The LG Optimus One Thread

gmg9

in the kaya
I have a Nokia n97 mini right now. Wanted to make the move to Android. Budget Rs 10K Max. went through the forum and learnt the Optimus One is the best phone in that price range. But is the LG Optimus One Better than my current phone??
SHould I buy the O1 or just use my Nokia?

two completely diff. platform /os. u just need to decide urself if u wanna spread ur wings in the open sky.

my suggestion: go n try the new android.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I have a Nokia n97 mini right now. Wanted to make the move to Android. Budget Rs 10K Max. went through the forum and learnt the Optimus One is the best phone in that price range. But is the LG Optimus One Better than my current phone??
SHould I buy the O1 or just use my Nokia?

A friend of mine asked me to suggest a good cheap phone, from Galaxy POP, even Micromax A70 , finally as per my advice he settled with LG O1, he was also Nokia symbian user and he is now very happy with this phone. His feedback is somewhat similar to given on start of this page. O1 is nice phone though its 600MHz but still cool as it works smooth.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A friend of mine asked me to suggest a good cheap phone, from Galaxy POP, even Micromax A70 , finally as per my advice he settled with LG O1, he was also Nokia symbian user and he is now very happy with this phone.

nice to know peoples going for proper phone, rather than asking for brand.

His feedback is somewhat similar to given on start of this page. O1 is nice phone though its 600MHz but still cool as it works smooth.

ask him to play with some custom rom rooting once he gets used to Android. Android is best used with custom, crapware free roms.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
I also purchased this phone about 3-4 days ago, and I am loving it... :D
I love many features of it. Its my first smartphone(I have used many non-mine though), so thats one reason to love it. Second, the responsiveness is much better than my old one. Third, battery life is also much better than previous. Fourth, Sound QUality! And for all these reasons I love the phone!

A few questions:
  • I read in a magazine about how to change the startup screen of android. My cousin was saying that if I do this, it will end the warranty and will not allow future updates for me. Is that true?
  • As I am totally new to android, can you tell me how to close an app? I thought that the back button (middle right) does that, but when I check in Norton Utilities or TaskKiller, it shows that the app is still running and using my RAM.
  • How do you people take screenshots of home screens?
  • Is there some keyboard too thats like the keyboard of a computer? Like Shift + / = ?, so that I dont have to search for symbols all the time..
  • Do live wallpapers consume really too much of battery?
  • I added 2 contacts on my home screen and the photo was of default android-man:)?:). After this I clicked pics and assigned them to those contacts, but on home screen the default androidman is displayed. When I click on it, then the pic is displayed.

I hope you dont mind to answer my questions which may be stupid for you....:)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I also purchased this phone about 3-4 days ago, and I am loving it... :D

congrats buddy & welcome to the O1 club.

I love many features of it. Its my first smartphone(I have used many non-mine though), so thats one reason to love it. Second, the responsiveness is much better than my old one. Third, battery life is also much better than previous. Fourth, Sound QUality! And for all these reasons I love the phone!

what was your last mobile?

I read in a magazine about how to change the startup screen of android. My cousin was saying that if I do this, it will end the warranty and will not allow future updates for me. Is that true?

true. & its is really easy to change. but for now stick to whatever s*!t LG packed it with. later go for a custom rom.

As I am totally new to android, can you tell me how to close an app? I thought that the back button (middle right) does that, but when I check in Norton Utilities or TaskKiller, it shows that the app is still running and using my RAM.

this is where it gets interesting. most android app can't be exited. they rest idle in ram but some apps when idle will eat your battery (read google maps). so avoid using task killers & go for fast reboot. extremely light & frees memory.

How do you people take screenshots of home screens?

you'll need Android SDK (along with JDK). or simply use this

Is there some keyboard too thats like the keyboard of a computer? Like Shift + / = ?, so that I dont have to search for symbols all the time..

my last mobile had this option. missing it.

Do live wallpapers consume really too much of battery?

showoff things always takes toll on battery.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
congrats buddy & welcome to the O1 club.

what was your last mobile?

It was a 5-6 year old nokia. I dont even remember the model :))

true. & its is really easy to change. but for now stick to whatever s*!t LG packed it with. later go for a custom rom.
Then I wont go for them soon..

this is where it gets interesting. most android app can't be exited. they rest idle in ram but some apps when idle will eat your battery (read google maps). so avoid using task killers & go for fast reboot. extremely light & frees memory.
Why to avoid them? :???:
And even the browser doesn't exit...:?:

you'll need Android SDK (along with JDK). or simply use this
Thanks. :)

my last mobile had this option. missing it.
I wont miss my mobile ever! :D

showoff things always takes toll on battery.
Hmmm.... Thanks! :)

More questions: :D
After some time, the phone shows messages about data usage. How to stop it from doing so?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@Nipun,

Task killers were made when Android was in its infancy. Versions 1.5 and 1.6 of Android were terrible. But everything changed after Android Eclair 2.1... Task Managers are not useful because they kill a lot of necessary services as well...

Fast Reboot is good. I use it... Sometimes, I even reboot my phone... Because I know that using a task manager would do more harm than good to my battery backup.

Android has true multitasking capabilities, which is very interesting but bad for the battery. A smartphone has very few resources, and especially battery constraints. That is why Apple has avoided implementation of true multitasking, and instead uses saved state to jump between apps.

I reboot my phone every couple of days... That is the price Android users have to pay for true multitasking...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
More questions: :D
After some time, the phone shows messages about data usage. How to stop it from doing so?

pull down the task bar & turn off data usage there (there are 4-5 symbols). or go to setting>wireless>mobile network & first option is data enable.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
But thats for turning off the internet/data na? Thats not what I want. It should still be able to connect, but shouldn't show me messages about usage of every 0.04MBs.... :)

a2mn2002

keen to learn..
Geeks plz answer!

1: what about LG OP NET ? When it is coming !?
2; should wait for net or go for op1 ?
3; to avoid dust issue i want to know the last manufacturd date of op1, to pick the latest .
These 3 are stopping me from buying !

Neo

Let me guess......you are using an aircel sim.
this is the worst thing I feel about aircel.
But even of your area not using an aircel sim , you will have to contact your operator for this

tmanikandan

The Incredible
@ Nipun

Welcome to O1 Club :)

@ a2mn

what about LG OP NET ? When it is coming !?

Not sure about the launch of OP Net in India

should wait for net or go for op1 ?

It depends on ur choice. Personally, I don't like the look of Optimus Net and buttons and its placement in the bottom. It comes with Gingerbread and 800 mhz processor and rest of the the specs are almost same.

to avoid dust issue i want to know the last manufacturd date of op1, to pick the latest .

There are no dust issues any more in Optimus One. If u buy now, your date of packing will preferably be May / June 2011 and if it is an old stock it might be Apr 2011. Dust issues are solved post Dec 2010 / Jan 2011 packing and I think u don't need to worry it nemore.

gmg9

in the kaya
Fast Reboot is good. I use it... Sometimes, I even reboot my phone... Because I know that using a task manager would do more harm than good to my battery backup.

can u plz wat is use of fastboot for general uses n hw its actually helps u..
and finally hw to fastboot in lgO1...

Gollum

Collector
But thats for turning off the internet/data na? Thats not what I want. It should still be able to connect, but shouldn't show me messages about usage of every 0.04MBs.... :)

its your service provider, common with idea, airtel and sometimes docomo.

Top Bottom