The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
guys sorry I ll reply once I finish watching jhalak dikhlaja grand finale !!!!

sorry guys its my query on which you are discussing please understand I ll reply even if its late night

over to sony for jhalak dikhlaja.....

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
DARK LORD said:
Whoa ? You've never used Coverflow ? Even in finder ?
Nope, not yet. They are Leopard specific features naa? If they're on Tiger already, then I need to check it out.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Ohh, I didn't notice.
Well, iTunes has CoverFlow if you have a few videos or if your songs have AlbumArt.

Here, watch it in action

Last edited:

drgrudge

Don't embarrass me guys. I know and heard of AlbumArt but never used it. I don't even know how to get those things. :|

goobimama

 Macboy
iTunes Coverflow is a different trip from Finder. The finder one is interactive. You can flip through PDFs, play quicktime movies, press spacebar to quicklook it, I just can't get enough of it.

@Dr: When is fed-ex going to deliver Leopard to you? You seem to have ordered it pretty long time back...

Don't embarrass me guys. I know and heard of AlbumArt but never used it. I don't even know how to get those things.
You mean you don't manage your music with iTunes?

Last edited:

drgrudge

Thanks for the link Darky. That thing cools cool. Also has anyone tried Apple TV on Leopard?

Now got to try 2 things:
1. AlbumArt
2. Frontrow

goobimama -
I just use iTunes to pay mp3 nothing else. :( Never tried all these good things.

Fed Ex people have other commitments too. I should get that within a week or so. :twisted:

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Adding album art is simple. Just select the track(s) in itunes, make sure the album art box is showing at the bottom left, and then drag you artwork from safari or finder onto that box.

A better way is if you have an iTunes account (Credit card from one of the 22 countries with iTunes store needed). Just right click and select "Get artwork". Works for me!

AppleTV on Leopard? Well you mean Frontrow on Leopard. It looks like AppleTV and yes, I use it more than anything on my mac!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Dr, if you haven't used iTunes with AlbumArt how are you going to add them to your collection ?
If you're wondering the same, I highly recommend "Album Art Thingy"
Its a great little app that runs in the background. All you have to do is play a song in iTunes and it looks up the www to find its AlbumArt and Lyrics and automatically adds it to it. Absolutely no manual work.

@goobi:
You should try AAT too. Oh wait, forgot you had the store account.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Here's a small little guide that gets your media into iTunes and subsequently, AppleTV. Remember, all credits go to Aayush for this:
ou might have noticed that you can't usually add your media files to iTunes library due to a different format. Now the purpose of adding to iTunes could be many.
- Easier access to media while in Front Row
- Better organisation of TV shows/music videos which were not downloaded from Apple iTunes Store.
- Managing your media with movie information, Cover art and such.
- You can play MKV h264 files without the loading time associated with Perian codecs.

Actually, there is nothing to this process. But since I found this tip to be so amazing, I thought I'd share it.

Basically any file that opens in Quicktime, can be converted to work with iTunes. So you open the file, Save As, and save it as a self contained movie. After that you can just add the file to iTunes by dragging it to the Library in the sidebar. Note that if you don't want to copy your media over to where the iTunes library resides, you can deselect the "Copy files to iTunes folder" in the iTunes settings > Advanced tab. Just change it back whenever you are adding music files and such. Also, do not ever click the "Consolidate music library" cause it will copy all your files and going to create a mess.

Alternatively, you can just save the movie as a "Reference movie" and add that reference movie to your iTunes library. This way, your original movie is untouched, the benefits of which are:
- Quicker
- You don't mess with the original container (DTS soundtracks behave differently if in a different container than originally muxed)
- You can transfer the original avi or whatever to a PC and play it there as the .mov container sometimes causes problems on a PC (even on VLC)

Once in iTunes, you can just right click, Get Info, and in the Video Tab, select the video kind as TV show, Music Video, or Movie (default). Of course, you can add cover art by selecting all the files of a particular type, Get Info, and then drag an image into the "Album art" box in the lower right.

