ran across this tip from Mac OS X Hints (submitted about two years ago) that allows you to set a keyboard shortcut for the Zoom button. If you want to minimise any window on Mac OS X, you can easily hit ⌘M and get the job done. Unfortunately though, Apple’s UI design team forgot that you generally need to hit the Zoom button more often than the minimise button. It is a pain to have to use the mouse (and in case of a notebook, the trackpad) to hit that tiny little button every time you want an application window to change its size. Read more...

Clutch brings the power of a WebUI to Transmission

One of the best torrent clients for Windows is µTorrent and it has one outstanding feature that Transmission lacks, the WebUI. Basically, it allows you to leave µTorrent running on your home computer and then access it from any Internet-connected location in the world with just the help of a web browser (unless that browser happens to be Internet Explorer). I use it on my Mac through CrossOver and it works like a charm.

The makers of Clutch, Malcolm Jarvis, Dave Perrett and Kendall Hopkins, realized what a useful feature this is and decided to bring it to Transmission and they’ve hit a home run. All you have to do is download Clutch from the official website, install it on your Mac, and run it. It places a new item in the menu bar and, once set up, starts the Transmission Daemon and the WebUI. Note that it is independent of Transmission itself. It just uses the daemon which is bundled with the app. Read more...

Piper Jaffray weighs in with a few Macworld predictions

Gene Munster, the Apple analyst at Piper Jaffray, has spoken up and he has a few predictions up his sleeve. Among other things, Mr. Munster believes that we are going to see a new, slimmer MacBook at Macworld Expo 2008. It will use the new 64GB flash drive developed by Samsung and will have some futuristic multi-touch coolness thrown in. He also expects Apple to announce movie rentals being added to the iTunes Store and new content, like games, for the iPhone and iPod touch that would take advantage of the advanced multi-touch capabilities. However, he also goes on to say that he does not expect to see any form of a tablet Mac or a sub-notebook form factor at the upcoming Macworld Expo, nor does he see a 3G version of the iPhone coming our way this January. Read the full article over at the Silicon Alley Insider.

My thoughts? I think he is a bit off on the tablet/sub-notebook prediction but other than that, all of it seems to be pretty much on-the-mark. I sincerely believe that Apple has a great chance right now to introduce a highly portable notebook and grab a sizable nugget of the market which is just waiting for such a product to drop from the heavenly abode of the super secret labs in Cupertino. I see no reason not to make this product. Of course, my super powered third eye might be a bit clouded by the tiny little fact that I am dying to lay my own hands on such a notebook, so take it with a huge chunk of salt. Read more...

[Via MacUser]

Enjoy! :)

BTW, guys, check out this post if you are a Heroes fan. Awesome, isn't it! :D

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
lol. i just got asked to send someone leopard dvd. all the way from oakville to New delhi! haha!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Does the MBP have 6 cell or 9 cell battery? I'm still amazed by the efficiency of the battery.

This is my setup:
- turned BT and Wi Fi off (I don't need them now)
- screen brightness reduced to 20% (below which is uncomfortable)
- not charging beyond 100% (I don't want to take chance, Apple also recommends this)

With all this in place, my MBP works for 4 Hrs 15 mins*! That too I've a USB mouse connected. I think it'll come for over 4 hrs 45 mins if I'm on the move/not connecting any USB devices!

Maybe the battery is this efficient because of the LED backlit LCD. My Dell Inspiron hardly comes for 2 hrs 45 mins with the same setup!

* Atleast for 2 hours the screen is on, no multimedia playing and no other USB devices are connected.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
With Bluetooth off, Airport on and no usb attached I get around 3hr 45mins to around 4 hrs back up with 100% charged battery on Macbook. But when I run Parallels or VMWare on Macbook the battery backup is around 2hrs to 2 hrs 30 mins. I am satisfied with this but MBP seem to be evem more efficient

drgrudge said:
- not charging beyond 100% (I don't want to take chance, Apple also recommends this)

Do you mean one shouldn't charge the battery to 100% ??

@aryayush

As for your recommendation that uTorrent is best for Windows, I have one particular case with me. uTorrent was also my favourite, but fails to deliver when we are behind NAT. As I've told repeatedly that I am on Cable internet, my download speed during day is 8kbps and during nights (9pm-9am) it is around 20kbps and I am behind NAT. I've tried all the p2p clients but during nights none of them gave me the full speeds, I've tried uTorrent, Bitcomet, Azureus and many others but none of them delivered. Finally I tried my favorite DM Flashget. To my surprise it exploited my bandwidth to the fullest.
I don't know if it bypassed NAT or not but it surely is giving me full speeds while other clients failed

goobimama

 Macboy
What would you guys say if I used to get 6 hours+ on my iBook? Yep. Brightness turned down to around 60%, that's about it. Now it goes up to 5 hours or so...