There you have it, your media in your Front Row interface, ready to view.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
If he (Milind) uses iChat, he is awfully secretive about it. :p

drgrudge said:
What all effects do we have on a Mac to impress others? I know:
1. Expose (show desktop and windows)
2. Dashboard (with some cool widgets)
3. Cmd + Tab, but that might not impress

Effects are like Chic Flicks, most of them isn't useful but we all love them for that fact our GFs go gaga over it.
1. Try pressing the Shift key when you are going to do something that will be animated. For example, press Shift and then click on the minimise button or the Exposé shortcut keys (screen corners won't work though) or almost every effect in the Dashboard. It shows the effect in slow motion. Do you know why this completely useless feature is there in Mac OS X? Because Steve Jobs wanted to use it just once when demonstrating Mac OS X for the first time at Macworld Expo 2000. Gives a new meaning to the term "perfectionist", doesn't it? :D

2. The spinning cube effect when you switch user accounts. "Enable fast user switching" from 'System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Options'. Now click on your name on the extreme right of the menu bar (just to the left of the Spotlight icon) and choose any other account on your Mac from the list. This is where the spinning cube effect originated from. It is, of course, pretty common in Linux distros now (to the point of being excessive and completely unnecessary).

3. The minimise/maximise genie effect.

4. The sheet effect of Open/Save dialog boxes, "Add Bookmark..." in Safari, etc.

5. The dynamically resizing preference panes all over the system.

6. Exposé. F9, F10 and F11.

7. Dashboard, Front Row and Photobooth (in Leopard) are a treasure trove of special effects.

8. Try entering the wrong password when logging into the system and Mac OS X will let you know that you've made a mistake without a single sound or text message. Genius!

9. I could go on and on. It would be more fun for you if you run across them from time-to-time all by yourself though.

Bonus: TIME MACHINE! :D

DARK LORD said:
You both are saying Expose is NOT useless.

But who said it is in the first place ?
You don't know what Exposé is? Cool! You've not yet used one of the best features of Mac OS X? Awesome!

Just check out this page and this one and let us know if you are still left with any doubts. :)

DARK LORD said:
Dr, if you haven't used iTunes with AlbumArt how are you going to add them to your collection ?
If you're wondering the same, I highly recommend "Album Art Thingy"
Its a great little app that runs in the background. All you have to do is play a song in iTunes and it looks up the www to find its AlbumArt and Lyrics and automatically adds it to it. Absolutely no manual work.

@goobi:
You should try AAT too. Oh wait, forgot you had the store account.
Yes, he has and it is the best way for getting your album art. Album Art Thingy is automatic and all that but the art it fetches is mostly the crappy, user submitted artwork on Amazon.com. If you have an iTunes Store account, you get high resolution classy artwork straight from the horse's mouth. You decide which one is the better way. :)

Making an iTunes Store account is free. As long as you keep yourself in check and don't submit to the impulse of buying something, you can use it forever to grab the album art and the free music and TV shows they have every week without having to spend half a buck. So start bugging that relative in the United States. ;)

Last edited:

drgrudge

aryayush said:
Making an iTunes Store account is free. As long as you keep yourself in check and don't submit to the impulse of buying something, you can use it forever to grab the album art and the free music and TV shows they have every week without having to spend half a buck. So start bugging that relative in the United States. ;)
More info please. Is it mandatory that I've a Credit Card? Why should I bug my US relative?

I think I got a small issue with the Trash. It's always showing the white paper in it, even if I delete it. Also I'm not able to see the things I moved to trash.

Am I infected with Virus? :twisted:

P.S: I think I've deleted stuffs from USB drives and cleared it.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
You can only make an iTunes account with a Credit Card relative(not family relative) to what Country the store is available in. So if you want to make a iTunes account in the US store, you need a US credit card. India doesn't have it's own store yet so you can't use an Indian credit card.

To empty trash, Hold down option, then click and hold on the trash, then select empty trash. This forces it to empty everything.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
If it's bugging you too much, try restarting and empty it as soon as it's back on. Make sure no apps have started (like iTunes or something). Otherwise leave it as it is, there's no problem.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Thank you all arya, goobi, darky, dr for all that discussion. I didn't some of the things that were mentioned. I feel I should spend some more time with Tiger before upgrading to Leopard to get the real feeling of upgrading!!!

@dr
Fed Ex is getting you Leopard!!! Please explain Fed Ex ???

@arya
Who is Milind ? Is he Darky ?? BTW your 9 pointers were great!!

@goobi
If you publish the book as recommended by dr "101 Tips for Mac OS X : A Beginner's Handbook" I am gonna order that one tooo

Top Bottom