@bond...jamesbond..: Are you sure you know how to download? Which tracker are you exploiting currently? If it isn't a private one, then you will definitely not get good speeds...

praka123

left this forum longback
with cable internet,no modems in customer side,you can not have NAT working by opening ports,which only the cable internet provider able to open for you.but probing for open ports using nmap or other tools,if ur lucky can find some random open port.best client is azureus which can check for nat enabled or not by using different ports.

drgrudge

jamesbond007 said:
Do you mean one shouldn't charge the battery to 100% ??
You can charge to 100%. But I disconnect from the power and let the MBP run on back up. I believe that this is the ideal setup, which Apple also recommends. I never charge more than 100% unless it's beyond my control.

goobimama said:
What would you guys say if I used to get 6 hours+ on my iBook? Yep. Brightness turned down to around 60%, that's about it. Now it goes up to 5 hours or so...
6 hours! That's staggering! Unless I keep the MBP idle (p2p transfers going on), theres no way it can beyond 5.5 hours. How come, goobi?

goobimama

 Macboy
Apple did advertise at the time that the iBook gives 6 hours of battery life and it did, at least for the first one and half years. But I guess batteries lose their life after repeated usage. I'm still happy with 4.5-5 hours :)
Note. I never bothered with whether the battery is charging, not charging and all that. Just did whatever I felt like doing...

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I tested this for a Knoppix Live Cd iso downloaded a healthy torrent and tested in Azureus and Flashget. I started the dl at 10pm, Azureus gave me avg dl speed of 7kbps and flashget gave me avg dl speed of 15kbps.

I now don't need to worry about NAT anymore!!! do I ????

goobimama

 Macboy
[what's this crappy click to quote system they've added here x-( ]

Question: Does Time Machine backup Everything? Including system files and such?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
[what's this crappy click to quote system they've added here x-( ]
So this is what's new! I've been thinking since this morning that something is definitely not right and just couldn't put my finger on it. D'oh!

goobimama said:
Question: Does Time Machine backup Everything? Including system files and such?
Yeah, unless you specifically exclude them.

goobimama

 Macboy
Weird. Cause I remember the bearded guy mentioning that it 'knows' what to backup and such. I thought system files don't get backed up. So today just to see, I deleted something that looked like a system file (after copying it to a flash drive first). Got it back via Time Machine...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Dude, if the whole system craps out and you need to do a restore thingy, you'll need those system files to save your ass. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Another Question: (hope I'm not flooding here :?)

You must be aware of the Media tab in the File > Open Dialog box. Now, while browsing for photos, I've always found the thumbnails a tad bit small. But today, by accident, I selected one, and happened to use the scroll in the white space at the bottom. It enlarged to the size of the box (screenshot). How does one do this with the mouse? I'm using the Pen tablet scroll. I tried the mouse scroll but it doesn't work. Also, it does not work in the Safari Open box. So far I've only used it in the photoshop one.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/aafe217759.jpg

drgrudge

How do people code on a Windows Box? We got amazing softies on our Beautiful Mac. 4 text editors that I can think of...

1. CSSEdit <-- can't live without it. THE best for CSS coding
2. Coda <-- PHP + XHTML + CSS, I do CSS things in CSSEdit and bring it to Coda to markup with XHTML and PHP
These 2 are sufficient for me, but we have
3. TextMate
4. TextWrangler

I don't know much abt coding and stuffs as I myself just learning things and never attempted on Windows. But always wondered how people code in Windows. Seems what I posted here is pretty much true.

Ohh yeah, don't tell me you use NotePad. Would you use IE instead of FX just because in the end pretty much it's the same and solves the purpose?!

goobimama

 Macboy
Hmm. I haven't tried CSSEdit. Will give it a look-see.

As for Windows, most of the software is butt ugly. I used to use Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I've said it before and I'll say it again - even if Mac OS X had a crappy user interface and looked ugly, I'd use it for the completely mind blowing applications it has. :D

When I'd first switched, I'd asked on some Apple forum, "How do you distinguish between Apple's applications and those of third party developers? They all look alike and function the same." The answer I'd received was, "You don't."

(Yes, I was pretty naive back then. :p)

goobimama said:
Another Question: (hope I'm not flooding here :?)

You must be aware of the Media tab in the File > Open Dialog box. Now, while browsing for photos, I've always found the thumbnails a tad bit small. But today, by accident, I selected one, and happened to use the scroll in the white space at the bottom. It enlarged to the size of the box (screenshot). How does one do this with the mouse? I'm using the Pen tablet scroll. I tried the mouse scroll but it doesn't work. Also, it does not work in the Safari Open box. So far I've only used it in the photoshop one.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/aafe217759.jpg
No way to do it with the scroll wheel, AFAIK.

Top Bottom